HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Hopefully we will witness some of the surface lots that punctuate the area developed.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Hopefully we will witness some of the surface lots that punctuate the area developed.
Agreed 100%. It is embarrassing how such prominent sites like NW Main and Broadway, the entire west side of Broadway and Garry and SE Broadway and Donald are given over to surface lots. I thought that the Cambrian CU building at Broadway and Fort would be the first of many projects when it was built 12 years ago or so, but it has been followed by absolutely nothing else along that strip... even though the area has changed a fair bit.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 9:55 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Seems like a lot of folks are paying the FreeP for the news...
I use uBlock to get around the paywall.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 10:01 PM

Reading that article on D condos, I gather it has sold at least 60% of the units - the minimum required to start construction. Great news!

Assuming an average of 1.5 people per condo that will an additional 130 people living downtown. A relatively small amount, of course, but with the addition of Glasshouse, several smaller projects in the exchange and the admittedly long shot that is Sky City we could see an additional 1000 or more people living downtown in the next 5 - 7 years.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed 100%. It is embarrassing how such prominent sites like NW Main and Broadway, the entire west side of Broadway and Garry and SE Broadway and Donald are given over to surface lots. I thought that the Cambrian CU building at Broadway and Fort would be the first of many projects when it was built 12 years ago or so, but it has been followed by absolutely nothing else along that strip... even though the area has changed a fair bit.
I concur. It is a shame the Chelsea Court Apartments were not saved, but to see to land not developed only elevates that shame.

There are surface lots (between Broadway and Assiniboine) along Kennedy, Edmonton, Carlton, etc which could become stunning infills a la what we are seeing constructed/proposed for the Village, or statelier designs, such as brownstones (brick, not stucco). Some projects I am fond of could grace the above noted streets:

Last edited by Urban recluse; Nov 11, 2015 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 7:18 PM

^ Good point Recluse, the vacant lots don't necessarily have to be huge. Even some townhouses with middling densities as shown would really bolster the streetscape along the N-S blocks between Broadway and Assiniboine.

Of course, Broadway should get some higher density developments... they don't have to be soaring towers either, even some 6-10 storey buildings to fill in the gaps (preferably with CRUs at the base) would be a godsend and fit in nicely with the dominant type of building heights along that stretch.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Anything built within 350 feet of the river has to be built on piles making townhouses like that very expensive.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 9:41 PM
Ignore these four words.

I like the brownstones in the third picture. Those would fit in beautifully in that neighbourhood.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 9:49 PM
BANNED

I don't know about "very expensive"; pile construction is not unique.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 10:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I like the brownstones in the third picture. Those would fit in beautifully in that neighbourhood.
It is time we see such designs in this area, as well as West Broadway and the Village. Many of the new developments we are witnessing in these neighborhoods are...moderately...pleasing, but the absence of elegant and stately new homes is becoming increasingly difficult to tolerate. Many developers in other cities are choosing this route, and it is frustrating those here have a passion for the cheapest materials available. The city must demand better designs/materials before approving developments.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good point Recluse, the vacant lots don't necessarily have to be huge. Even some townhouses with middling densities as shown would really bolster the streetscape along the N-S blocks between Broadway and Assiniboine.

Of course, Broadway should get some higher density developments... they don't have to be soaring towers either, even some 6-10 storey buildings to fill in the gaps (preferably with CRUs at the base) would be a godsend and fit in nicely with the dominant type of building heights along that stretch.
Most definitely. I am certain all of us here would be elated to see so many 30+ storey towers rise all over the downtown, as we are seeing in Calgary and Edmonton, but low-rise structures, with beautiful designs and materials, are needed at this point.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 10:58 PM

I would love to see Boston-style brownstone/townhouses where the main/basement floor walk-ups are commercial. I've also always loved this building on Broadway in the link below for not its looks (although it is nice) but its functionality and CRUs as well. I'd love to see this duplicated on every surface lot on Broadway... They can all be the same for all I care.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88728...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 11:07 PM
BANNED

A whole block with each side lined with such buildings would be amazing. Any further developments along Broadway should resemble that. It would be nice to see similar developments along Sherbrook and Maryland.

Imagine this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/edm...cb9b07!6m1!1e1

Replaced by this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.74292...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by Urban recluse; Nov 11, 2015 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 12:25 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I don't know about "very expensive"; pile construction is not unique.
For townhouses it is.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 1:54 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

350feet owtch good reason for it but still

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 2:57 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
For townhouses it is.
The townhouses would likely be on piles in any case, unless they are absolutely bargain basement. However the value of property in this area of the City would exclude bargain basement.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 3:00 PM

^ There is a good precedent for this sort of thing: the podium of Heritage Landing. A building or two of townhouses/apartments on that scale would make great infill projects in the surrounding area.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:51 PM
BANNED

I do believe this area needs a touch of "Yorkville".

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
I do believe this area needs a touch of "Yorkville".
Yeah, it's already pretty dense south of Broadway, but it definitely has the potential to actually be a pretty upscale/sought after area, based on the trees, old buildings and some of the newer projects. Fixing up the look of Broadway would go a long way into making that happen, and making it feel more connected to River and the Village across the river.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 11:40 PM

Looks like they've finished the second story, tarped over and work appears to be beginning on the third.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan