HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 5:33 AM

Watching Trudeau walk through Jackson Square after getting swarmed the other day didn't look great. 11 for lease units in the background as he walked past them. Not a good look for the PM and not a good look for Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 3:53 PM

As much as I have always appreciated the aesthetic of this tower... I read 43 acres of Victorian buildings and want to cry. ughhh..

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 6:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Watching Trudeau walk through Jackson Square after getting swarmed the other day didn't look great. 11 for lease units in the background as he walked past them. Not a good look for the PM and not a good look for Hamilton.
Yeah, not a good look. I'm more embarrassed for property management though. They're probably awaiting changes in the downtown consumer market before doing them in the mall, but still, they have done very little over the years.

It did offer a much safer passage while avoiding confrontation with the nuts on the street, who would have had to be pushed aside by security if an outdoor walk was necessary. And who knows what kind of look for the city that would have led to...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Yeah, not a good look. I'm more embarrassed for property management though. They're probably awaiting changes in the downtown consumer market before doing them in the mall, but still, they have done very little over the years.

It did offer a much safer passage while avoiding confrontation with the nuts on the street, who would have had to be pushed aside by security if an outdoor walk was necessary. And who knows what kind of look for the city that would have led to...
Well he definitely has people angry in this country. It's pretty much going to happen wherever he goes moving forward until he probably eventually resigns.

The condos going up around Jackson Square will definitely help, but I feel like the retail model is dying fast. People shop online now, a lot. I try to avoid going into malls whenever possible, as I just don't like crowds and the selection online is so much better.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 12:22 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Well he definitely has people angry in this country. It's pretty much going to happen wherever he goes moving forward until he probably eventually resigns.

The condos going up around Jackson Square will definitely help, but I feel like the retail model is dying fast. People shop online now, a lot. I try to avoid going into malls whenever possible, as I just don't like crowds and the selection online is so much better.
And I really don't know why. Neither do many of them, or if they do it's based on hearsay and hokum and from being riled up by the loud talking heads on the far right.

Every politician is constantly rubbing somebody the wrong way. The voices against them just seem so much louder these days... a product of our times (and all the sh!t that went down in our neighbouring country over the past number of years)

That southeast corner of JS needs love. A good re-imagining would be a nice place to start... heck, carve it off and sell it to Mac and let them expand their Continuing Education operation. Or maybe Mohawk could use a downtown presence.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jan 29, 2023 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 12:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Ice skating on the roof of Jackson square has returned for winterfest Feb 02 - 20 (I believe)

https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 1:04 AM
Hammer'd

Every day this coming week is supposed to be above or even well above 0 so unless they are planning to hook up some kind of refrigeration system, I dunno if thats gonna happen.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:53 PM
Ham-burgher

Bye-bye Coles. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long, but other than independents it was probably the only (and last) location of the chains downtown.

Coles to close after more than 50 years in Jackson Square
The bookstore is one of the six original tenants remaining in the downtown shopping centre.

Fallon Hewitt
The Hamilton Spectator
Thursday, March 28, 2024

https://www.thespec.com/business/ham...27271b7f4.html

Coles bookstore in Jackson Square will close later this spring — marking the departure of one of the last original tenants of the downtown Hamilton shopping centre.

In an email sent to customers Wednesday, Indigo CEO Heather Reisman announced that after more than half a century in the mall, the store is closing on April 6.

“I want to start by saying that any decision to close a store is so difficult,” wrote Reisman, who heads Coles' parent company. “We know well that every one of our stores becomes a living, breathing part of the community.”

Indigo spokesperson Madison Downey told The Spectator the company regularly reviews its real estate portfolio and considers many factors, including “store profitability,” when deciding to close a store.

“We are working closely with all employees to ensure they are fully supported through this transition,” Downey noted in an email.

The other original tenants still operating include Laura Secord, Suzy Shier, Tamblyn Drugs (now Rexall), TD Bank and Landmark Cinemas (formerly Famous Players)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues