HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 11:49 PM

Ethnic is a privileged class now?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

For the city that it winds up going to, might be good for wages for similar job functions. Competition that is. Always good when you have employers that have roles such as software engineers, financing, media, communications, marketing, ect.

Will force employers to raise the standards to retain the talent. After all, if a company doesn't take care of its employees, the competition sure as hell will.

With Amazon in "X" city, the talent will be attracted to it, and with that, companies of "Y" employees in "Z" job function might see some migrate away. So long as Amazon has "Z" job functions related to "Y" employees.

Its like if JP Morgan moved right next to Wells Fargo. At some point, if JP is paying more and offers a more competitive package, Wells Fargo would have to raise its standards to retain employees aka talent, in the hopes that they don't look elsewhere. Just an example, but hopefully ya'll get the point.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
With Amazon in "X" city, the talent will be attracted to it, and with that, companies of "Y" employees in "Z" job function might see some migrate away. So long as Amazon has "Z" job functions related to "Y" employees.
Hahaha, I can't even understand what you're trying to say. It may be far too much of capitalist logic for me. Yet I've been much used to this XYZ variable shit.

You're missing integrals or differential equations that badly? What the fuck?

Amazon is just looking for tax cuts and a workforce both as cheap and as educated as they can get. They're staying in the US just to say - we are your patriotic folks!

They're nothing much innovative. The Chinese are doing the same to push their development and imperialist policy forward.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:25 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
You realize Jeff Bezos is the son of a Cuban immigrant?
Only his adopted father. His real father was from Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Pittsburgh's regional college retention rate is one of the lowest, about 50%.
That's to be expected though, because Pittsburgh is a very college-heavy city (IIRC only Boston exceeds it in terms of students as a percent of the population), which means that it spits out more college graduates than the area can retain. In addition, the data was calculated from Linkedin profiles - and a lot of older college grads who now have established careers are probably younger boomers/Xers who left when the bottom fell out of the local economy.

Having a high retention rate could be for good reasons (like having a dynamic local economy) but it can also be for bad reasons (few tier 1/2 universities with national reputations, meaning most students from upper-middle class backgrounds leave the metro when they graduate HS.

Indeed, looking at the study you cited, they mention DC's retention rate is about the same as Pittsburgh's for four-year graduates. It's also noted that most prestigious universities see the vast majority of students leave the metro upon graduation.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:52 AM

Why did Amazon call it the North American headquarters if only one non-US city (the one largest Canadian city), and no Mexican cities, ended up being considered?

Were they intending all along for non-US locations to remain competitive, or was the wording of "North American" just a token, symbolic gesture, with the intention of restricting it stateside all along?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:00 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Why did Amazon call it the North American headquarters if only one non-US city (the one largest Canadian city), and no Mexican cities, ended up being considered?

Were they intending all along for non-US locations to remain competitive, or was the wording of "North American" just a token, symbolic gesture, with the intention of restricting it stateside all along?
Only Amazon knows.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:09 AM

Well, at the very least it seems from early on in the discussion, very few thought cities in Mexico were going to be taken that seriously as contenders (though I can't remember how many chose to try and submit a bid), so, now we see that part of North America is out.

Now, only one non-US city remains to show how seriously the idea of a North American contest for the headquarters is going to be.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Well, at the very least it seems from early on in the discussion, very few thought cities in Mexico were going to be taken that seriously as contenders (though I can't remember how many chose to try and submit a bid), so, now we see that part of North America is out.

Now, only one non-US city remains to show how seriously the idea of a North American contest for the headquarters is going to be.
It was never going to be in Mexico. That should have been clear.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:51 AM

Quote:
You realize Jeff Bezos is the son of a Cuban immigrant?

Actually, he's the STEPson of a Cuban immigrant. His biological father, named Ted Jorgenson, was born in Chicago. His parents were young teens when he was born and their marriage lasted only a year. When he was 4, his mother remarried the Cuban immigrant to whom you refer but he was a pretty impressive guy none the less, coming to the US alone at age 15 and working his way through the U. of New Mexico to become a petroleum engineer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:15 AM

You guys are pathetic like looking for Bezos's ethnicity, genes or whatever to torture you.
He's been the richest guy on Earth since last "black friday", that's about it.
Then you're all so scared...

Ok. I'm going to torture you even more.

My lonely gay neighbor that's annoying me (I'm hetero) looks way better than him and fucks his woman whenever he wants to.

That's the only harsh reality I know about, and it pisses me off all the time.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 10:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i bet amazon alone is worth the whole gnp of france.

or at least a good chunk of it.

its certainly more useful.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i bet amazon alone is worth the whole gnp of france.

or at least a good chunk of it.

its certainly more useful.

France's GNP is about 4.5x Amazon's market cap. Still impressive, but Amazon also isn't entirely a US business.

The better comparison would be against the CAC 40 (the index of the 40 largest French companies), which is worth a little over $1.8 trillion. Amazon would represent about 1/3 of the value of the entire French equity market.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:49 PM

SNL's take on Amazon's 2nd. HQ !

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:20 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Amazon, the only company that trolls nearly as well (or perhaps even better???) than our "esteemed" President!

Seriously folks, this is all one huge dog and pony show, and it seems everyone's fallen for it. Don't you realize how utterly ridiculous this whole thing really is? Amazon's simply trolling for tax dollars. Nothing more, nothing less. They've already made their decision, this whole troll everyone thing is nothing but a sick game.

And frankly, it's pathetic. It's pathetic for them, just as it's pathetic for the so-called leader of the free world to do so.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:20 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Can't lie, they were spot on with Atlanta, LMAO!!!

(BTW, Kenan Thompson is an Atlanta native)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
You guys are pathetic like looking for Bezos's ethnicity, genes or whatever to torture you.
He's been the richest guy on Earth since last "black friday", that's about it.
Then you're all so scared...

Ok. I'm going to torture you even more.

My lonely gay neighbor that's annoying me (I'm hetero) looks way better than him and fucks his woman whenever he wants to.

That's the only harsh reality I know about, and it pisses me off all the time.
- Random! I'm not sure what to think of this post.

Bezos net wealth is almost all attributed to his 78,900,000 shares of Amazon he owns, which means his title of the world's richest man is vulnerable to the performance of Amazon's stock price. He would lose over $10 billion in a 10% correction.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
France's GNP is about 4.5x Amazon's market cap. Still impressive, but Amazon also isn't entirely a US business.

The better comparison would be against the CAC 40 (the index of the 40 largest French companies), which is worth a little over $1.8 trillion. Amazon would represent about 1/3 of the value of the entire French equity market.

turns out its actually its a third, not half and not 4.5x.

france’s gnp is $2.8T and amazon is closing in on a T market cap:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterco...uy-amazon/amp/

great stock to get too.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Amazon's simply trolling for tax dollars. Nothing more, nothing less. They've already made their decision, this whole troll everyone thing is nothing but a sick game.

Aaron (Glowrock)
They are looking for the best deal and package from taxpayers. That is certain.

I don't think they've made up their mind entirely. Maybe they're hoping for these front running cities to maybe find some new sources of money to enrich their offerers.

Maybe New Jersey can find another billion to give away??

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
While old angry white men stand around screaming about how everyone around them is moving forward....well, everyone else is...moving forward.

Aren't they always the ones that say everyone should pull themselves up by their bootstraps? Well shut up and do it already.
I thought it was literally the other way around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions