HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I overheard in an all-white environment that a meeting is being held Thursday to oppose the relocation of the Indian Friendship Centre to the old PA Proz along with an expansion for a youth centre. While those opposing the expansion claim to not be racist, the conversation I overheard was very racially motivated. They're doing everything they can to downplay they opposition to First Nations. I have other plans for that evening but I am sure the meeting will be an entertaining shit show the likes of which we haven't seen since FOMP and NWMEPC were at their peak in 2010.
So far as the planners were concerned, the meeting failed spectacularly. A dozen came to gripe, and a hundred came to support it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...ents-1.2471548

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super39 View Post
Saw zoning signs up at the corner of Mapleward and Arthur. I believe a lot more lots will be added here soon
Apparently work has already begun on the next set of lots. These will of course be going in behind Mahogany. I think the lots along Mahogany are all sold, so I am not surprised the next phase is a go. There is supposedly quite a view in the next phase due to a slight rise in the terrain, and one will be able to look out towards the Nor'westers from what I have heard. We'll see when its cleared I guess.

Haven't seen it posted here yet (and talking about building lots in this area reminds me), the city is looking for expressions of interest for the purchase of Municipal Golf Course. It is being sold as is for whatever purpose the buyer wants it for (whether it remain as a golf facility, or be used for something else). I am surprised we haven't heard much outcry about this in the media. I suppose people have accepted the fact that the course is history as far as being a city-owned facility.

And speaking of NWMEPC vid, I have a feeling that project is close to being dead. I think the province is altering its green energy program, having finally realized it was a total waste of time and money. I believe the project is going to become financially infeasible once rates are adjusted and the OPA will not be so willing to put 'green energy' on-line. I don't think Horizon will get past FWFN either. I don't understand why Horizon didn't quit this proposal years ago, it totally confuses me. Any sane company would have moved on to something else after even a few years fighting, never mind almost 6-8 years now. I wonder sometimes if there is something more than just a little wind farm in their plans.

Last edited by TbayON; Dec 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
I wouldn't count too much on a Lowes yet. I think with Target's cold reception in Canada and the failure of Big Lots (at least according to company big wigs), American retailers are going to be a little more weary of jumping full on into the Canadian marketplace (I know Lowes is in Canada already, but not widespread). Canada was seen as a grand, unexploited market for many large American retailers without a presence here up until recently, I think that may be changing a bit. Thunder Bay contractors and many residents also tend to be very loyal to several local lumber yards. Home Depot locally has been a failure if one considers their original plans for Thunder Bay (which involved closing down pretty much every local lumber yard within a year of opening).

As for Costco, I would think they are one of the most likely big box stores to set up shop here. I am not sure the grocery marketplace in T.Bay has reached the saturation point yet, even with the arrival of No Frills. No matter the chain, grocery stores are always busy here. Costco would surely be an anchor tenant to get development going in adjacent lands if they permit development.
I live in Timmins and shop in Sudbury quite often. I was surprised at how fewer stores T-Bay has when visiting there compared to Sudbury. I realized Greater Sudbury has slightly more people but both cities draw people from huge areas.

What I think T-Bay really should have because of its market size:

Costco
Lowe's
Princess Auto
Cora or Tutti Frutti breakfast type restaurant
Toppers Pizza

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
they'd have a mild rocky shore with access to fresh water from McVicar Creek and another since-disappeared creek that I believe ran down Pearl.
The spring that fed that creek still bubbles under Waverly Park. It was actually used by the Friends of Waverly Park (there are always "Friends of..." Movements it seems) back when developers were trying to build condos at the Central School site as part of the reason for not developing a condo there.

Quote:
Rona and Best Buy are hurting. Best Buy is actually closing large format stores and moving more towards an on-line store. I don't see either coming to town in the near future until they get their financial houses in order. On the other hand, Princess Auto is a likely one. Having their headquarters in Winnipeg will help. We have seen quite a bit of investment come in from Winnipeg that past few years. I think Tractor Supply Co. is another likely candidate. They have made it up to Sault Ste. Marie now, so Thunder Bay is a logical next step. Canadian Tire needs some competition here, and TSC would do just that. Giant Tiger has missed out on their opportunity with Dollarama's basically covering the whole city now. The demise of Big Lots at the Northwood Mall does present a real good opportunity though. I think a small format Golf Town (or some kind of golf store) is also likely.
BestBuy had Thunder Bay on its radar for many years but has since cancelled those plans as they slowly changed their business model to smaller format stores and e-commerce from giant commercial footprints.

If a new commercial development were created, centered around a Costco, then Princess Auto and Rona would be the most likely stores to be introduced to the local market. London Drugs is not interested in expanding to Eastern Canada at this time. They've not even really entered the Winnipeg market after all. Giant Tiger might join the development depending on its location.

It will be interesting to see what stores move back into County Fair as it undergoes it's own redevelopment.

There is also no Rexall in the local market either. There was, once, but they've long left. Hallmark has all but completed a fairly quiet exit from the Thunder Bay market as well.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 9:50 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
I don't understand why Horizon didn't quit this proposal years ago, it totally confuses me. Any sane company would have moved on to something else after even a few years fighting, never mind almost 6-8 years now. I wonder sometimes if there is something more than just a little wind farm in their plans.
I feel the same way. Go back 3, 4 years and to me it didn't seem to weird, but at this point, the aggressiveness with which they've pursued developing there makes me feel very suspicious.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 12:02 AM

I noticed a Notice to the Public sign has been erected on the property next to Beaux Daddys restaurant along Highway 61. The house and property is currently for sale. I don't think it is an old sign as I have not noticed it before seeing it on my way past the other day. I didn't have a chance to take a closer look at it to see what the application is for.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I live in Timmins and shop in Sudbury quite often. I was surprised at how fewer stores T-Bay has when visiting there compared to Sudbury. I realized Greater Sudbury has slightly more people but both cities draw people from huge areas.

What I think T-Bay really should have because of its market size:

Costco
Lowe's
Princess Auto
Cora or Tutti Frutti breakfast type restaurant
Toppers Pizza
Thunder Bay residents, on average, have less disposable income, and a significantly lower average household income than people in Sudbury and Timmins. Helps to explain some of your surprise, Loco.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 6:43 PM

Northern Credit Union on Red River Rd. is going to be undergoing a renovation soon. A tender is out for sub-trades right now. Renovations will be confined pretty well entirely to the interior of the building. I guess we won't be seeing Northern moving down to Dawson Rd. near County Fair anytime soon (around a year ago, it was posted on here that Northern CU was looking at a building on Dawson Rd.)

A tender is also out for the interior work at the new A&W location at Carrick and the Harbour. The shell of that building is nearly up now.

All of the subfloors in the Marriott hotel from storey 2 and up are going to be replaced, starting very soon. Carpets and furniture also have to be removed from all of the suites. There is no opening date for the hotel. It will definitely be a while now, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a race between the Marriott and Holiday Inn to open first, despite the Holiday Inn starting construction much later.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 1:39 AM
I am a typical

At least the building will continue to exist.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Northern Credit Union on Red River Rd. is going to be undergoing a renovation soon. A tender is out for sub-trades right now. Renovations will be confined pretty well entirely to the interior of the building. I guess we won't be seeing Northern moving down to Dawson Rd. near County Fair anytime soon (around a year ago, it was posted on here that Northern CU was looking at a building on Dawson Rd.)
CORRECTION: I now understand that Northern CU will actually be moving into the former Lowery's store on Red River. This makes a lot more sense. I had a hard time believing they would be willing to put much cash into their current location. Because the tender only specified Red River Rd., I was mistaken that the credit union was staying put.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 2:39 PM

According to local media reports, construction will be back on again soon at 'The Club' Condos at the Thunder Bay Country Club. I don't have any details myself how the project is being re-started, whether they received new financing or if someone else took it over. I am sure some details will emerge once things get going again.

The city building dept. is reporting that the building permit for the second waterfront condo should be issued within a couple weeks. The permit for the hotel is expected to be issued this spring. It is definitely going to be a busy job site very soon!

Apparently a prominent local contractor/developer did look over the new Marriott hotel building as a possible investment. If true, this confirms the building is for sale if someone wants it. It could be a case where the current owner will sell if the price is right, but hold on if they can't get any offers. The contractor's team that went in to look it over supposedly left when they saw light fixtures full of water.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 2:44 AM

Thunder Bay photo updates

A few updates taken around the university area today:

Terra Vista condos:

New university daycare:

Medical building on Oliver Road:

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 6:26 AM

Thanks for the photos. To me it looks like the windows on the Oliver Rd medical building are disproportionately too small. Just my view and nevertheless glad that such buildings are going up around town.

I read on tbnewswatch a few weeks ago that a developer is planning to submit a building permit application for a 6 storey condo/1st floor retail space on the site of the old cineplex on Cumberland.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 12:20 AM

Ideal Kitchen Centre on Frederica in Westfort is looking at putting a pretty decent sized addition onto their building. They are in the preliminary stages right now, so I wouldn't expect to see construction until spring/summer at the earliest. Its definitely a good sign for the city when a small, local company is looking at putting that kind of cash into their facility.

The city has received four bids for the properties associated with Municipal Golf Course in Oliver-Paipoonge. Not much can be said due to confidentially issues. A few details can be found in the article below. For a good chuckle, read the comments of the armchair genius Tbnewswatch posters at the bottom too.
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/3175...ourse-property

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 11:48 PM

It appears the city has re-tendered renovations to several floors of the Whalen Building. A tender originally went out months ago for renovations to help generate interest in the building and for future anticipated growth. I am assuming bids came in over budget, and the city decided to hold out hoping to get a lower bid down the road. There were about 4 or 5 floors mentioned in this latest tender.

Some pretty extensive interior renovations are already underway on another building in the north core. This time, its 214 Red River Rd (image below), which was formerly home to a financial institution I believe. The first floor is definitely spoken for. An insurance company will be occupying that entire level. I believe the upper floors have also been leased, but I'm not sure to who yet. This is another good reminder that jobs and prosperity seem to be returning to the north core again.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 12:45 AM
I am a typical

Gillons Insurance from Fort Frances bought Thunder Bay Insurance, so it might be them expanding?

The building was previously RBC.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 12:53 AM

Their south side location is jammed into a little storefront on May St. They can barely operate out of there in my opinion. On the other hand though, there are so many insurance companies out there (even in a smaller market like Thunder Bay) that its hard to even take a stab at which one it could be.

Now that most of the banks have made their move out of the north core, things are starting to turning around and development happening again. In a couple years time, they will probably all be fighting for space to get back into the north core. Gotta follow the money I guess. If CIBC holds out, they will be looking smart in a few years time.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Now that most of the banks have made their move out of the north core, things are starting to turning around and development happening again. In a couple years time, they will probably all be fighting for space to get back into the north core. Gotta follow the money I guess. If CIBC holds out, they will be looking smart in a few years time.
I thought only RBC had left the north core? BMO, TD, and Scotia are still there aren't they?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:25 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay Insurance closed their May Street location last spring, they expanded on the ground floor of the Tomlinson Block (I think they even have space upstairs), but I think the owner of that building has some other plans for it and the Andrew's Block on the corner.

Only RBC pulled out of the north core. (Desjardins also, they had a small office in the government building in the mid-2000s.) I think RBC wanted to get away from their building at John and Memorial and have more space for the operations, and just couldn't find that in the downtown at this time and so they moved to the new building.

In the south core, only CIBC and Scotiabank remain. They were the only two banks that had doors to the outside. RBC and BMO were both "trapped" inside Victoriaville. I don't recall there ever being a TD bank in downtown Fort William. (The Caledonia Building (Tools Wood) was TD Bank in the past.) Simpson Street used to have a BMO at either end; at the corner of Victoria (now the antiques mall) and at Charry's Corner (the Lock Shop).

So, how's this for a name: Thunder Bay Thunder Moose?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:45 PM

With Westjet Encore expanding east with flights between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg and Thunder Bay and Toronto, will Thunder Bay still maintain the south sun flights that Westjet (mainline) has been offering in the winter seasons?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario