HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
UAB is also pushing a very aggressive expansion initiative. 20k+ undergrads within the next few years. Something like this will be in a great position to capitalize on this within the next few years when that happens. And even then, it will probably put the hurt on apartment complexes in Homewood and Vestavia that some future students may chosen to live in as well.

So yeah, this might be the more affordable option for students who want to walk around and enjoy Five Points S nightlife, whereas Vesta might be more opulent for empty nesters and retirees coming back in from the 'burbs.
U.A.B. is also leasing outside apartment complexes for students, like the Venue down at Regions field. This place on 20th Street would be ideal while they are trying to decide weather to build that new dorm that would be a mirror image to the new one the just completed about a year ago.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 3:56 PM
The Salty Ham

This kind of density will be a great boost for 5ptsS as it has been suffering a bit now that Parkside and Lakeview and Uptown have become nodes of their own.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
maybe this building across the street will finally get some love lol...

Just learned today, this building was bought by a local developer. The story is in the BBJ behind the pay wall. I am wondering if its just the property the building sits on or the entire half block wide and block long property from 19th street down to 18th street along 2nd Avenue. I hope it will be something significant.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
Just learned today, this building was bought by a local developer. The story is in the BBJ behind the pay wall. I am wondering if its just the property the building sits on or the entire half block wide and block long property from 19th street down to 18th street along 2nd Avenue. I hope it will be something significant.
Read that the developer is called Orchestra Partners, they paid a little over $1 million for lots 8-10 and they have no plans as of yet.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 4:20 PM
Burming Hammer

very nice. that thing has been an eyesore for a while.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 4:23 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
This kind of density will be a great boost for 5ptsS as it has been suffering a bit now that Parkside and Lakeview and Uptown have become nodes of their own.
I hope 5 Points turns a corner soon. Word is that Buck Mulligan's is relocating (due to rent). Hopefully they'll stay in the area. Will be interesting to see what type of tenants the renovated Barber building brings, but I hope it's in keeping with what has traditionally been there. 5 Points can be (and has been) a great nightlife area. It's definitely the most unique and has the best vibe when all the pieces are there. I don't think there's a neighborhood that can compete.

The new bowling alley (which is still an empty storefront as of last week....) and the hotel and these 2 17-story residential units should help... just need something to start moving.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 5:37 PM
The Salty Ham

Yeah I think the area is in a bit of a transition as the property owners are looking to cash in on Birmingham's rebirth and have been going up big on the rent and the typical businesses that have been staples of the area are being priced out. More boots on the ground, so to speak, will help level things out as I think it will continue to be mostly a young college kid place to hang out rathrr then moving upscale.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:11 PM
The Salty Ham

Better late than never I suppose. I cant believe we have been talking about this for 3 years or so and still have a few months to go.
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ole-foods.html

It will be a big hit Im sure considering how crowded 280 WF stays. Other than Costco I have never seen a store so regularly utilize its entire parking lot. Even awkward inconvenient back row spots.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 7:33 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham has signed a license with the World Trade Center Association

Hanno Van Der Bijl
Birmingham Business Journal
July 12, 2017

Quote:

This week, the World Trade Center Association and the Birmingham City Council signed that license.

As part of the licensing process, the city also submitted a $250,000 fee. The additional annual fee of $12,500 will be prorated for the first year.

The next step is to hire staff to operate and find property to house the center. The city has two years to determine a site before the license would be revoked.

Supporters of the initiative say a World Trade Center designation would give Birmingham businesses more opportunities to expand abroad and help recruit direct investments in Birmingham from companies around the world.

The World Trade Centers Association provides a platform on which commercial property developers, economic development agencies, and international companies can connect, trade and invest.

Atkinson said the key to the system is mandatory reciprocity. For instance, if a Birmingham company reaches out to the local trade center with a plan to increase business in Dubai, then the World Trade Center in Dubai would be expected to respond and provide a level of assistance, such as connecting the company with potential partners.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Birmingham has signed a license with the World Trade Center Association

Hanno Van Der Bijl
Birmingham Business Journal
July 12, 2017
I wonder what size building they will need and where it might be located??? Surely it will be downtown and hopefully in a large building.
I know in a previous article they were going to have to determine who the city will partner with to run this operation. They had mentioned U.A.B., Innovation Depot, and the Birmingham Business Alliance.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:17 PM
The Salty Ham

They could probably make do with 1 floor or whatever in an existing building. I dont think it will add any significant impact to DT in that regard. I hipe that the city can reap some palpable benefit to being in this fraterntity, so to speak.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 1:44 PM
Cat Enthusiast

There are a few building around Innovation Depot that would make sense. For the City Council, maybe this could be the tipping point for moving forward with moving the police/fire/justice facility to Ensley, then opening up the current Bham PD HQ for a renovation for the World Trade Center. Make's perfect sense, IMO.

Although, in the near term, I agree with Tourian... it would probably make sense to start off with a single floor. There's about to be some room in Harbert Plaza, locating there could make some sense.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
I wonder what size building they will need and where it might be located??? Surely it will be downtown and hopefully in a large building.
I know in a previous article they were going to have to determine who the city will partner with to run this operation. They had mentioned U.A.B., Innovation Depot, and the Birmingham Business Alliance.
I was thinking this is a pretty big deal and it would be nice to have it in a very nice building to impress prospective clients, local and international.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:40 PM
The Salty Ham

The article escapes me...but that new business development center with the giant video wall near Regions Field would probably be a good location.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
I noticed about the same thing as you did. They definitely seem to be doing soil sampling.
A construction fence has gone up on the Highland Avenue site for the 17 story Vesta Apartment complex. Last weekend there was a large digger and a refuse dumpster on the site, looked like they were clearing a space for the construction trailers.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 7:23 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
A construction fence has gone up on the Highland Avenue site for the 17 story Vesta Apartment complex. Last weekend there was a large digger and a refuse dumpster on the site, looked like they were clearing a space for the construction trailers.
*knocks on all of the wood* I won't believe in this thing until I actually see steel rising from my office window.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:54 PM
The Salty Ham

It would be nice to see both it and the 5pts project going up at the same time.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:22 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
It would be nice to see both it and the 5pts project going up at the same time.
It would. If both projects come to fruition it would be a great sign that downtown's apartment demand is robust. Gotta build that momentum!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
It would. If both projects come to fruition it would be a great sign that downtown's apartment demand is robust. Gotta build that momentum!
Lets not forget phase III 20 Midtown, its a pretty nice sized project and it starts next month.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:22 PM
Burming Hammer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast