HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPELLY View Post
I remember there being huge long lines of cars that moved over for 2 lanes to go down to one for construction. It would be very obvious that you were required to move over. And you’d have jackasses going to the very front of the line, and people would willingly let them in at the very front!
If everyone did what the "jackasses" did, the road would be used far more efficiently and the congestion would be reduced and would not cascade out nearly as much. It's safer too.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:26 PM
Mooderator

^ Every time I'm on a freeway, if there is space I move over to the left hand lane to allow the accelerating on-rampers get into the flow of traffic, just because I'm so damn nice.

A lot of the time, I see people matching the merger's speed and forcing them to fall behind them to merge, or even making them stop and signal. that is a real asshole move.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:52 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post

K-W drivers are notoriously bad mergers as well.
K-W is the only place I've ever seen such horrible merging skills. K-W drivers always take the earliest opportunity to merge - usually at the first appearance of the broken merge line on a highway on-ramp - regardless of their speed. The only saving grace to this is that it is entirely predictable.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:53 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
In the GTA all bets are off when it comes to the passing lane because the highways are the busiest in the world (yay, world class!), but once you leave the congestion and the traffic jams the drivers on the 401 and the QEW are really very good about not clogging the passing lane.
In 2-lane sections of those highways, I'd agree. When 3 (or more lanes) exist, Ontario drivers clog the middle lane. It's maddening

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
If everyone did what the "jackasses" did, the road would be used far more efficiently and the congestion would be reduced and would not cascade out nearly as much. It's safer too.

Video Link
Yes, I completely agree except that nobody ever does that. I wish that people would do that. But its also fairly efficient to get in one line early and have one lane moving at a decent speed versus having one lane stopping and starting and people letting in the people who go right to the front causing the moving traffic to all stop and start again.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 7:53 PM

A big difference I noticed is that in the prairies the drivers always seemed to give pedestrians the right of way even if they weren't crossing at an intersection (and the pedestrians seemed to know this). Totally different story in SW Ontario where the car rules all.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 7:53 PM
HVAC guru

^^ yup.. 100% agreed.

And I do believe that if people merge proactively when a lane is about to end it gets everyone through faster. Every time someone needs to brake or come to a stop, it sends a wave of delay back through the entire line.

Years ago when I wad driving commercially between Vancouver and the Okanagan, I frequently had to go to the ICBC compound in Richmond. For almost a year there was a huge delay on the 99 by the Alex Fraser, and of course being in a 5 ton flat deck I was most frequently in the right lane. I'd sit there while people would whizz right up the left lane to the barricades and cut in at the very last second. I took to moving my truck over to block both lanes and keep the short-cutters behind me

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The influx of some of the approximately 100,000 people who live within an hour of St. John's but come from towns too small to have even a single traffic light has begun. Merry Christmas.

And Lucy's not wrong.

Celebrated my birthday today in style:

The lovely young lady in front of me stopped suddenly. I didn't.

She rear-ended someone Dec. 14. Someone rear-ended me not that long ago.

"So what do we have to do? Phone the RNC?"
"Buddy, sadly... I got this. It's probably still in my recent dials..."

And she was super hot, as was her BF who came to rescue her. Which made the whole thing even more awkward.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Dec 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 4:05 AM

It took me a bit to adjust to the traffic circles here in Edmonton. We have none in GP, so it took a few times getting honked at to finally master the traffic circle.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The influx of some of the approximately 100,000 people who live within an hour of St. John's but come from towns too small to have even a single traffic light has begun. Merry Christmas.

And Lucy's not wrong.

Celebrated my birthday today in style:

The lovely young lady in front of me stopped suddenly. I didn't.
H
She rear-ended someone Dec. 14. Someone rear-ended me not that long ago.

"So what do we have to do? Phone the RNC?"
"Buddy, sadly... I got this. It's probably still in my recent dials..."

And she was super hot, as was her BF who came to rescue her. Which made the whole thing even more awkward.
Sorry to see that Signal, happy belated and hopefully this won't ruin your Christmas. I trust you are ok. Looks like the car did its job and protected you.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 11:14 PM

I have experienced the german autobahn for the second time today, but first time with a driver who actually want to drive fast. I was not comfortable with it, but he was driving at an average speed of 165-170 km/h, sometimes pushing it to 185-190 km/h. Some cars passed us at 200+.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 12:23 AM

J'ai entendu dire que les Autoroutes allemandes étaient légèrement en moins bon état que les Autoroutes françaises, étant donné que le réseau Autoroutier Allemand est très étendu et surtout très occupé, donc plus difficile à entretenir. Ya également le climat plus froid. Bref, t'en a pensé quoi ?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 3:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I have experienced the german autobahn for the second time today, but first time with a driver who actually want to drive fast. I was not comfortable with it, but he was driving at an average speed of 165-170 km/h, sometimes pushing it to 185-190 km/h. Some cars passed us at 200+.
You were uncomfortable with those speeds he was driving? I found 170 was remarkably relaxed and I had my kids in the car with me!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 3:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
J'ai entendu dire que les Autoroutes allemandes étaient légèrement en moins bon état que les Autoroutes françaises, étant donné que le réseau Autoroutier Allemand est très étendu et surtout très occupé, donc plus difficile à entretenir. Ya également le climat plus froid. Bref, t'en a pensé quoi ?
Il y a eu une détérioration de l'état des autoroutes en Allemagne entre mon premier essai il y a 20 ans et mon dernier il y a deux ans. Il y a 20 ans c'était comme un table de billard.

Je remarque aussi que les segments ou la vitesse est maintenant limitée sont des plus en plus fréquents.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 4:46 AM
Urban Fanactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
In 2-lane sections of those highways, I'd agree. When 3 (or more lanes) exist, Ontario drivers clog the middle lane. It's maddening
On 3 lane sections of highways drivers clog the middle lane because they do want to have to deal with traffic merging on the highway.

Personally I only use the middle lane if it's moving faster than the right lane. Merging traffic doesn't really hold you up a high speeds so I don't find it a big inconvenience.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:05 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
In the GTA all bets are off when it comes to the passing lane because the highways are the busiest in the world (yay, world class!), but once you leave the congestion and the traffic jams the drivers on the 401 and the QEW are really very good about not clogging the passing lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Huh? There's nothing wrong with sticking to the middle lane on a 3-lane highway whatsoever. In fact, it would be better if more people actually did that.

It's when people clog the passing lane that problems arise. But the middle lane? Nothing wrong with that at all.

I've noticed on the 401 and 403/QEW outside of Toronto (to the southwest, not the east) that people generally understand the concept, even if they need to be reminded sometimes. They may may half asleep in the passing lane, but they'll move over right away if you come up behind them at a faster speed.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Huh? There's nothing wrong with sticking to the middle lane on a 3-lane highway whatsoever. In fact, it would be better if more people actually did that.

It's when people clog the passing lane that problems arise. But the middle lane? Nothing wrong with that at all.
I've noticed on the 401 and 403/QEW outside of Toronto (to the southwest, not the east) that people generally understand the concept, even if they need to be reminded sometimes. They may may half asleep in the passing lane, but they'll move over right away if you come up behind them at a faster speed.
It's odd, however, that the middle lane is often home to the slowest traffic. Passing on the right makes me uneasy.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:

Ummmm, what?

Sticking to the middle lane is the same thing as sticking to the left lane. The middle lane, in theory, should be for passing people in the right lane and the left lane for passing people in the middle lane.

I actually experienced this yesterday. You get these morons going slow in the middle lane, an empty right lane, except for transports, and people blazing down the left lane. I wanted to do a comfortable 120 but could not because of people going slow in the middle lane. If they had their slow asses to the right like they should've they could continue to go 100-110, middle lane 120, left lane 140. But nope. I had the choice of going 100-110 or 140. Went with 140...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You were uncomfortable with those speeds he was driving? I found 170 was remarkably relaxed and I had my kids in the car with me!
I can do 160, 170 maybe if the conditions and traffic allows it. (I'm talking autobahn here, I wouldn't go above 140 in Canada) But 180, 190 is too fast for my liking. The driver was used to it and had the experience as well as a good car (Audi), so I suppose I kinda felt ok with it, but in other circumstances I would have been worried.

Franks, don't forget that the German highway system is 100% free too. Until next year when they will apparently start to add tolls on certain stretches, because as you say, some sections need to be redone. But I think it was fine, it was deteriorated here and there but overall it was very superficial.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I've driven in Germany a few times. As someone who likes to drive for pleasure... Germany is heaven. I was never in a very powerful or particularly nice car (Opel Omega), so I was only ever really able to hit 190km/h. But, I felt perfectly comfortable doing so.

People know the rules. People follow the rules. People pay attention to what they're doing. People are in control of their vehicles. Sure, some drivers are a bit more aggressive, and some are a bit more timid, but the average level of competency and control just floors me every time.

Calgary: I feel like half the drivers here are barely in control of their car, are barely paying attention to actually driving, and only have the vaguest idea of how to handle pretty basic situations (right of way, merging, signalling, lane discipline, the slightest loss of traction in the winter...). If I had to choose one word to describe Calgary drivers, it's sloppy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada