HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

309 Green Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Champaign Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:38 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post

This one will also be residential with some retail. The developer has a web site with no content to speak of at http://burnham310.com/.
Thanks for all the info. You're right - that website has little on it except for a few renderings:

According to The News Gazette, it will be 18 stories and have 259 units and a 28,000 sq. ft. grocery store.

Also, there is the M2 development at Neil and Main, although it's only 9 stories.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
oooohh an Institute for Genomic Biology Building? sounds intriguing.

anybody have a picture of that one?

Doesn't show the whole buildling, but the other half is basically identical to this.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:24 PM

^ a grocery store on campus?! Why didn't I think of that?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 6:55 PM

Champaign? This is amazing. Great news for that town. I remember visiting friends there a bunch of times when they were at school, and its hard to imagine buildings that tall out there, even with the existing 21 story one. Should be a nice addition.

Madison also has a bunch of high-end apartment buildings being built on campus (not as tall though), so it seems like these schools are trying to densify their campuses, (but with rich kids in mind, apparently). Granite counter tops, washer/dryers, wtf? Thats not my college experience, hell no!

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 6:14 AM

Ah, should have known this thread was here.

309 Green has a website- http://309collegecorner.com/

This is the site of 309 E Green "College Corner", and how it relates to the current tallest C-U building The Tower on Third.

Some of the other (not all) construction projects around Champaign-Urbana:

Burnham 310

M2 on Neil - downtown Champaign - groundbreaking was April 30

College of Business Instructional Facility - U of I

U of I Memorial Stadium renovations

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:23 PM

College Corner - 309 E. Green St. Champaign, IL

Here are more updated renderings & photos. Thanks for starting the thread.

Should be exciting...The foundation has already begun as well...

A construction camera will be up shortly online.
This is my first post ever so I hope these work! Enjoy!

Last edited by jjsmith02; May 15, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 10:15 PM

Great pictures. Thanks

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:35 AM
Everywhere all at once

Such a change! It seems so odd that they would build this high-rise condo tower that is so reminiscent of current design trends....on this site, in this town, between two-story main streetish buildings. And yet, here it is, in preliminary foundation works. I never expected it, but I am so excited.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 9:29 AM

Condo?

Wait, isn't this just an apartment building? I'm looking to buy a condo in the Campustown area, but I thought this was only rental.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 12:52 PM
Everywhere all at once

oh sorry, maybe it is apartments. I don't know what I'm talking about, I was just making an observation.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 1:49 PM

309 Green St.

It's a 24 story, 110 Unit luxury rental apartment building aimed at undergrads.

(80) 4 bedroom/ 2 bath ranging from 1250-1440 SF and (30) 2 bedroom/ 2 bath ranging from 800-900 SF. Every unit has an 80 SF balcony or a 1200 SF inset terrace.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 12:38 AM

Mixed feelings

While I like the idea of reinvestment in Campustown, this seems a bit much to me. I would prefer more distributed and high quality development (e.g. 4-5 story brick/stone type buildings).

I was shocked when I saw the pictures; it seems to me like it will be completely out of context with the surroundings.

I also don't like the boxy appearance of the base of the structure - would like to see more contour on the bottom third of the building. Also, are those three exclamation points on the front of the building?

I have a number of more modest ideas for the campustown area that would provide greater improvement at less cost.

If only I had millions of dollars....

EDIT: I am also concerned about the effect that large apartment buildings like this will have on the rental market generally - oversaturation?

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campustown crusader View Post
EDIT: I am also concerned about the effect that large apartment buildings like this will have on the rental market generally - oversaturation?
If anything, an oversupply on campus means more students could afford to live on campus, i.e. less people driving in and looking for scarce parking.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 2:06 AM

What's funny to me is that little alterations shop isn't being torn down. If it's left there, we're going to have the largest building in Champaign right next to the smallest building. Oh, by the way, I have been at the University for 6 years (no I'm not a super senior, I got two degrees) and I'm finally about to move back to Chicago for good in a couple of weeks.

I think this is a good thing. The big blocky base is kind of off-putting. I guess if the lot(s) next to it are re-developed and fit flush against it, it won't be so bad. And on Green Street, it'll happen, it's just a matter of time, I think.

It's also funny that they're calling this "College Corner" when it's in the middle of the block.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:00 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by campustown crusader View Post
While I like the idea of reinvestment in Campustown, this seems a bit much to me. I would prefer more distributed and high quality development (e.g. 4-5 story brick/stone type buildings).

I was shocked when I saw the pictures; it seems to me like it will be completely out of context with the surroundings.
You basically said what I was trying to say back a few posts in one sentence. Oh well.

I like your idea of shorter new development, and considering that plans are pretty secure for this tower's construction (an assumption, I admit), this part of town will be in major need of new development so this tower can be integrated with the rest of the city.

by the way I see you are new to the site, welcome to SSP

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
You basically said what I was trying to say back a few posts in one sentence. Oh well.

I like your idea of shorter new development, and considering that plans are pretty secure for this tower's construction (an assumption, I admit), this part of town will be in major need of new development so this tower can be integrated with the rest of the city.

by the way I see you are new to the site, welcome to SSP
Campustown is very interesting and diverse mix of densities. I'd say the predominant "vernacular" housing are:

- 3-story, 2to4 tiered complex (i.e. 6-12 units)
- 3-story catwalk building with 6 to 10 apartments per floor (18-30 units)

However, there are also:

- Frat houses, which basically resemble stately mansions on the outside, and vermin-infested tenement slums on the inside
- single family homes (these were the original housing stock from 80-120 yeas ago and several remain, the ones rented to students are horribly dilapidated)
- Several scattered larger apartment blocks between 4 and 12 stories
- SRO-style efficiency blocks, typically 3-4 stories with 10-20 efficiencies per floor
- Full-on large dormitories

So, I guess I don't really buy the argument that any structure is out of scale or character, because like most of Chicago, the defining characteristic of neighborhood housing stock is the lack of consistent scale or style

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Campustown is very interesting and diverse mix of densities. I'd say the predominant "vernacular" housing are:

- 3-story, 2to4 tiered complex (i.e. 6-12 units)
- 3-story catwalk building with 6 to 10 apartments per floor (18-30 units)

However, there are also:

- Frat houses, which basically resemble stately mansions on the outside, and vermin-infested tenement slums on the inside
- single family homes (these were the original housing stock from 80-120 yeas ago and several remain, the ones rented to students are horribly dilapidated)
- Several scattered larger apartment blocks between 4 and 12 stories
- SRO-style efficiency blocks, typically 3-4 stories with 10-20 efficiencies per floor
- Full-on large dormitories

So, I guess I don't really buy the argument that any structure is out of scale or character, because like most of Chicago, the defining characteristic of neighborhood housing stock is the lack of consistent scale or style
In addition, there is already a 20 story (or around there) silo-shaped building a block away which fits perfectly with the surroundings.

Quote:

I also don't like the boxy appearance of the base of the structure - would like to see more contour on the bottom third of the building. Also, are those three exclamation points on the front of the building?

I have a number of more modest ideas for the campustown area that would provide greater improvement at less cost.

If only I had millions of dollars....

I never really understood the "it's out of scale" mentality. First, I rarely see instances where a single high-rise structure doesn't look right in a neighborhood. In fact, I can't think of any of the top of my head. If anything, a tall building provides some visual stimulation in an otherwise bland environment. It serves as a beacon to tell people where the city center is. It unites citizens and centralizes a neighborhood at a time when some centralization is badly needed. Second, the view is extremely reactionary. If we really listened to the "out of scale" naysayers we'd still be living in barns and farm houses. After all, anything dense in the midwest is technially "out of scale" with the surroundings. Our greatest cities wouldn't exist because someone, back in the day, determined that it doesn't aesthetically satsify him.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:12 PM

309 Green

If anyone looked at the aerials, Champaign sort of resembles Chernobyl from the sky so I think any development is better than what was existing...

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:53 PM

eh, nevermind.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmith02 View Post
If anyone looked at the aerials, Champaign sort of resembles Chernobyl from the sky
Sure that 4 block stretch of Green needs some help, but easy there on the broad, sweeping, false generalizations

Seems like you work for the developers in some capacity?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive