HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 9:36 PM
Registered

Having nothing to show for on NYE says a lot about the pride we have as citizens here...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceprobe View Post
Sorry...i meant CityTV.

They would create a show to cover....just like in Calgary. Calgary didn't have much of a New Years Eve celebration either until CityTV started it last year (ie....2 NYEs shows have been down so far). They set up a large stage and bring in singers etc. A show is therefore created for them to cover.
I recall VTV broadcasting a local NYE show in the late 90s. Live, from the Plaza of Nations its... Lou Bega is the only act I can remember... Guess the year

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 10:37 AM

^ Gotta say I really miss the Plaza of Nations. It could have used some improvements to make it more of a lively place (in addition to a renovated roof), but it was just what the city needed: covered outdoor plazas.

The replacement outdoor plaza planned for the site is not covered, as if it doesn't rain here. What use is public space if it isn't attractive and desirable to use 7-months of the year?

And then there's the history bit of it, would've been nice to keep and maintain one of the few structures left from Expo, even if it was meant to be temporary.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
One more video from Berlin's Neukölln neighbourhood. It's a poor neighbourhood with tens of thousands of Turkish immigrants and they celebrate like it would be a warzone. You wouldn't get me there on NYE!
Of course its young kids, hehe, buts regardless of what people think of it its these "types" of things that make memorable nights...or at least nights that a person can remember because their like no other night of the year...but here its so monotonous...and since we keep going with these examples - and I cant find good examples of the place I have always been most at awe with since the first time I set foot there here are some other examples from other days that can give a good idea of the "rush" one sees, smells and feels in Sao Paulo when there is reason to celebrate. Yes soccer/football is most peoples life out there but these examples are still relevant as new years is not different. July 2012 Corinthians wining the Brasil soccer/football championship, they are one of 3 teams in the city...& if you still question the energy then here is what you would see if you were landing when the first goal was scored aerial...if this is a bit of topic then at least anyone who watches this will get a bit of a heads up to whats coming in 2014. I just cant help but rave about the insanity of the place in regards to fireworks/energy. I always did like the over the top stuff that can get my heart beating a bit faster. Anyways new years is the same, just never saw any videos like this to give a good example of what I would like to share ohhh and there its all about the boom and echo through the canyons of endless concrete high-rises (take the summer firework finally ending in Vancouver, multiply it a few times and spread it over literally half a day, no joke), so a bit lacking in the light displays as the Reykjavik example shown.

*Once again i cant help my self so I hope im not taking this off topic, I just hate how "caged" and monotonous this city is...I want some memorable nights, some "SOUL"... at least for new years if no other night.

Last edited by cornholio; Jan 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion