HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:56 PM

[Saint John] Moosehead Micro Brewery | ?m | TBD Floors | Proposed

This an article about a small micro brewery that Moosehead is looking to set up.

https://sjcommercialre.com/2016/06/0...street-91king/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:53 PM
ハルウララ

So...where is there 10,000 sq. feet available in the Uptown for Moosehead's tiny brewery? 222 Water Street is 32,900 total over seven floors whilst 91 King is 44,050 sqft, as two examples.

Turner's (admittedly) horrendous MS Paint render is ambitious, but I think the space is a tad bit large for what Moosehead is aiming to do. When I first heard of these plans I imagined a brick building off of Germain or Prince William Streets as a potential landing spot, and I imagine Moosehead would want to tap into the evergrowing and changing restaurant and shop scene along those streets.. It would be awesome to get 91 King filled but i'm unsure what the likelihood would be.

Exciting news regardless.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
So...where is there 10,000 sq. feet available in the Uptown for Moosehead's tiny brewery? 222 Water Street is 32,900 total over seven floors whilst 91 King is 44,050 sqft, as two examples.

Turner's (admittedly) horrendous MS Paint render is ambitious, but I think the space is a tad bit large for what Moosehead is aiming to do. When I first heard of these plans I imagined a brick building off of Germain or Prince William Streets as a potential landing spot, and I imagine Moosehead would want to tap into the evergrowing and changing restaurant and shop scene along those streets.. It would be awesome to get 91 King filled but i'm unsure what the likelihood would be.

Exciting news regardless.
According to the commercial properties website 91 King has a footprint of 10,000 sq feet. https://sjcommercialre.com/2016/06/0...street-91king/

I'm torn on this issue -I would love to see it on the square but agree Germaine or Cantebury would be fantastic locations as well if a suitable building is found. I still think that the Old Courthouse, The Bank of NB, or how about the empty law office at the corner of King and Germaine? I have no idea if they are the right size but wherever this goes it is great news for both Saint John and Uptown!

I still think that 91 King will be developed in any event once the IO HQ goes up.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:49 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
According to the commercial properties website 91 King has a footprint of 10,000 sq feet. https://sjcommercialre.com/2016/06/0...street-91king/
This listing has 91 King at a total 44,050sqft.

It seems evident that they really, really, really, really want to get 91 King sold. It's been a while.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This listing has 91 King at a total 44,050sqft.

It seems evident that they really, really, really, really want to get 91 King sold. It's been a while.
Lol - it says 44 over 3 floors and the link I had said footprint of 10....not sure how that math works - maybe a basement?? I have a feeling it may be a tear down in any event....she is very creative in her marketing of the building though!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 5:30 AM

Stephanie Turner seems really desperate.

I have a feeling her business isn't exactly booming - her name is all over these derelict buildings with over the top pie-in-the-sky plans that never seem to sell.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 9:02 PM

[Saint John] Moosehead Micro Brewery | ?m | TBD Floors | Proposed

I thought this proposed new development deserved its own thread.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 9:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I thought this proposed new development deserved its own thread.
Perhaps, but it requires a standard naming convention such as [Saint John] Moosehead Microbrewery (Proposed). In a forum with projects from multiple cities, you really need to preface the project name with it's actual location. Look at the format that michael d_40 used for the SJ IOL HQ thread. That's perfect.

As the thread creator, you may be able to make the change yourself; otherwise a mod will have to make the change for you.

I think the main considerations as to whether a particular project deserves it's own thread are:
- the size and cost of the project
- how controversial it is (will it generate chatter)
- architectural/cultural significance

The Moncton Events Centre, the IOL headquarters building and possibly the MH35 proposal all probably deserve their own threads (the latter project mostly because of the potential controversy). This Moosehead microbrewery project in downtown SJ may be worthwhile, but in the absence of an actual Saint John subforum, might end up dropping off the bottom of the page from inactivity. Time will tell........

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 9:41 PM

It's a cool proposal, but I haven't seen any indication that its to be a new build, rather that they're looking to renovate existing space. Not sure it's any more threadworthy than redevelopment of the Target space, or the reversing falls restaurant to be honest.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
It's a cool proposal, but I haven't seen any indication that its to be a new build, rather that they're looking to renovate existing space. Not sure it's any more threadworthy than redevelopment of the Target space, or the reversing falls restaurant to be honest.
Personally I think it's much more significant than the old target location as it has the potential to be a game changer depending on where it's located. I would like to see it located on the old coast guard site and if it is; then we'll likely see a dramatic snowball effect. Time will tell if it deserves its own thread but in the mean time, I'd like to leave it and see where it goes.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 10:54 PM

Moosehead has little choice but to do this. The craft beer industry is hurting them and they have limited success with their craft style offerings. At one point in this province Moosehead had 70% of the beer market. Now it is less than 20%.
It appears as though the Olands have put off selling for a few years....

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 11:33 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
Renovations themselves can be thread-worthy on this forum and given that Moosehead is seeking to do so in an urban area lends context to the urban development standards of this site. As such, this thread is deemed acceptable.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 1:05 PM

I know many of you (including me) would like to see this end up at 91 King. I think it could make a great anchor to a new development there. However, another option that would be nice would even be the former Paramount Theatre location. Would be nice to see another hole/parking lot filled right on Kings Square.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
I know many of you (including me) would like to see this end up at 91 King. I think it could make a great anchor to a new development there. However, another option that would be nice would even be the former Paramount Theatre location. Would be nice to see another hole/parking lot filled right on Kings Square.
I had not thought about the old Paramount site... Combined with the OIL headquarters it would completely overhaul the King Square area.

It is amazing seeing this uptown revival happening right in front of our eyes. I feel as though Water up to Germain, and King over to Duke is an amazing set of blocks. Now, we are stretching those borders out further.

Very Exciting to see our uptown building so much momentum!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 7:08 PM

Yes, either location would be great! I am looking forward to a new version of the "Country Store" opening up. My cupboard has a few different Moosehead/Apline beer mugs, the closet has a tee shirt or two, mostly painting attire now, a sweatshirt that is my campfire classic and I know there are a couple old decks of cards in the trailer…..definitely time for some new Moosehead stuff.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:42 PM
ハルウララ

I was under the impression Moosehead were looking to renovate an existing space rather than building an entirely new structure.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 1:32 PM

Talking to people at a few things recently, there are those working to try and convince Moosehead to be a part of the recently announced Murphy's restaurant development on Water St. next to the Coast Guard slipp. Not sure how likely that is, but I do really like the idea of a harbourside location.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Talking to people at a few things recently, there are those working to try and convince Moosehead to be a part of the recently announced Murphy's restaurant development on Water St. next to the Coast Guard slipp. Not sure how likely that is, but I do really like the idea of a harbourside location.
I was recently reading something about how they wanted to be as close to the Cruise Ship terminals as possible. So what you said definitely does has merit.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 11:35 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
I was recently reading something about how they wanted to be as close to the Cruise Ship terminals as possible. So what you said definitely does has merit.
Maybe a part of Fundy Quay if that finally gets going soon. Would be a new build tho.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
MP wayne Long just announced via FB that the Micro Brewery will be built on the waterfront with a picture of that spot, no confirmation from Moosehead yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces