HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:17 PM

They've been pumping a lot of concrete here and I see the first columns rising on both sides of the crane. I guess I should learn how to post pictures.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 7:00 PM

Phase C going to Council Monday.

34-storey mixed-use tower:
371 residential units + 9,322 SF of ground floor retail.

https://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounc...18-0095-00.pdf

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 9:33 PM

Ugh.
A bit of a bastardized version of the 2 original towers.
The unifying elements (solid walls on the narrow sides of the floorplate) tying the rooftop canopy to the base of the tower have been replaced with glass - so the canopy no longer relates to anything.
The canopy also does not hide the mechanical penthouse, which pokes awkwardly above.

The jumbled look of the balconies along the wide facades is okay, but needs to be restrained
- i.e. contained in a frame like the other towers.
The staggered windows and balconies at the corners also add to the chaos.

Last edited by officedweller; Sep 14, 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 10:30 PM

It is a bit of a chaotic and jumbled mess - but that seems to be the intentional theme? The retail podium is a mix of materials / colours too - distinguishing each of the CRUs. Better than something boring and monotonous?

The roof would look better with the mechanical contained within the canopy.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 10:43 PM

Apologies if it's already been mentioned but this one is planned to be a rental tower.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Apologies if it's already been mentioned but this one is planned to be a rental tower.
No need to mention that, about half of each condo building in this area are rental units... I bet. PA west has about 185 rental units. Many students and young families are renting here

I believe that some units are BnB too, I always see people with luggage at PA west entrance waiting for the someone to bring them key and fob. Some are advertised in airbnb web sites. I hope the strata stops them soon.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
That explains the design.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-clam9 View Post
No need to mention that, about half of each condo building in this area are rental units... I bet. PA west has about 185 rental units. Many students and young families are renting here

I believe that some units are BnB too, I always see people with luggage at PA west entrance waiting for the someone to bring them key and fob. Some are advertised in airbnb web sites. I hope the strata stops them soon.
Not only do P.A. strata by-laws prohibit BnB, but they are illegal in Surrey in these type of buildings. The fines have recently increased to $1,000.00 a day. If you are aware of a BnB, report it to the management company, Rancho in this case, because they won't do anything unless you do. I did because I was mad about not being able to get on an elevator as it was too full of luggage, and seeing the pool crowded with people, who obviously didn't live here, smoking and drinking openly as if they were at an all inclusive resort. I have not seen evidence of one operating since. There had to have been at least 6-8 doing so before that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:27 PM

It looks like they've put in the base for a second crane

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:30 PM

Second crane being unloaded right now

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
Second crane being unloaded right now

Aww...you beat me to it.
Is anyone else seeing Xs in black boxes everywhere on this page? Even the emojis are not available.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 6:06 PM

Nope everything fine for me there boatman.

I like this tower btw, looks fine to me. I think what throws people off is the Sketchup like render vs a formal finished render of the building. I am a bit disappointed in that it will have residential given originally the plan called for a Commercial business tower. But I guess with the adjustment to Phase B to increase the commercial space, they feel there isn't enough push with the Innovation Boulevard developments to have that much commercial.

Either way good to see the phases starting to increase in speed. Hopefully we see a Phase D proposal in the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Nope everything fine for me there boatman.

I like this tower btw, looks fine to me. I think what throws people off is the Sketchup like render vs a formal finished render of the building. I am a bit disappointed in that it will have residential given originally the plan called for a Commercial business tower. But I guess with the adjustment to Phase B to increase the commercial space, they feel there isn't enough push with the Innovation Boulevard developments to have that much commercial.

Either way good to see the phases starting to increase in speed. Hopefully we see a Phase D proposal in the next few years.
Speaking of innovation boulevard, Mayoral candidate Bruce Hyne was mentioning getting it back on track. he said that City Hall has been too quiet and not pushing it with the private sector since Watts left.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Speaking of innovation boulevard, Mayoral candidate Bruce Hyne was mentioning getting it back on track. he said that City Hall has been too quiet and not pushing it with the private sector since Watts left.
So you were at that candidates forum at the Civic the other night? I was and that comment by Hayne jumped out at me. I thought "innovation" development was still a go.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:58 PM

oh man the design looks dreadful. was expecting something more upscale in that lot. disappointed.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
So you were at that candidates forum at the Civic the other night? I was and that comment by Hayne jumped out at me. I thought "innovation" development was still a go.
Yes, I was there too. I was also surprised by the comment. But, it would be good news to see a push again in that field. Could explain why City Centre 3 has been off to a slow, non-existent start.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was there too. I was also surprised by the comment. But, it would be good news to see a push again in that field. Could explain why City Centre 3 has been off to a slow, non-existent start.
City Centre 3 is moving behind the scenes and expected to begin construction soon. It's a complex approvals process to get through involving many different parties, legal items, etc.

Currently at the Servicing Agreement stage: https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=14&seq=0319

Invest Surrey (economic development arm of City Hall) is very proactive in attracting business to the City right now. The development process takes time, its not a matter of stamping it approved and building it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:12 AM

I don't know if I buy what Bruce Hayne is selling unfortunately. He joined the Dianne Watts party in her last term and has towed the line without much peep under through Linda Hepner's reign.

I'm sorry if I'm just a LITTLE skeptical of his about face given Innovation Boulevard, at least from what I can see, has not stalled at all. When Dianne Watts was in power, they started on building 1. Then she left and Linda Hepner was elected in. Tower 2 has been built, and 3 is in servicing. Add to that another low-rise development next to tower 2 just completed, and a new revived proposal for the ex-Night-and-Day lands, and it seems like nothing really stalled.

Sounds a lot more like politicking to me.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Sounds a lot more like politicking to me.
From a politician during election time? The hell you say???

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:50 PM

Application is now in for Phase D - final phase.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=18&seq=0362

1,113 residential units, and 12,500 sq. ft. of retail space

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley