HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 3:43 PM

There is some digging going on at site of the new East-West University building.

Also, anyone know what's going in at that small 2 story building next to the old Hotel Roosevelt across from Trader Joes at Wabash and Roosevelt? It was completely gutted except for the rear and side walls. It looks like it has been given a new roof and ye olde precast front facade and has been converted into one double-height space. Its hard to tell whats going on behind the scaffolding as I ride by on my bike.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montasauraus View Post
There is some digging going on at site of the new East-West University building.

Also, anyone know what's going in at that small 2 story building next to the old Hotel Roosevelt across from Trader Joes at Wabash and Roosevelt? It was completely gutted except for the rear and side walls. It looks like it has been given a new roof and ye olde precast front facade and has been converted into one double-height space. Its hard to tell whats going on behind the scaffolding as I ride by on my bike.

The facade on the building next to the roosevelt hotel is limestone, so they are not being cheap in creating a very nice building. Hoever is doing this has a good head on their shoulders by keeping the old rear and side walls and creating a limestone facade with a brand new interior...Good job. We need more smart people like this doing small developments around the city instead of demolishing everything.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:07 PM
BANNED

^^^ Are you sure it is limestone? I'd like to see some pictures, good to hear if someone actually has the balls to use real materials for once.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon07 View Post
The facade on the building next to the roosevelt hotel is limestone, so they are not being cheap in creating a very nice building. Hoever is doing this has a good head on their shoulders by keeping the old rear and side walls and creating a limestone facade with a brand new interior...Good job. We need more smart people like this doing small developments around the city instead of demolishing everything.
The rumor is that a new diner is going in that space. With Yolk, 11 and Bongo room really close by, this is turning into a nice brunch/diner area. 2 hour waits for brunch on any of the places I mentioned are extremely common

http://www.sloopin.com/2011/12/rumor...l-edition.html

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:57 PM

Nice to hear. By looks of that building it was almost destined for complete demo. Keeping it around will continue to keep the SL architecturally diverse.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 7:34 PM
Urbane observer

^Building permit just says cafe.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:03 PM

Drove by the corner of Clark and Addison earlier and some construction fencing has gone up in addition to a dumpster on site. I know the Ricketts purchased this site, including the McDonalds, but I haven't heard anything since then. Does anyone know whats going on?

I have included a image to highlight the fenced in area:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:06 PM

Also, a good amount of structural steel has gone up at the Burberry site. You can easily comprehend the massing of the new building now.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Drove by the corner of Clark and Addison earlier and some construction fencing has gone up in addition to a dumpster on site. I know the Ricketts purchased this site, including the McDonalds, but I haven't heard anything since then. Does anyone know whats going on?

I have included a image to highlight the fenced in area:

^ I would be amazed if they were starting so quickly, and even if they were why would only the area in orange be fenced in? One possibility is that they are doing this project in 2 phases?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:39 PM

Possibly building a new McDonald's on the corner (since a McDonald's on the lot was one of the agreements they came too), then once that opens, they can demolish and redevelop that site. Just a thought.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:06 PM

Temporary tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Possibly building a new McDonald's on the corner (since a McDonald's on the lot was one of the agreements they came too), then once that opens, they can demolish and redevelop that site. Just a thought.
Saw this posted under building permits on everyblock:

PERMIT EXPIRES ON 03/31/2012 Erection Starts: 2/6/2012, Erection Ends: 4/6/2012. ERECT (1) 50' X 82' TEMPORARY TENT FOR THE 1060 MEDIA, LLC EVENT START 2/6/2012 AND END 4/6/2012. THIS PERMIT WILL NOT BE VALID AFTER 60 DAYS FROM START DATE. SUBJECT TO ZONING APPROVAL AND SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTION.
3610 N. Clark St.Issued February 3, 2012 CommentSubscribe

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:11 PM

Dang, I like my idea better

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:31 PM
tilted & shifted

^I don't see that happening. Building a piddly, one-story McDonald's on that corner would be a tremendous waste. It will likely be torn down and reintegrated as a retail tenant into whatever is eventually built there.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:33 PM

Well I would hope they would build the McDonald's on the ground floor of a bigger building, otherwise, yes, that would be ridiculous!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:00 AM

The drunk McDonalds and the drunk Taco Bell.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:09 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Probably to make it less of a cave. I think the idea was for the building to appear open and airy...possibly even support double height retail entries depending on the tenant. Now it seems it could have remained.
Hard to see how it could remain. The restaurant entrance will be all the way to the left - under the Esquire sign. The rest is still first floor retail with ~20' high ceilings and customizable facades. An old marquee running down the middle would look awkward with the modern designs of most new high-end stores.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Hard to see how it could remain. The restaurant entrance will be all the way to the left - under the Esquire sign. The rest is still first floor retail with ~20' high ceilings and customizable facades. An old marquee running down the middle would look awkward with the modern designs of most new high-end stores.
I like that. I mean, I miss the theatre, but as far as replacements go that's not bad.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 7:06 PM
BANNED

^^^I agree. Though for nostalgic reasons I'll miss the marquee. I think this is ultimatley good for the street

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 6:26 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...hyde-park.html

CLEARING THE AIR: Amtrak and U.S. Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) have accused British developer Bill Davies of being partly responsible for the polluted air in Union Station. They said Davies, owner of the old Chicago Main Post Office, hasn’t maintained exhaust fans in the train tunnel that connects the building to the station.

... A 1931 agreement obligates the post office building’s owner to maintain the fans. A spokeswoman for Davies’ International Property Developers said the firm had contended Amtrak should chip in on the cost. She said the firm is now current on the electric bill and is paying the entire $22,000-per-month load.

It’s just one example of Davies’ huge and escalating carrying costs for the empty building, which he wants to redevelop as a retail, hotel and parking centerpiece for new high-rises. ...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 6:39 AM

Old news - not sure if a writeup ever made it onto here, or what is the state of the project now.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...r-breathe.html

January 17, 2012

TECH TRYOUT: Backers of a new incubator for technology companies is Chicago are scheduled Wednesday to announce plans to put it in a 50,000-square-foot building at 222 W. Hubbard, just north of the Merchandise Mart. Matt Moog, founder of the consumer-product review site Viewpoints.com, is backing the venture with J.B. Pritzker and others.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development