HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve been once and we all got the impression it was a gay bar.
They don't advertise themselves as a gay bar, which actually makes me glad. I'm honestly hoping we're at the point that we don't need gay specific bars, although despite being straight, I do wish there was a gay bar around, I've heard they're fun.

They are very much an LGBTQ friendly, safe space bar/club though, so no dudebros.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 4:34 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
They don't advertise themselves as a gay bar, which actually makes me glad. I'm honestly hoping we're at the point that we don't need gay specific bars, although despite being straight, I do wish there was a gay bar around, I've heard they're fun.

They are very much an LGBTQ friendly, safe space bar/club though, so no dudebros.
It's not a gay bar. I'm gay - and I can tell you - there are no gay bars left in hamilton. We are also NOT at the point where we don't need gay specific bars, because most don't like having to go to a place where hitting on people can still get them punched in the face, where the prospect of the person also being gay that you are hitting on is 50/50. Gay people also don't like the straight scene, or women hitting on them, contrary to popular opinion. The gay community is themselves divisive - hating each other for all sorts of things, and everyone has a chip on their shoulder from being abused by society in some way, so I honestly don't ever see that changing.

The Werx shut down, steel lounge shut down, embassy shut down, all were gay bars. They shut down either because the people don't put the work into maintaining the place (embassy), or they serve to minors and allow brawls to happen (the werx) or the gays simply don't support it (steel lounge).

The only gay-accepting bar-like place I am aware of that has been around away that I know of that is left in the city is Tracies karaoke bar on the ascarpment, and a place my friend runs that is across from the william thomas building that is an art gallery by day and danceclub once a month at night for gay people.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 6:15 AM
Ham-burgher

Nicely got rid of the "CROTCH ROT"

Always a good thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
This building used to be a real eyesore with all the tagging. Looks like they took notice of the tower that'll be going up across the street.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 2:48 AM

If you look around here this is mostly known information:

https://www.chch.com/whats-on-the-horizon-for-hamilton/

Good to hear things are moving forward with all these projects though. I am curious when Rebecca St development may be happening. It would be smart for them to get that started so there are people overlooking and using the newly finished park.

Also it seems Gore park and the buildings on the pedestrian side are going to be finishing up revitalizations. I am curious what the applications for these buildings is.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
If you look around here this is mostly known information:

https://www.chch.com/whats-on-the-horizon-for-hamilton/

Good to hear things are moving forward with all these projects though. I am curious when Rebecca St development may be happening. It would be smart for them to get that started so there are people overlooking and using the newly finished park.

Also it seems Gore park and the buildings on the pedestrian side are going to be finishing up revitalizations. I am curious what the applications for these buildings is.
The reporter at CHCH makes it seem like the City is restoring the Heritage Buildings on the South Side of Gore Park but i thought Wilson Blanchard owned them?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
The reporter at CHCH makes it seem like the City is restoring the Heritage Buildings on the South Side of Gore Park but i thought Wilson Blanchard owned them?
I assume that either:

1) The owner applied for the heritage revitalization fund.

2) The city is helping whomever wants to use these since they are a gross sight in an otherwise amazing park area.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 10:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Summer Lane project seems interesting. First time I've heard of this project.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The Summer Lane project seems interesting. First time I've heard of this project.

I'm hoping something is done to activate/improve Commonwealth Square. It's a barren patch of interlocking bricks. Not sure what was expected but being right beside 5 lanes of rushing traffic it's almost certainly a lost cause much like the city hall forecourt. Would be better to de-pave and let it turn to weeds. Maybe some large trees would be helpful?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 2:52 PM

City hall forecourt actually gets some pretty good use. Commonwealth square on the other hand is terrible. I know the Art Gallery has some plans to put it to better use but of course lack concrete funding sources at the moment.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Me too. I'm guessing it is a tiny $ project so flew under the radar in terms of approvals and given that Summers Lane is a cave stuck between a parking garage and Hamilton place, a resurfacing and some bollards might be a bit underwhelming for improving that space.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
Me too. I'm guessing it is a tiny $ project so flew under the radar in terms of approvals and given that Summers Lane is a cave stuck between a parking garage and Hamilton place, a resurfacing and some bollards might be a bit underwhelming for improving that space.
Looks to be a $2M project if the City's budget books are correct(page 209). Seems like it might be more than bollards and resurfacing.

https://d3fpllf1m7bbt3.cloudfront.ne...get-book-2.pdf

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Looks to be a $2M project if the City's budget books are correct(page 209). Seems like it might be more than bollards and resurfacing.

I think you may be overestimating what $2m can do when it comes to municipal infrastructure.

Edit: The design and consulting alone are a combined $150,000 and resources and staffing is nearly $200,000, leaving only $1.6m for the actual construction.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:

I see that Commonwealth Square's pavers are on the wish list to be rehabilitated in 2020 - page 3.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 9:38 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post
I'm hoping something is done to activate/improve Commonwealth Square. It's a barren patch of interlocking bricks. Not sure what was expected but being right beside 5 lanes of rushing traffic it's almost certainly a lost cause much like the city hall forecourt. Would be better to de-pave and let it turn to weeds. Maybe some large trees would be helpful?
Trees would be good. Even just adding some flower boxes and shrubs along the sidewalk portion would help.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:01 PM
Hamilton Historian

They should just make it into a mini-park - plant trees, rip up the concrete and plant shrubs etc. It's way too much concrete park atm.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 12:34 AM

One idea would be to make the City Hall forecourt and Commonwealth Square one seamless space (with a giant freeway running down the middle, of course).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
One idea would be to make the City Hall forecourt and Commonwealth Square one seamless space (with a giant freeway running down the middle, of course).
Bury Main St between Bay and James or John.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Bury Main St between Bay and James or John.
THIS
It would have the most dramatic improvement on the quality of life downtown if Main was buried. Especially through that stretch with city hall forecourt, AGH etc...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:39 AM

I can't find/remember if there was already a thread for it, but it looks like there's some action happening at the property on the south east corner of king william/ferguson. I think it was going to be a condo if I recall.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:48 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Nicely got rid of the "CROTCH ROT"

Always a good thing to do.
Here's what the building beside it originally looked like. The renovated building in question wasn't even in this pic at the time..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton