HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 2:55 PM

Fanshawe To Buy Market Tower

The offer is conditional still, but I expect the powers that be will move mountains if necessary to make it happen.

If it does go through, the effect that this purchase will have on the general area in multiple ways cannot be overstated.

Time for Western to step up to the plate...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 6:01 PM
Sanity merchant

Fucking right!!! This is GREAT news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this does some damage to that reputation of a cesspool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
The offer is conditional still, but I expect the powers that be will move mountains if necessary to make it happen.

If it does go through, the effect that this purchase will have on the general area in multiple ways cannot be overstated.

Time for Western to step up to the plate...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 7:36 PM

Pretty excited about this news. Having a large student population in that area instead of what's there now would change that intersection massively, one would hope.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 9:35 PM
Sanity merchant

How’s this for a lesson in downtown revitalization?

More than a decade after London city hall invested millions in core developments – Budweiser Gardens and Covent Garden Markets, to name two – Fanshawe College is mulling what could be another landscape-changing purchase.

The college has made a conditional offer to buy the Market Tower building at the southwest corner of downtown’s troubled Dundas-Richmond St. intersection – and their arrival there could completely change the public’s perception of the core.

Fanshawe is already renovating a huge building just west of Dundas-Richmond, the first part of what could become a multi-site downtown campus.

Market Tower is owned by downtown land baron Shmuel Farhi. Fanshawe officials say several conditions are attached to the offer, and the next few months will be spent sorting through them.

The building, home to a McDonald’s on the ground floor, houses several city hall offices. The Ontario Works offices are already slated to be moved, and CTV has reported the remaining city staff could be headed to another Farhi-owned property, the Bell building.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/08/10/fa...owntown-london

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 1:22 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

I love the idea of having more post-secondary institutions downtown, yet I have to wonder what Fanshawe would do with such a large building. But hey if they want to buy it I say that's just another step in the right direction.

I know there's probably another thread for it, but does anyone know how Fanshawe's renovation of the building next to market lane is progressing? Hey K85 that's a project I wouldn't mind seeing an update for, if possible!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 5:09 AM

I think this is great news for the downtown. It could really help clean up the D&R corner.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 5:13 AM
Sanity merchant

Yea, I'll probably get to it in a few days, maybe tomorrow (today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
I love the idea of having more post-secondary institutions downtown, yet I have to wonder what Fanshawe would do with such a large building. But hey if they want to buy it I say that's just another step in the right direction.

I know there's probably another thread for it, but does anyone know how Fanshawe's renovation of the building next to market lane is progressing? Hey K85 that's a project I wouldn't mind seeing an update for, if possible!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 5:01 PM
User Registered

Western might one day acquire London City Hall if they decide to build a new city hall or buy/rent space in other buildings.

More good news for Dundas and Richmond. This, combined with rerouting the buses off Dundas will help make the area a proper core for London.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 3:55 AM
Londoner

Yes!!!! U are all right on this is going to help downtown in more then one way!!! One thing don't forget about the parking???

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:10 AM
Sanity merchant

Took these today

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:16 AM

What the hell are they doing with the old bank tower?

As for Market Tower, this is fantastic news and will get rid of some of the city welfare offices and bring a solid student population and creative element. Even better if some of the tenants move over to fill up office space at the Bell Centre.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:30 AM
Sanity merchant

"Centre for Digital and Performance Arts — housed in a renovated building just a few doors west of Dundas-Richmond — opens to an estimated 400 students in October"

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

good news I guess.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:31 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Wow, that's looking pretty good to me! Thanks for the update K85!

Along with the renovated Market Lane, and now the possibility of Market Tower also becoming part of Fanshawe, this could actually become a nice part of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:39 AM

Well, there goes that. I wonder what happened? Farhi playing hardball?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I've heard on numerous occasions (from people having first-hand contact) that Farhi is a colossal asshole.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:23 PM
Sanity merchant

Will verify, he's a colossal asshole. Perhaps a large douche nozzle too, though that it reserved for the worst of the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I've heard on numerous occasions (from people having first-hand contact) that Farhi is a colossal asshole.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 8:41 PM

Noticed that Market Tower is mostly vacant now after City Social Services have moved out. Any chance Farhi sells this to Fanshawe or Westen in the next few years?

He also owns the old Royal Bank tower next door which is also mostly vacant.

Unlikely that any of the fast growing High Tech companies will want to lease space here unless there is a drastic offer on the table or a different landlord.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the tower is so vacant that they have cordoned-off the non-working escalators. Sad.

Farhi has no pride. How the hell does this turkey make money with his asinine ways?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:09 PM
Sanity merchant

He nipples and dimes people.

Nickles and boobs people.

Money. He makes money off leases, which sadly is enough it seems for him to stay afloat

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues