HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 5:04 AM
Guess Who's Back?

For those of you who haven't seen the newly added pictures at the top of this thread dated the 4th Sept. Have a closer look!

View Picture

One of the 'outriggers' is already two stories high on one side with another six to go by the indents at the corners going up. (in yellow)

The foundations look set on the other two points as well.

From some of the renders we've seen, half way ( level 4) there will probably be another indent before stepping in once more into the first setback column. (in red)

And, for those who have complained about perspective size, remember that the base is still to get wider and 2 of the first 3 setbacks are at least 3-4 months away from finishing. Then there are another six equidistant setbacks before we even get to the steel constructed spire section.

To give you perspective, take all the above into consideration, remembering it's only currently at 30% of its final height........then compare it to the white bus in the bottom left corner of the picture.

Scary isn't it?

Last edited by Sky Tower; Sep 10, 2006 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 2:52 PM
Information Age

very nice updates!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 8:40 PM
`

Sep. 10 (67 stories):

Brian McMorrow

Emaar to unveil final South Ridge tower

Sep. 11 2006

Offering direct views of Burj Dubai, the iconic super-tower billed to be the tallest in the world when completed in 2008, the 130-apartment South Ridge 4 featuring one- and two-bedroom units will be open for sales from September 14, 2006. South Ridge 4 is also in close proximity to The Dubai Mall, the world’s largest mall, apart from the other components of Downtown Burj Dubai like boulevards, parks and walkways.

“The launch of South Ridge 4, the final tower in the South Ridge series, has been keenly anticipated by the investors,” said Bahiya Kayed, Assistant Director of Sales, Emaar Properties. “In addition to offering spectacular views of Burj Dubai, its central location is convenient to home-owners who look for easy access to all the business and financial nerve centers of Dubai. Being part of the prestigious Downtown Burj Dubai, residents can also look forward to being part of a trendy living environment with a host of leisure, retail, hospitality and entertainment elements.”

All South Ridge towers, featuring traditional Islamic architectural elements, have fetched overwhelming investor response. The towers have a unique design with the top sculpted into planes featuring elegant ornamental silhouettes. The interiors are characteristic of Islamic architectural styles and textures. The towers have modern amenities offered as standard in Emaar’s lifestyle projects.

The spacious one- and two-bedroom apartments in South Ridge 4 ranging from 927 and 1,486 sq. ft. are priced upwards of AED 834,888 and AED 1.64 million. Emaar Properties has joined hands with its home finance subsidiary Amlak Finance to offer easy home finance packages for South Ridge 4. Amlak will offer up to 96 per cent of the value for tenures of up to 20 years.

“Investor response to South Ridge towers has been overwhelming,” said Khalid Zainal, Head of Sales and Distribution, Amlak Finance. “With 4 per cent down payments of only AED 33,395 and AED 55,835 for one- and two-bedroom apartments followed by easy monthly installments of AED 6,980 and AED 11,653 respectively, investors and home-owners now have the option of owning a home at rates that are lesser than the rent they pay elsewhere.”

South Ridge towers are strategically located nearby The Old Town and The Old Town Island in Downtown Burj Dubai, and border the new Dubai International Financial Centre. The AED 73 billion (US$20 billion) Downtown Burj Dubai development also encompasses The Residences, Burj Dubai Lake Hotel and Serviced Apartments, The Lofts, Burj Views and Burj Dubai Boulevard. The ambitious development will create a new centre for the city and provide first class living, working and entertainment options.

Last edited by Slugbelch; Oct 28, 2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Added Sep. 10 pics

Old Posted Sep 12, 2006, 3:24 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Did you know that the Burj Dubai Tower is not just exceeding WTB of the early 1900's. It is already taller than the tallest building in the U.K.

The Canary Wharf, finished in 1991 is still the tallest building in the U.K. at a height of 235.1m.

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=88

Burj Dubai is already re-writing the history books.....and still a long way to go!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2006, 1:28 PM
`

Sep. 12th:

luiscarloshaddad

Last edited by Slugbelch; Oct 21, 2006 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 3:25 PM
`

Some older shots of the mall taken from on the tower:

super massive one for your desktop:

later updates below:

Also backdated a page with a new Aug 28th pic:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=142

and June 13th (2 pics):
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...1&postcount=74

*update*
Sep. 16th:

tapa boy

Last edited by Slugbelch; Sep 26, 2006 at 4:11 AM. Reason: added (3) 9-16 pic

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 4:04 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ Cool, I've never seen that render of the mall before. Also shows the new tower next to it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 4:36 PM
Information Age

wow great shots

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 12:33 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Right.....I've been doing some calculations.

You may have to read this a few times to grasp this but here goes.......

Look at the official contractors updated design on the Tower and you will notice a few things.
First of all it's now officially accepted to be +800 of which we all agree!
The concrete is supposed to finish at the start of Tier 16 and at floor level 156. So, 15 full height setback high.

A first setback of 16 floors and 14 equidistant setbacks of 10 floors takes you to 156th floor, the last of the boutique offices and the start of the steel....but not the spire! With me so far?

Ok, we know the average current floor height to be 3.4884m thanks to Slugbelch and his updates.

From the latest pictures by Imre, we now know the the first setback is 18 floors high and the second setback starts on the 33 floor 15 floors above.

So, if by all of the drawings and renders we've seen show equilateral setbacks after the first, it will be 18 floors with a new setback in a spiral around the tower every 15 floors from then on.

Ok.....there's 4 rounds of 3 setbacks that will total Tier 12 before the tower gets to the dimension of the central hexagonal core.

So, the top of Tier 12 will be 18+15+15 + 3x45 (or 9 x15)

Or to simplify 11x15+18 = Floor 183

I'll say that again....Floor 183 by the 12th Tier!

Floor 183 x by average floor height of 3.4884 = 638m

Ok, are you still with me?

So, we also know that the boutique is supposed to finish at the top of the 15th Tier and above that is communications, then the spire and finally the pinnacle.

So 3 more setbacks to the top of Tier 15 is:

3x15 = 45 floors + 183 floors = 228th Floor!

The top of Tier 15 = 228 x 3.4884 = 795.35m

Now the communication tower and spire are shown on the official documents to be from Tier 16 to Tier 23, then the pinnacle.

Ok, lets calm down a minute and hier on the side of caution.
Lets say that from this point they go against the grain, run out of money and only build the next 7 setbacks only 5 floors high.

That would be 7x5 = 35 more floors.....totalling 228 + 35 = 263 floors.

That would have a final height of 263 x 3.4884 = 917.44m + Pinnacle

Many pinnacles used on large buildings are often over 30m themselves.

So, 940m+ could easily be an accurate figure!

But.....lets all prey that they stick with conformity...all the way to the spire!

7x15 = Another 105 floors above the boutique and 15th Tier.

Totalling 105 + 228 = Level 333

333 x 3.4884 = 1161.63m

Lets all cheer for a 1km+ Tower at Burj Dubai

Last edited by Sky Tower; Sep 24, 2006 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 1:22 AM
Proudly Canadian

Here is something I cooked up a while ago.
[IMG][/IMG]

The levels are from this.

[IMG][/IMG]

They have followed this closely so far. The tiers are not equidistant. The Doka drawing I used is the old render, but The only real difference is that tier 19 stops on all 3 sides in the old render and continues the spiral setbacks in the new render. So I have shown it as the new renders, tiers 19, 20, and 21. Also for the inner core tiers ( 13 to 24 ) I show 2 numbers. The first follows the plan drawing. The second follows the new renders that seem to show 5 levels between setbacks.

I know they are not all inhabitable, but here's to hopin' for 201 levels !
Greatest structure ever!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 1:53 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Very nice.

So by your calculations.....181/201 Levels @ 3.4884/level

Would be 631m - 701m

I've just had a closer look and I see that I have mistaken the 3rd setback from the 2nd occupying the 33rd floor.....doh!

It seems that after looking at the setbacks they aren't equidistant either as you said, as it gets less taperred towards the top half.
They seem to go one higher each setback so I've revised my calculations having looked at yours, but continued to the 14th setback rather than the 12th before reverting to one setback every 5 levels.

My new theory is this: level 19+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19 = 248 Floors and 14th Setback followed by 10 more setbacks of 5 floors each.........

= 248+50 = 298 Floors @ 3.4884/level = 1039m + Pinnacle

It just goes to show that even on the 12th setback and at the 142nd floor, all they have to do is carry on the trend for another two setbacks and it can make the difference from being a 630+ tower to a 1000m+ tower, with no one knowing at even this stage of the build.

Well, we'll have a better idea this time next year!

I'm confused again! ......but I'm still putting all my money on 850m+

If I'm wrong I'll buy you lunch in the observation deck when it's finished....who else fancy's a wager?

Last edited by Sky Tower; Sep 24, 2006 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 2:28 AM
Proudly Canadian

Well ... I think Culwulla from ssc is correct at 3.8 m / level ave. So 763 with say 45 m spire = the 808 STR and others are saying. ( at 201 levels ). I hope, like others, that it is 1 km. But I will NOT be disappointed no matter what height it ends up. Love the structure.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 2:44 AM
`

I would like to believe culwulla number too, if it could be backed up with some official documentation.
The 3.4884 average is from an official document on the top page for everyone to see. It said that in May 06,
at level 43, it was 150 meters. That was from the Burjs' official contractor Besix.

If his can be verified, I would change mine too. I would love to see a higher average for a higher tower!

Only very few people around the world can get together to build something this big, so they might as well max it out!

*update*
Sep. 18th:

trimpop

Last edited by Slugbelch; Sep 25, 2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added 9-18 pic

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 2:51 AM
Proudly Canadian

The pics and info from this site and SSC on the Burj Dubai are fantastic, almost like being there. Hats off to all the people contibuting, 1172 pics so far, sweet.
I hope the next WTB ( like say, the mile high - might as well aim high... ) is in North America. This is not for any racial or ethnic reasons, but the info and pics from people close to the project would be much more timely and forthcoming. There would not be all the secrecy like what surrounds the Burj Dubai. We all would have all kinds of early info that is totally non-existant regarding the Burj. I refer to the initial planning stage, all the way through earthworks.

Again, to all people givin' us pics/info

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 3:09 AM
Guess Who's Back?

I agree, most people don't like all the cloak and daggers with all the secrecy over final heights and stuff.......but it makes it all the more interesting.
They did the same with Tipai 101, then at the last minute came out with a much taller spire and antenna than planned to leap into the record books.
They might be holding back to see if any of the other scrapers pose a threat to WTB

If the average height was 3.8m/level, the design going up 1 more level per setback only to the 12th setback as per the original drawing.

Works out to be 801.1m + Pinnacle

Hmmmm....back to square one!

Last edited by Sky Tower; Sep 24, 2006 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 4:05 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugbelch
I would like to believe culwulla number too, if it could be backed up with some official documentation. The 3.4884 average is from an official document on the top page for everyone to see. It said that in May 06, at level 43, it was 150 meters. That was from the Burjs' official contractor Besix.

If his can be verified, I would change mine too. I would love to see a higher average for a higher tower!

Only very few people around the world can get together to build something this big, so they might as well max it out!
all i hope is when the tower is done, the last floor that can be occupied will be around 705m's that's all i CARE ABOUT right now

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 4:32 AM
`

Gulf Extrusions supplies 170 tons of aluminium for Burj Dubai project till date
AMEinfo Tuesday, September 19 - 2006

Gulf Extrusions Co., one of the largest aluminium extrusion plants in the Gulf, has announced that it has supplied 170 tons of aluminium till date for the Burj Dubai project, proposed to be the world's tallest building.

Gulf Extrusions is the sole supplier of aluminium for the construction of Burj Dubai, and had signed an AED 130 million contract to supply 1,400 metric tons of alloy 6061 and 6063 for the project which is scheduled for completion by 2008.

Burj Dubai is set to be an architectural wonder that will be one of Dubai's biggest tourist attractions. Being built at a cost of US$ 8 billion, the building is expected to be over 940 meters high. Burj Dubai is designed to be the centre of a large-scale, mixed-use development that will include commercial, residential, shopping, entertainment and leisure outlets.

'Being associated with a prestigious project like Burj Dubai has certainly been a highlight for us this year. We have been able to meet our commitments for this project as per schedule, and we have significantly enhanced our production capacity to meet the increased market demand sparked by stepped-up construction activity in the UAE,'
said Modar Al Mekdad, General Manager, Gulf Extrusions.

'Gulf Extrusions has been a regional pioneer in the field of aluminium extrusion, and the supreme quality of our products has been central to the success we have achieved over the years. We will continue to focus on delivering cost-effective, high-quality aluminium products and services designed to meet specific customer requirements,' he added.

Gulf Extrusions produces over 9,000 profiles, ranging from architectural sections to components for household items, AC grills and customised products. Gulf Extrusions also extrudes products of several European suppliers and companies under agreement. Nearly 70 per cent of the output generated by Gulf Extrusions is used in the local market to support the building and construction projects. The export markets include South East Asia, GCC countries, Europe and Canada.

Last edited by Slugbelch; Oct 24, 2006 at 4:13 PM. Reason: added pix

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 9:59 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugbelch
I would like to believe culwulla number too, if it could be backed up with some official documentation. The 3.4884 average is from an official document on the top page for everyone to see. It said that in May 06, at level 43, it was 150 meters. That was from the Burjs' official contractor Besix.

I don't know but did Culwulla assume all floors are the same? They're not, the office floors near the top are way higher than the rest

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 7:16 PM
Information Age

This picture kinda reminds me of Paris (with BD as the Eifel tower...)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 2:19 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
I don't know but did Culwulla assume all floors are the same? They're not, the office floors near the top are way higher than the rest
He did. So far as I know, the only comprehensive attempt to estimate the structure based on accurate floor-by-floor heights is my 3D model of a couple months back. Most of the floors arer 3.2m, not 3.555whatever. However, there are numerous floors that are much higher (including the good 20+ double height floors at the top you mention) which bring the average up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa