HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 5:12 PM
bro

Smile New East Village?

All of these recent Old East developments have me imagining what might be in store for this neighbourhood. I've lived on William Street at the edge of Woodfield for basically my entire life and really do love central London. It's been great watching downtown change for the better and it'd be wonderful if the same could happen in Old East.

Personally, I'd love to see a Richmond Row-type strip with a lot of foot traffic. With possibly thousands of new people moving into the area hopefully we'll start to see the return of shops, bars and restaurants. I also see the large historic neighbourhood directly North becoming quite desirable once again. The quiet tree-lined streets would likely become even more popular with new families looking to settle. I'd also imagine a lot of Fanshawe students would enjoy the area as it could provide a lot of entertainment but also be very close to campus.

I'd like hear your opinions on what you think the future might hold for Old East Village. What do you guys think new Dundas East will look like? Do you think this is the beginning of major revitalization or do you think the area will remain the same? Will the area appeal to artists and students or seniors and young families? Will the area be able to sustain a grocery store?

Last edited by bolognium; Sep 22, 2010 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 2:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^nice shot, shows the area through rose-colored glasses. Gentrification is possible....IF London as a whole goes through a sustained boom period. Something I do not forsee in the near future, alas. Esp. under the current status quo administration.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 5:33 AM

Old East will never become a new Richmond Row and I think that's a good thing.
Something along the idea of Wortley or the developing SOHO would not only be a more reasonable expectation but also a more desireable one,

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Old East will never become a new Richmond Row and I think that's a good thing.
Something along the idea of Wortley or the developing SOHO would not only be a more reasonable expectation but also a more desireable one,
I agree. Richmond Row has a lot of bars, and while I see no problem with having 2 or 3 bars in Old East, I'd like to see something more like Wortley Village. No welfare bum meccas like Money Mart.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 2:54 AM

I took a drive through Old East today. Looks like a war zone right now with all the demolitions, dotted with pawn shops and Money Marts. But there is light at the end of the tunnel...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 1:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^what, did someone forget to turn of the lights at CTB?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^what, did someone forget to turn of the lights at CTB?
The old man and his son have survived the Killer B's, eating at Taco Hell, the Leafs' Stanley Cup drought, Mike Harris, and alien abductions in their lifelong pursuit of the broking of pawn. I'm sure they'll survive a little nearby construction.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 1:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^all these things are great for pawnbroking business. Crappy Marble Loaf memorabilia which is pawned to get a few value deals at Taco Hell. Mike Harris and his common nonsense revolution cutting welfare so they have to sell their meager possessions (and often, their bodies) to survive. The old man is thriving: he now has his two sons working with him. Keep it in the family. I hear he's planning a second outlet for Byron.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 8:16 AM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I agree. Richmond Row has a lot of bars, and while I see no problem with having 2 or 3 bars in Old East, I'd like to see something more like Wortley Village. No welfare bum meccas like Money Mart.
I was referring more to the vibe of Richmond than the bars and clubs. Richmond Row is vibrant and alive whereas Dundas East is neglected and dumpy. But with all of the recent projects and renovations it won't take long for local business to recognize the unique character of Old East. I don't see Dundas pulling the same crowds as Richmond, but I definitely see it becoming a popular spot among artists and young professionals.

Also, I don't really see Dundas having many similarities to Wortley Village present or future. Sure, hopefully it becomes a more walkable strip, but it will never have the quaint town feeling of Wortley. Not only is Dundas much more busy than Wortely, but the 1900's streetwall feels completely different from the separate houses comprising Wortley village.

Who knows what'll happen to Dundas East. It could end up feeling similar to King Street West near the JLC for all I know. But one thing's for sure, it really doesn't have anywhere to go but up.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:51 PM

Once the two major developments are done, the increased foot traffic and raising property assessments will surely bring in exciting new developments and push out some of the ... pawn shoppier stuff.

Whether the whole area can rebrand itself though... I'd say that depends on the big chunk of possible development right across the street from the new developments. I don't know the address, but there's that large fenced off property right on Dundas. Once people start moving in to the Crown and the seniors apartments, that property will be the gauge for what's possible. If it sells quickly, the sky's the limit, if it still sits there undeveloped despite it's prime location, good old East of Adelaide is gonna keep its perceptions for some time.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 9:51 PM
bro

Here's an article from today about Dundas East: LFP - Old East’s rebirth

I definitely agree with you about the fenced in Embassy lot being a good indicator of the area's success.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 3:46 AM
bro

Smile

Dundas East by My TVC 15, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 1:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^wow, some tangible evidence of rebirth. even in such a poor regional economy.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 9:32 PM

I have always thought Old East was a tree gem just waiting to be polished up.

How is the neighbourhood doing these days?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues