HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Feb 12, 2006, 8:30 AM

Good god, this keeps getting better

Old Posted Feb 12, 2006, 8:57 AM
Beat it, bi(t)ches.

You've made me love the Fordham Spire. Looking from the ground-up will be truly stunning.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2006, 7:11 PM
Me, myself and I

STR, you probably don't want to hear anymore of our requests but if you ever get to it, it'd be nice to see what the Grant Park south, west and north walls are gonna look like once 1MP, 1MPW, the Columbian, 830 S Michigan, 340 OTP, Museum Tower, Sky55, 1400 Museum Park, Legacy at Millennium, etc. are completed.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2006, 7:37 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Actually I was looking for some good shots of Legacy. I just finshed the Heritage model and was looking to do the legacy next, followed by other buildings around Aon then a couple on the Mag Mile.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2006, 9:29 PM

Very Very Good job. I guess SSP will be the urban and skyscraper arts center of the Web.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2006, 9:32 PM

BTW, if you want to get some extreme detail in those buildings, I suggest you look into Zbrush... torrent... ahem... cough*

Old Posted Feb 12, 2006, 10:59 PM

Suggestion on the ground plate... the lightness is fine, but adjust the hue to complement the waterplate (5% green or yellow)... anything to help differentiate the surface from rooftops.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2006, 11:32 PM
Desert Dweller

Better and Better

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 12:27 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Some new models: The Heritage, 340 on the Park and a basic block model of the Mandarin Oriental (since we don't know what the design will be)

Click to enlarge

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 12:31 AM

makes me wish 2 Pru wasn't so hidden in the shadow of Aon. It could be it's own little peak instead of almost disappearing in the models.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 2:27 AM
Meh

What's that big antenna atop the Aon Center? When did they add that?!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 3:36 AM

They didnt. Youre seeing the top of the Fordham Spire.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 4:41 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^Yep.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 7:24 PM
Meh

Ah, that's what I thought but I would have thought it would have stuck up more than that.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 8:27 PM

FS view from Millenium Park?

Any chance you could model the view with the bean and the bandshell in the foreground, park level?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 9:29 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas
Ah, that's what I thought but I would have thought it would have stuck up more than that.
Well, it depends on the angle. From the one in question, the camera was positioned rather low and close to Aon, to make Aon the dominant building in the picture, since it is and will remain the dominant feature of the neighborhood. Fordham is up in Streeterville (The area directly north of Aon etc. and across the Chicago River), and really wasn't part of the effect I was trying to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm30
Any chance you could model the view with the bean and the bandshell in the foreground, park level?
At first, I though FS would be blocked by the Randolf streetwall, but there's and angle from the southwestern section of the park where Fordham is almost complely visible. I'm not sure if that just because I haven't started on Lakeshore East yet, but none of those buildings will be tall enough to block most of FS anyway. I'm rendering the shot now. I'll post it along with a few more regular shots and three panos. As usualy, the Pano's will go in post #1 but the regular shots will be on this page.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 9:56 PM

Sweet. I really don't want to come off as a nit-picker (hopefully my near-fellatial previous posts convince you otherwise), but of course there are many towers missing from those 2002-vintage google massing models, such as all of LSE, most of Central Station/South Loop, Kingsbury Park, One South Dearborn, plus many of the River North concrete blobs (Millenium Center, Grand Plaza, etc.). Do you plan on doing those as well?

Keep it up, can't wait for your updates.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2006, 11:39 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Most of my time has been spend either filling in missing buildings or buildings that didn't survive the transition. Believe me, I know fully well what you're talking about and it isn't nit-picking. I was blown away when I realized River East was missing. That's a damn prominent building. I'm basically doing about a half-dozen buildings a day, so I'll get to them eventually.

Last edited by STR; Feb 13, 2006 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2006, 12:00 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Millennium Park looking northeast. 340 On The Park is the bldg to the right of FS.

Looking east from the Skydeck onto The Legacy at Millennium Park

Looking South from the Hancock Observatory

And everyone's favorite: a wide-span aerial

Three new panos on page 1
Also, In pano #1 and the Mill.Park and aerial shots, I was trying a new lighting system. I'm curious as to what people think of it.

Last edited by STR; Feb 14, 2006 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2006, 3:02 AM
Because I'm Clever!

I was never happy with the Fordham Spire's spire (Fordham Spire squared?). I thought it looked like a melty ice cream cone, so I finally figured out a way to get a good looking one. This design does have a central core, which isn't on any design, but since it's likely FS will have some broadcasting facilities I threw it in as an antenna.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art