HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 9:34 AM

CASO Railway Station in St. Thomas

As many of you probably know, the Canada Southern Railway Station in St. Thomas is getting a lot of attention getting restored to what it was like in its glory days. They have been hard at work, and I got a tour of it today, and thought I would share some photos I took.

The station as viewed from the end of the platform.

The lady's waiting room. The large doors would take you out to the platforms to board trains. The men's waiting room was a separate waiting room with its own reference section.

The lady's waiting room, shown from a passage way.

The kitchen. Stainless steel wouldn't have been used at the time, but weddings and special events take place at the station, and a kitchen up to health regulations must be present for caterers.

The upstairs hallway. Notice the elevator to the left. This was not a feature in the station before renovations took place, but needed for accessibility standards.

The bathrooms even have their own charm. I like the stall doors.

The new entrance. The glass doors are a nice touch.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 11:15 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Nice!It's great to see a large historic building get the renovations it deserves.

So is it just going to be used for weddings and special events now?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 12:03 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Looks great. Ready for all those passengers

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 4:01 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Looks great. Ready for all those passengers
Will it actually become a train station once again, or is this just going to be a museum or something?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Will it actually become a train station once again, or is this just going to be a museum or something?
Obviously it wouldn't be a station unless there's a service to St. Thomas. But if there was a service, it would be a viable solution. But for now, it will be used for office spaces, a museum, and a banquet hall.

The first office will be occupied November 1st. Steve Peters has decided to move into the station, which I think is a good move on his part. He's always been interested in the local economy more so than some other MPPs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues