HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Thanks for the updates, Westsidelife! The improvements are very impressive, especially to TBIT.

I love the idea of the new connector for passenger convenience, but personally will really miss being able to hang out outside between TBIT and Terminal 4 to watch all of the international flights arriving/departing.
From the looks of the rendering, there seems to be a provision for plane spotting while waiting on connections.

My guess btw, is that the rennovation of T5 will include a connector just past security between T4 and T6, thus all the terminals will be connected past security but not midway into each pier. I could be wrong since few renderings and very little architectural info on the T5 renovation has been released, but I wouldn't be surprised to see just that.

As for T1, T2, and T3, I believe LAWA just wants to rebuild that whole side of the airport from scratch depending on what they do with the northern runways.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
My guess btw, is that the rennovation of T5 will include a connector just past security between T4 and T6, thus all the terminals will be connected past security but not midway into each pier. I could be wrong since few renderings and very little architectural info on the T5 renovation has been released, but I wouldn't be surprised to see just that.
There is no such connector in the plans.

In the future, connections between terminals 8 to 5 and TBIT (T4 connector building) will take place by bus. (There will be a bus port on the lower level of the T4 connector building.)

As to the scope of the T5 renovations, there is nothing of architectural significance in the plans. What you see in the pictures someone posted above pretty much reveals the scope of the project. In short, the changes will be largely cosmetic, from wall treatments to floors.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
From the looks of the rendering, there seems to be a provision for plane spotting while waiting on connections.

As for T1, T2, and T3, I believe LAWA just wants to rebuild that whole side of the airport from scratch depending on what they do with the northern runways.
in the LAX master plan it calls for the northern terminals demolution and construction of a large terminal running east to west, spanning from TBIT to the entrance of LAX.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 3:13 AM

When I walked into the empty new building a few months ago, I couldn't help but think, "that's it?" It's a stunning interior and I'd easily put it alongside Bangkok, Hong Kong, etc. With that said though, it's tiny. Considering how big the rest of TBIT and airport are, I highly doubt that this small terminal is going to do much to change people's perceptions and keep us off the "world's worst airports" lists.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 5:27 PM

Flew from Denver into LA yesterday. LAX is an embarrassment to the city of Los Angeles. Compared to DIA it is dirty, confusing, almost totally bereft of amenities, and a nightmare to get around. I'm not sure its problems can be fixed. LA ought to re-examine the question of opening a new international airport somewhere else.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 5:59 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Flew from Denver into LA yesterday. LAX is an embarrassment to the city of Los Angeles. Compared to DIA it is dirty, confusing, almost totally bereft of amenities, and a nightmare to get around. I'm not sure its problems can be fixed. LA ought to re-examine the question of opening a new international airport somewhere else.
Sure because Los Angeles is full of space to build a brand new international airport.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:
everything you mentioned and then some is being addressed

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 8:07 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
I mostly agree, but just out of curiosity, what terminal did you pass through?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
When I walked into the empty new building a few months ago, I couldn't help but think, "that's it?" It's a stunning interior and I'd easily put it alongside Bangkok, Hong Kong, etc. With that said though, it's tiny. Considering how big the rest of TBIT and airport are, I highly doubt that this small terminal is going to do much to change people's perceptions and keep us off the "world's worst airports" lists.
That is surprising because its quite large. You could fit all of staples center and then some just in the main central hub of the area.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
I mostly agree, but just out of curiosity, what terminal did you pass through?
That's part of the problem; landed at terminal 6; baggage came in at terminal 7; had parked at the lot opposite terminal 6. Had to walk the entire distance. Maybe some of the other terminals are better, but 6 & 7 are pretty bad and 8 is vile.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Sure because Los Angeles is full of space to build a brand new international airport.
They didn't build DIA in downtown Denver, in case you're unfamiliar with it.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 11:05 PM

There will be a vote whether to name TBIT's Great Hall Villaraigosa Pavilion, or not.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
There will be a vote whether to name TBIT's Great Hall Villaraigosa Pavilion, or not.
Unless the "modernization" plan begins with vast quantities of dynamite and restriction of all streets leading to it to airport traffic only, it's going to be a waste of money and won't result in anything better than the mess that's there now.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 3:58 AM

Quote:
DIA is the newest major airport in the U.S., built from scratch on virgin prairie 25 miles from Downtown. Of course it's cleaner, less confusing (being modeled after the uber-efficient ATL) and much easier to get around.

LAX was built in a different day and age decades ago, when airlines had their own individual terminals and "connecting hubs" were a totally unknown concept. LAX performs remarkably well given its age, space constraints, litigious well-funded NIMBY's, it's position as THE de facto premiere gateway to Asia & the Pacific Rim for the entire Country and the fact that it is the number one O&D airport in the entire U.S. And it does all of this without slot controls.

No offense intended here, but if you find LAX to be an embarrassment I take it you have never flown into JFK, LaGuardia or Newark.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:

No offense intended here, but if you find LAX to be an embarrassment I take it you have never flown into JFK, LaGuardia or Newark.
Thank you! Newark Airport is gross! And, I've only flown into and out of it once back in 2001, but Detroit Airport was also gross! I think it's been remodeled/expanded since then, but back in 2001, it was a bad experience. Very outdated terminals with narrow concourses, so it wasn't convenient to get around, and, even in 2001, people were still allowed to smoke inside, so my allergies totally started acting up.

As much as people love to complain about LAX, there's still something very cool about it, I don't know what it is. It's very, well, LA.

Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Thank you! Newark Airport is gross! And, I've only flown into and out of it once back in 2001, but Detroit Airport was also gross! I think it's been remodeled/expanded since then, but back in 2001, it was a bad experience. Very outdated terminals with narrow concourses, so it wasn't convenient to get around, and, even in 2001, people were still allowed to smoke inside, so my allergies totally started acting up.

As much as people love to complain about LAX, there's still something very cool about it, I don't know what it is. It's very, well, LA.

Video Link
I agree, sopas ej. I think LAX is just dumped on too much - I personally happen to like the place, but I'm a travel geek.

As far as Detroit goes, you would be blown away by their new terminal. Absolutely amazing, and perhaps our most modern and architecturally significant new terminal in the U.S. in years - until TBIT, anyway.

http://preview2.metroairport.com/Home.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE7-4Oaj0rQ

Last edited by atlantaguy; May 21, 2013 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544
They didn't build DIA in downtown Denver, in case you're unfamiliar with it.

DTW is the "newest" airport in the US: having all its terminals totally rebuilt in the past 10 years. McNamara Terminal (Delta's second largest hub) is the only terminal that is, in terms of looks, size, scale, and quality, straight out of Asia. The new TBIT will be in that same category once it's fully opened and operational, but the rest of the terminals and airfield work will be a gradual process.

LAX could improve in a lot of areas right now, but for an airport with an airfield that was smaller than ATL pre-runway 10/28 (ATL's 4-parallel runway layout was based off LAX) sering a metro area of 18 million, it makes remarkably high and efficient use of what it has. There are no large empty areas of the airport at any given time, something I can only say about it and ATL. And there are no large areas of open land to build a new DFW or DEN-sized airport anywhere in Greater Los Angeles that would be convenient to a majority of residents in the region and that are located on the E-W flight paths into the area. Anyone who flies into LAX sees the necessity of this by looking out the right windows of the aircraft. At 10,000 ft over the Inland Empire, you're basically just 10 miles south of the San Gabriel Mountains and are level with them in elevation.

The ONLY thing besides the current improvements and master plan for LAX that would provide significant congestion relief and additional capacity for air travel in Southern California would be to move San Diego International Airport to Miramar. There's room there for an airport at least the size of O'Hare to serve not only San Diego, but OC and the southern half of the Inland Empire as well. But that won't happen until another BRAC round decides on closing the facility and/or moving its operations elsewhere. San Diego will do this eventually, but it will be at least another generation before it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy
DIA is the newest major airport in the U.S., built from scratch on virgin prairie 25 miles from Downtown. Of course it's cleaner, less confusing (being modeled after the uber-efficient ATL) and much easier to get around.

LAX was built in a different day and age decades ago, when airlines had their own individual terminals and "connecting hubs" were a totally unknown concept. LAX performs remarkably well given its age, space constraints, litigious well-funded NIMBY's, it's position as THE de facto premiere gateway to Asia & the Pacific Rim for the entire Country and the fact that it is the number one O&D airport in the entire U.S. And it does all of this without slot controls.

JFK is the only New York area airport that is making any significant improvements in any area, and most of it is thanks to Delta. United couldn't give two sh*ts bout EWR, they'll just milk it for all its worth until it's absolutely necessary to rebuild the whole thing from scratch. United is giving more attention to IAH (a hub they threatened to cut a huge amount of service from if Houston opened up HOU to international flights for WN) right now, of all its hubs: that says a lot more about EWR than anything else.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:23 AM

Quote:

I have flown into all three multiple times and I still find LAX to be an embarrassment to Los Angeles.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:27 AM

The most immediate thing LAX ought to do to the terminal area that hasn't been done yet is to redo the cab/shuttle waiting areas. A 4-foot wide island between arrival traffic and thru traffic is ridiculous.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:30 AM

Quote:
I have flown into all three multiple times and I still find LAX to be an embarrassment to Los Angeles.
Sorry jg6544, we'll have to just agree to disagree then.

I find the three combined NYC area airports to be a massive slap in the face to our largest metro, for both residents and visitors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation