HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 12:03 AM

Norman Foster is a genius!

Last edited by TouchTheSky13; Apr 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Was gonna tear the moderator a new one, but I decided not to treat him the way he treats some people on this forum.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 1:52 AM

Can someone please tell me why now they've decided to put construction lights on this and 3WTC?

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
Can someone please tell me why now they've decided to put construction lights on this and 3WTC?
Maybe some design change/progress that they haven't announced?

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 6:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm not sure what's going on but they seem to be pouring some concrete for some reason.

Webcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_4.jpg

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I'm not sure what's going on but they seem to be pouring some concrete for some reason.

Webcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_4.jpg
Not sure if you've put the right picture there but I didn't see any concrete truck hanging around wtc2...

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:35 AM
New Yorker for life

At least the lighting is nice...

dsgray16

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 10:40 AM

So is this building getting built up finally ?

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:17 PM

There has been no news about further construction on 2 and 3 World Trade Center however Iam pretty positive three is the next to start construction when they do find more tenants. I think/hope three wil get started by at least the end of the summer

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 2:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli96 View Post
so is this building getting built up finally ?
No. Not until there is a tenant.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 5:20 PM

How long can Silverstein let these buildings sit half under construction until he would have to make a decision one way or the other?

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 6:03 PM

Baiscally until someone steps forward, looks him square in the eyes and says, "I want to be an anchor tenant for this part of the World Trade Center." Once that happens, hands are clasped in agreement, the necessary deeds are signed and public official announcements will be scheduled at the earliest mutual convenience of all parties involved.

Voilá.

I hope I wasn't coming across as a smart-@$$, but the answer to your question is precisely as simple as illustrated above. I understand that the wait for an anchor can be maddening; but don't forget all the booming activity on the West Side and the interest that's been shown by major companies there. It is possible that if any deal in that part of the city is hard to come by, they can always look here and at 175G too.

In fact, precisely because there has been interest by some parties in anchoring 175G, the domino effect that NYGuy described in an earlier thread with respect to landing tenants will almost certainly make its way here.

Long story short: IMO, whatever activity has been happening recently at this particular parcel indicates some pretty good news at some future point. When? That's what we're all pulling our figurative hair out trying to glean from this.

Last edited by JayPro; May 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 11:34 PM

I see what you're saying but what I'm trying to ask is say 10,15,20 years roll around and he doesn't have a tenant. Is NYC going to allow him to have 2 construction shells sit there that long?

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 12:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I see what you're saying but what I'm trying to ask is say 10,15,20 years roll around and he doesn't have a tenant. Is NYC going to allow him to have 2 construction shells sit there that long?
It's not the City, but the Port Authority who has the say here. Silverstein is leasing that land from the Port Authority, so he's going to want to have something to show for it sooner rather than later. Otherwise, it's like throwing money away.

However, unlike tower 3, this tower will have to rely completely on private financing. Silverstein will have to lease a pretty good chunk of the space before he can get financing.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 12:48 PM

Am I the only person who sees this current situation as being similar to the construction of the original WTC? Those buildings weren't even completely occupied until (correct me if i'm wrong) the early 90s, and started filling up in the 80s. I understand that the situation is different, but what if they kind of just started building. That could peak peoples interest enough to maybe find some tenants for good.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 5:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyToNYC View Post
I understand that the situation is different, but what if they kind of just started building. That could peak peoples interest enough to maybe find some tenants for good.
Someone has to finance full construction. Speculative office towers are rarely financed. Silverstein needs a tenant.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 5:29 PM

Just imagine if he had tenants and all 4 building were rising at the same time. I might have been a logistical nightmare. Probably good for the area to clean up a bit first, that might bring the tenants for 2 & 3.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 12:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
Just imagine if he had tenants and all 4 building were rising at the same time. I might have been a logistical nightmare. Probably good for the area to clean up a bit first, that might bring the tenants for 2 & 3.
It probably would have been the best thing to get all towers under construction at one time. It's for the same reason that Related is looking to get the first phase (4 towers)of its railyard development built at one time. Tenants will be moving into two of the WTC towers next year, but the site will still be a big, restrictive construction zone for years after that until all of the towers are completed. Eventually, when all the dust settles, it will be completely a part of the city, and not some mega construction project.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:48 PM

My out-of-my-ass guess pegs this tower for completion around 2020. The way things have been going, I don't see construction starting up again until nearly 2018. By that time 3 should be finished. This is all just speculation of course.

While seeming like an eternity, I'd be nice to see this site devoid of dump trucks and construction vehicles, barricades and fences, and a clean open public space filled with tourists and busy office workers again by the 20th anniversary of the attacks that took that away from us.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:57 PM
New Yorker for life

I'd give it a couple of years. Things change very rapidly in the city. Tower 3 will probably be topped out before this one starts rising though. Silverstein is getting up there, and it would be nice for him to see his vision complete. But we have to see where things stand with tower 3 at the end of the year. I do think it will be easier to land tenants once Freedom and tower 4 are open, with workers streaming to the site again. Not to mention the newly opening Calatrava terminal will be basically sitting at the front door to both towers 2 and 3. It will be a new icon in the city, and the site becomes much more desirable than it is today. While its no longer ground zero, its still a big construction mess.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 9:04 AM
New Yorker for life

I've been wondering for a while if these are the steps shown in the footprint, but they are different if so...

newdasilva@flickr.com

The northwest corner outside of the tower will have a walkup...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction