HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I always park the cars in the garage. Mine is insulated but not heated and even if it is -30 outside, I can hop into the car and the seat isn't frozen and there is no ice to scrape or snow to brush off. I have no compassion for people complaining about starting their car in the cold while they have a perfectly functional garage that is full of useless crap that they never use anyway.
It's even worse in suburban Ottawa. Many families that have 3 cars will park 2 on the driveway, and one on the street and complain like hell to the city about winter parking restrictions... while the garage is full of crap.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 1:53 AM

I just spent a week in Southwestern Ontario and one thing struck me while driving in rural Middlesex County: the complete lack of "No Trespassing" signs.

In Eastern Ontario, and to some extent Northern Ontario, "No Trespassing" signs are very commonplace at the entrances to rural properties. If you go north or west of Kingston on any of the rural roads, almost every single property has multiple "No Trespassing" signs, and on some roads I've been on I've found every single property having at least one such sign. During my travels through several townships in Middlesex County last week, I did not see a single such sign. I did spot a couple when I was in Northern Ontario last summer but far less overwhelming than in the Kingston area. Does anyone know why this would be? Are people north of Kingston really angry?

Another contradiction: I used to travel a lot for work throughout parts of Southwestern Ontario and a few other areas. If there was one difference I noticed between the various communities I was working in, it was the very large number of "No Soliciting" signs outside houses in Simcoe, Ontario. Back then (2011), such signs were very rare in other Ontario towns I worked in. Very few such signs existed in London when I lived there as well.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 2:07 AM

[QUOTE=manny_santos;6862206]I just spent a week in Southwestern Ontario and one thing struck me while driving in rural Middlesex County: the complete lack of "No Trespassing" signs.

In Eastern Ontario, and to some extent Northern Ontario, "No Trespassing" signs are very commonplace at the entrances to rural properties. If you go north or west of Kingston on any of the rural roads, almost every single property has multiple "No Trespassing" signs, and on some roads I've been on I've found every single property having at least one such sign. During my travels through several townships in Middlesex County last week, I did not see a single such sign. I did spot a couple when I was in Northern Ontario last summer but far less overwhelming than in the Kingston area. Does anyone know why this would be? Are people north of Kingston really angry?

.....QUOTE]

I always assumed it was intended to warn off hunters - less of an issue in SW Ontario. Have I been mistaken?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 2:16 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=kwoldtimer;6862213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I just spent a week in Southwestern Ontario and one thing struck me while driving in rural Middlesex County: the complete lack of "No Trespassing" signs.

.....QUOTE]

I always assumed it was intended to warn off hunters - less of an issue in SW Ontario. Have I been mistaken?
That and ATVs etc.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 2:31 AM

[QUOTE=Stryker;6862218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That and ATVs etc.
There is hunting (mostly of turkeys) and some ATVs and snowmobiles in SW Ontario as well.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 4:24 AM
I am a typical

Northern Ontario probably seemed to have less no trespassing signs because the properties are spread further apart. The reason they're common here is to notify hunters that they cannot hunt on that land. You may or may not have noticed that along most highways in Northern Ontario, private properties have red or yellow (but usually red) circles bolted to trees at regular intervals, those signs have the same purpose: to let hunters know they can't hunt on that land.

Yellow circles indicate some kind of other restriction. We post them on schools, even in urban areas, so I guess it designates government property?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 4:40 AM
Closed account

According to this site, yellow circles indicate that there is hunting by permission only.

Although there is hunting in Southern Ontario as well, there is next to no Crown land, and the Crown land that does exist is park land. That means that there doesn't have to be a clear indication that land is private property since it is already understood to be. It is not so clear in Eastern or Northern Ontario, and therefore private property needs to be clearly demarcated if you don't want people (typically hunters) wandering onto your land.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but from what I recall, the property rights crowd is especially vocal in rural Eastern Ontario. I've never seen a billboard for the Ontario Landowners Association any further west than Peterborough, for example ("GOVERNMENT: HANDS OFF MY LAND" nonsense).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but from what I recall, the property rights crowd is especially vocal in rural Eastern Ontario. I've never seen a billboard for the Ontario Landowners Association any further west than Peterborough, for example ("GOVERNMENT: HANDS OFF MY LAND" nonsense).
That makes sense. There is the occasional property that has a "No Hunting" sign, which I totally understand for a large property where it isn't clear whether it's Crown land or private property. What I see a lot of is small rural properties with a house and yard close to the road, and a "No Trespassing" sign at the end of the driveway. Seeing a sign like that makes me imagine there's an angry redneck inside with a gun, ready to shoot if I step onto his property.

The Ontario Landowners Association was first established in Lanark, incidentally.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 3:31 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Contradiction. noun. a statement or proposition that contradicts or denies another or itself and is logically incongruous. See also: MikeToronto.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada