HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 12:28 AM

Concrete As A Residential High Rise Exterior

I know that there has been a bit of dissatisfaction expressed here over the years about most residential towers outside of Toronto being constructed as the standard formed-in-place or prefab concrete.

There's a reason: they're bullet proof and last forever. Low maintenance costs. Is glass and other "thin" curtain wall constructions more attractive? Certainly.

I've been told stories though for 5 or 7 years now about how many of them don't last. There is a good article by the CBC on the issue. A good read:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ed-condos.html

Last edited by Snark; Nov 16, 2011 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 1:09 AM
User Registered

Everything in moderation.

You can build a glass condo tower that looks amazing but is costly to maintain or you can build a concrete tower that's solid as a rock but has little visual appeal.

A good mix of the two weighs the pros and the cons so the pros from each design outweigh the cons.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 2:59 AM

That's an interesting point they make. Sure we all like shiny buildings, but are we doing the responsible thing by building these monoliths of power & prosperity.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:47 AM
Torontonian Refugee

I don't mind some of the concrete tower blocks, just that the vast majority of them are so heroically ugly that the negative externalities that they impose on a society that has to look at them every day far outweigh any future retrofitting costs.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I don't mind some of the concrete tower blocks, just that the vast majority of them are so heroically ugly that the negative externalities that they impose on a society that has to look at them every day far outweigh any future retrofitting costs.
Like commie blocks?

Last edited by Symz; Nov 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 1:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Word.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 5:54 AM
bro

Smile

Interesting article. I don't necessarily mind concrete towers, it's just that our skyline is really getting overwhelmed with uninteresting buildings.

Coincidentally, One London Place just had some of its windows replaced this afternoon. Click for fullsize:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:39 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Word.

I just realized how many times I used "that". Sounds awful, must have been posting around 2:00am or something

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 1:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^made up for by the "heroically ugly" descriptor.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 2:09 AM

Quote:
...that the negative externalities that they impose on a society that has to look at them every day far outweigh any future retrofitting costs.
Agreed, except that society won't be paying those future retrofitting costs - the owners will, and they don't want to.

In the end, it's still the same old thing: money talks and bullsh1t walks.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 8:05 PM

I don't mind concrete but can't they paint them any other colour but grey? London's skyline is beginning to look like a study in Stalinist architecture.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:16 PM

It can be done tastefully, I think developers just need to take a little more time to think of the impact to the area...some of those commie blocks are just ridiculous, if they just added some color or something to differentiate the buildings even that would help.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:17 AM
ARTchitecture

London has wayyyy too many concrete exteriors for a city its size. Including the 2 Renaissance Twins and the two twins near One London Place as major examples.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
London has wayyyy too many concrete exteriors for a city its size. Including the 2 Renaissance Twins and the two twins near One London Place as major examples.
Agreed...however I think the Renaissance twins are actually quite nice for concrete towers they are done a lot better than most. That said they would look better mixed in with a few nice glass 25-30 floor residential of course.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:33 PM
User Registered

I would classify buildings like the Renaissance and City Place hybrids. They're concrete but they have some character. City Place is painted white and Renaissance beige.

The Crown on King developments should have some character to them as well.

Someone needs to take a paintbrush to the City Centre towers, the Hilton and commieville (AKA Cherryhill).

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Cherryhill is bad, but that god awful property across from costco is far worse.

Slabsville, Inc.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 10:44 PM

^ The Proudfoot quadruplets?

The Hilton looks terrible, I have to look at that mess every day. You'd think a more upscale brand like that would be embarrassed about the appearance of their building.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 11:13 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't mind concrete but can't they paint them any other colour but grey? London's skyline is beginning to look like a study in Stalinist architecture.
I don't think the grey concrete is an issue, I think uninspired designs are a much bigger problem. Even if you paint a standard tower block a cheerful yellow, it's still gonna look like shit just because it's just a soul-crushing, unimaginative box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
The Hilton looks terrible, I have to look at that mess every day. You'd think a more upscale brand like that would be embarrassed about the appearance of their building.
I'm not sure if they would. There are lots of Hiltons that look like rubbish, but they tend to be in places where they don't get a lot of exposure- such as Laval or London. Posh vacationers with money don't really care about them, and since business travelers are just treating it as a place to sleep they don't care either.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues