HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Nice looking building, but am I the only one who thinks it's, at best, weird to put any kind of school directly abutting an expressway?
I think this is almost entirely about marketing which might make sense for a school that does seem to have much of a presence on the public conscience.

Does anybody have any more information about the purpose of this building? Isn't this fairly far from the rest of their campus?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 5:21 PM

Not exactly a pedestrian-friendly stretch of Kimball, and the site couldn't be more of a cul-de-sac

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
Not exactly a pedestrian-friendly stretch of Kimball, and the site couldn't be more of a cul-de-sac
True but its what? Two blocks from Belmont blue? This area has major redevelopment potential if they can get more pedestian oriented uses such as this school in there.

JGMAs website says construction on that project is slated to begin mid summer this year. Would be fantastic to have such a flashy building right on the freeway like that.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 6:56 PM
TL;DR

^ Of course, it doesn't hurt that you own property in the area...

The site was chosen for its proximity to Latino communities and its accessibility to the highway. I believe Northeastern wanted to provide a decent amount of on-site parking as well, so this large industrial site is good for that. It looks like that will be towards the rear of the site.

I wonder what's gonna happen to that Korean food market next door?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:06 PM
BANNED

Haha well Ill admit I am biased, but I also obviously really believe in this area or I wouldn't be placing such big bets on it.

The Joong Boo market is on the other side of Kimball and is safe for now I assume but im sure it will redevelop eventually.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Northeastern El Centro Campus (Kimball & the Kennedy)

This will be in a highly visible location. I am excited to see Chicago is starting to break the "traditional" architectural forms.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:39 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The neighborhood and even the alderman would like to see the old Jones HS become an upper-grade division of South Loop Elementary,
Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
We are in a deep as shit recession, but as soon as a few things turn in the right direction, I think the South Loop is poised for a second boom.
A condo boom? I don't know...a lot of units being used as rental right now will go back to condos first. Although if the South Loop improves its offerings, that could change. Speaking of which...

McCaffery now says they've "executed leases and [are in] active negotiations with some of the most exciting tenants" for the Roosevelt Collection:
  • Ulta
  • H&M
  • Vapiano
  • Ann Taylor
  • White House Black Market
  • Lululemon
  • Z Gallerie
  • Yard House
  • Aveda
  • Bath & Body Works
  • Republic of Couture
  • Anthropologies
  • Arhaus
  • Sports Authority
  • Lettuce Entertain You
  • The Limited
  • Victoria's Secret
  • Jos. A. Bank

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:17 PM

^Wow.. That's actually a great line-up compared to what I'd expect in that location.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Northeastern El Centro Campus (Kimball & the Kennedy)

This is a JGMA project FYI. The design firm behind UNO 51st and IDPL in Pilsen

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Which one?

A condo boom? I don't know...a lot of units being used as rental right now will go back to condos first. Although if the South Loop improves its offerings, that could change. Speaking of which...

McCaffery now says they've "executed leases and [are in] active negotiations with some of the most exciting tenants" for the Roosevelt Collection:
...April Fools?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:49 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
This is a JGMA project FYI. The design firm behind UNO 51st and IDPL in Pilsen
Thought I mentioned that already. Guess not... I really love their work, especially the Toyota Park Transit Center (Pace). They're doing a great job of bringing super-modernist design to the Bungalow Belt. Even downtown doesn't really have anything this avant-garde, let alone the suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Thought I mentioned that already. Guess not... I really love their work, especially the Toyota Park Transit Center (Pace). They're doing a great job of bringing super-modernist design to the Bungalow Belt. Even downtown doesn't really have anything this avant-garde, let alone the suburbs.

I think it's a lot easier to do cool and interesting architecture when it's on a smaller scale, like a school, park, transit center, business, etc.

When it's applied to larger buildings is where you see good design making a dent in the budget and the VE axe falls.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
This will be in a highly visible location. I am excited to see Chicago is starting to break the "traditional" architectural forms.
Highly visible to those blasting by on the Kennedy, yes... but I wonder how much of an impact it will have on the surrounding neighborhood. Buried between the Kennedy on one side, RR tracks/Home Depot/Kmart on another and no presence whatsoever on Kimball. Its a shame IMO... it would have been pretty incredible to have this built where the Aldi's stands (I know it was never a possibility, but I can dream cant I?)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:56 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yes, but the Aldi's should be redeveloped into a very large, very dense, mixed use TOD. It's right on top of the EL and the freeway and essentially the only site like that in the city. Everywhere else the El is either in the freeway, or a ways off the freeway. Therefore the Aldi site is almost somewhere that should have a couple of small highrises on it with massive amounts of retail in the base.

In other news related to this project, apparently it's a go because they've started demolition on this project as of this morning. Half of one of the industrial buildings on that site is already razed and they are going at it hard right now. Drove by just a few minutes ago.

PS: Was stalking around on JGMA's website and found this design for another UNO school:

http://jgma.co/projects/uno-elementa...school-01.html

Any idea if this is real or just an abandoned version of the UNO school that got built. I can't exactly place the site plan, but this is pretty freaking awesome looking.

PPS: Apparently this is the design for the UNO High School on 51st Street:

All Images sourced from JGMA's website.

Looks like the High School will complement the Elementary school's stainless paneling with copper paneling. Looks like JGMA is taking their interesting landscaping and site plans a step further with the HS.

Last edited by Nowhereman1280; Apr 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 2:30 PM
The City

^ Holy crap!

I'm suddenly in love with UNO schools

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:05 PM

Yea, they're killing it.

Also, it looks like that sculpture in the Kimball plan is an exact replica of the one that went up in one of the new Burling uber mansions

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Holy crap!

I'm suddenly in love with UNO schools
I have a family member who is a first grade teacher at an UNO school. She says that the designs are fine, but a little costly. Despite this, they do bring attention to the school, always a plus. She works at one of their original schools which looks like any midcentury brick school building. Her problem is that they keep zapping the good management from the less showy locations and bringing them to the new places. They prioritize the beautiful locations leaving students in neighborhoods without the well designed buildings so that funders will see the good looking places AND qualified principles.

Anyways, I'll say of UNO that the designs may bring attention to the schools, but are often wasteful considering the costs associated with education. I understand that good design can help greatly in the education of a child, but that design doesn't need to be futurist. What is more important is things that I'm sure these schools have (good light, open hallways, spaces conducive to group-work etc.). I'm also sure less expensive, less flashy buildings can and do achieve the same goals.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:07 PM
BANNED

^^^ The idea is that a funky, flashy, school will make kids WANT to go to school instead of dreading another day in a converted prison. If they feel like they are going to a place that is awesome and inviting, then they are going to want to spend more time there. Personally I don't see how your friends examples of them moving management around are in any way related to construction budgets. From what I understand moving the best teachers and management into the new schools is typical in charter schools as they are needed to get the schools off on the right foot. The first year of a new school is the most critical and is necessary to lay the groundwork for the school to function properly as an organization.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:18 PM

The point that she conveyed to me was that they were under-allocating resources to buildings that they knew no one would care about. Obviously, she is a bit biased.

As per your idea about a beautiful building hoping to attract children, I understand that, but I'm not sure it works like that. The cool building may be exciting for a day, but I can't see how kids would understand design and, even subconsciously, understand the difference between this building and, say, a far less expensive, but still appealing building. It seems like a ploy to me. Like many educational organizations (epspecially private universities and colleges) they hope that a flashy building will make their school more attractive. Then more kids will apply and they will have more prestige. They can then turn to the government and show that more kids want to go their school, thus it must be better than the public options, thereby making themselves even more selective, prestigious etc and garnering more grants that could have gone to more efficient options building less expensive buildings.

It is a ploy to look more prestigious. Don't fall for it! Lots of schools do it. I thought that about UNO before I talked to my family member.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:22 PM

FWIW, theres been plenty of criticism regarding the way Uno operates

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=5683115
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=4292439

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development