HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 2:13 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
looks like your taking some heat from the anti-hipster crowd,give the public what they want....... chicks with big boobs
I see you scrolled down. So thats what they want. No wonder they are disappointed.

My Book

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 5:08 PM
3rd Coast King

Kayla/Buster - 100 strangers: 08/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Everyone meet Kayla/Buster.

On Thursday July 7th 2011 I attended my very last class, and I mean VERY LAST class, for my college work towards my bachelors degree in Finance degree! So I decided I was very much entitled to much needed cold beer and some time to go take photos. So I headed down the street towards Molly's Pub snapping shots with my Sigma 70-210 f2.8 APO along the way.

So I'm heading down the street and don't even make it a whole block before I bump into someone. Like I said before, "Sometimes this project is too easy for me."

I run into Kayla and her friend Kelly. Kayla had stopped me to see if she could bum a lighter to light a smoke. So having a lighter ready at hand I tell her yes. Then I ask if she would like to participate in my project and she say yes. After she said yes she asked what my project actually was. So I'm already surprised at her willingness because most people I have to explain the project to first before they agree. But I tell her about the stranger project and she thought it was cool.

First question was, "Whats your name?" Which she replied was Buster. Not looking much like a Buster I ask it if her real name. So she tells me her real name is Kayla. So of course I had to ask, "Where did Buster come from?" Apparently it was a nickname from her days of wrestling. She said she was good too. I would imagine with a nickname like Buster she'd have a forte at slamming people on the mat.

So then I ask about her friend Kelly and their relation. Kayla said they were just friends. And I talked to both of them for a minute. They had just got into town. Kayla was originally from Beaumont and her friend Kelly is a Houston native but has lived all over. Literally too many places to name. They said they were just on an adventure roaming downtown. I mentioned to them that if they were hungry they should go hit up the new Niko Niko's stand in the park a block away because they make awesome gyros. Then Kelly tells me that typically when he would come downtown he would hit up the Irish pub down the street. I laugh because that was exactly where I was heading at the moment. What can I say except great minds think alike.

Thank you Kayla and Kelly. You're both great people and it was nice to meet you.

Some specs on the picture. Taken with my Sony Alpha 200 and Sigma 70-210 f2.8 APO with postprocessing in photoshop CS4. I also cropped the original because I didnt like all the open space.

This picture is #08in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

Kayla First Take by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Kayla and Kelly by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

kayla fullframe by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 3:56 AM
So very tired...

This is kick-ass dude, keep it up...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 4:14 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
This is kick-ass dude, keep it up...
Thanks. Glad you dig it. So far its been lots of fun.

My Book

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 1:31 PM

Just realized I have fallen behind on following your project. Probably because I was derailed by my trip to Missouri. Really, this is fascinating. Kayla was a great subject and you did a fantastic job with her photographs. The story along with the pictures makes it even more rewarding for me. As an ex-smoker, I must admit to missing the social aspect of smoking. So many great conversations have been started on street corners, bars, bus stops, etc. due to the need of a light. Your project is a reminder of how we need that interaction.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 2:12 PM
3rd Coast King

Its okay, I'm kinda behind on the project anyway. Since I graduated I have not traveling into town. Not that I really want to go wander around with as hot as it has been down here lately. So i havent got any new subjects.

But the main focus of the project is to capture those moments of slight interaction and recognize them as being slightly greater then what we normally would give them credit for.

My Book

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 1:31 PM
3rd Coast King

L.A / Alexander - 100 Strangers: 09/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

I met LA walking down Main street. It was hot and I was sweating buckets. I mean like 110 degrees of HOT! You have to love Houston to even want to walk out of your front door.

But I had been walking around for a while not trying to find anyone on a day like this. The streets were pretty sparse to begin with. As I'm heading back to the car this guy walks up on me and asks to bum a smoke. He seemed nice and was real polite so I bummed him a smoke in exchange for a picture. He had no problems with that at all. So I snapped this shoot real quick and we keep walking.

On the way he tells me some about himself. I found out he was from Louisiana and had moved down here after hurricane Rita. Apparently he had been in and out of jail a few times. I didnt ask for what.

He also told me a bit of a story about some guy that worked at Jason's deli holding out on him and not hooking him up with a sandwich. He said he didnt care that the guy wouldnt give him food anymore but he didnt appreciate the guy wasting all his time when he is just trying to get something to eat. I can respect that. So thats why he was walking down Main. He was heading to the Salvation Army shelter to go get a meal. He told me some other stuff too but I had a hard time understand half of what he said.

So after two blocks we parted ways. Cool guy I wish him the best.

This picture is #09 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

On a side note. Check out my first book!

www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2408365

Alternate edit. Just changed the tones and took out the yellow bag. I think it came out nice.

la / alexander CP by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:41 PM
3rd Coast King

Have two new strangers coming up soon. Just have to type up the stories.

My Book

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:01 PM
3rd Coast King

Stranger 10

Joe - 100 Strangers: 10/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

This is stranger number 10 Joe.

Anyone that has been following my project has probably seen that I have been pretty inactive on the stranger hunt for a while now. Last person I met was back in July. The extreme heat wave and grueling 100 degree days have made street photography a nightmare. I barely wanted to leave my house much less walk in direct sunlight packing a bag full of metal lens.

But eventually all waves come to a break and in Houston the fall has finally started to emerge. Its still probably hot by most peoples standards but like heaven to a Texan eager to get out on the street. So when an opening in my schedule made it self available I decided to go meet up with some other photography friends to go shoot some pictures. We met up at a dive bar in Montrose called Catbirds. Nice place with cheap beer.

So we head out and as I'm walking down the street I see that the antique store across the street has little metal sculptures of flying pigs painted all kinds of crazy colors. So instantly I get an idea for a photo and head across the street. After I got the right shot of the little pig sculpture I look up and see these three guys walking down the street. The one closest to me was Joe and I thought his shirt was cool, it says Houston. So I'm thinking what would be cooler then to get a picture of this guy rocking the awesome Houston tee. Plus he was sporting some wood frame raybans too.

So I stop him and ask him where he got his shirt. He told me it was a shop in rice village. Then I ask if I can take his picture for the project. He was cool and says yeah. His friend sports the RunDMC shirt started messing with me saying, "What....I'm not cool enough for you to take my picture?" So I promised to get a shot of all of them together.

As Joe was posing for his picture he told me that him and his friends were about to open their own T-shirt printing business in town. So I told him about one of my friends that is also a printer in town. They had never met. But then I showed him the pictures from the 100 Stranger project on my iPhone. Turns out him and his friends knew stranger number 2 Diem in some relation. I think it was like a cousins friend or something. But this is one of the reasons I love this project. I meet random people on opposite sides of town and they turn out to know each other. The whole thing just comes back full circle. I just love it. I don't know if I mentioned this before but stranger number 7 Sarah turned out to be my friend Brandy's cousin.

Picture was taken with my Sony A200 and Minolta 50mm F1.7. Edited with Photoshop CS4.

This picture is #10 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

My 100 Strangers Set

A group picture

bboy pose cross by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
The flying pig

flying pig by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:36 PM

A good one, Joe. Cool that he is sporting a Houston T-shirt. I have never heard of wood-frame glasses. Guess I need to get out more.

I know this is showing my age, but why do young men make those odd hand gestures?

Love the piggy!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 3:23 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
A good one, Joe. Cool that he is sporting a Houston T-shirt. I have never heard of wood-frame glasses. Guess I need to get out more.

I know this is showing my age, but why do young men make those odd hand gestures?

Love the piggy!
The shirt was what grabbed me the most. I found out about his glasses because his friends were ragging on him about them.

Dont have an answer for the hand gestures. Sorry.

And yes, the piggy rocks!!!

My Book

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 5:40 PM
3rd Coast King

Lizzy - 11/100: 100 strangers

Lizzy - 11/100: 100 Strangers by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

This is stranger 11/100 - Lizzy

After meeting stranger 10 Joe my friends and i continued to roam around Montrose taking some pictures. We wandered into the neighborhood behind the commercial front on Westhemier and I was surprised by how quiet it was back there. It was really peaceful.

Eventually we headed back to Catbird's to go get another beer and we had parked there. When I walked up I saw Lizzy sitting out front having a glass of red wine. So I walked up to her and asked if I could take her picture she said yes. While I was taking the first couple pictures she asked if they were for anything or if she should pose. My friend James just told her to relax and that most of the time I produced pleasing results. Then I told her about the project and some of the ideals behind it. She thought it was pretty cool.

I asked her what brought her to catbirds. She said she was a waitress there and had stopped by on her day off to come have a drink. Then she asked if she could see the pictures I had been out taking that day. I happily agreed and showed her how to work the dial to flip through the images. I have no idea what she thought of my work but she didnt seem discouraged like it was horrible and I was going to take a bad picture of her. I showed her the 100 stranger set on Flickr too. I did see her eyes light up just a bit when she saw the finished product as opposed to the raw file.

After that we ordered another beer and I started to review some of the pictures. I wasn't happy with the first two I got of her and asked if she minded posing in a different spot with some better light. She agreed which is how I got this shot here. She said she liked this one better and liked the bokeh from the passing cars.

Picture taken with my Sony Alpha 200 and Minolta 50mm f1.7. Post processing done with Photoshop CS4 and Neat Image.

This picture is #11 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

My 100 Strangers Set

Lizzy: Stranger 11 alternate shot first take by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Lizzy: Stranger 11 alternate shot second take by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Lizzy: Stranger 11 alternate shot third take by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:37 AM
It could be worse!

Glad to see you starting up this project again, Joe. And that last shot is sweet.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 9:11 AM

Yeah super great work on this, I look forward to more

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 4:31 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipani View Post
Glad to see you starting up this project again, Joe. And that last shot is sweet.
Thanks. I really like this project. Lots of fun and I meet lots of interesting people. I like the last shot but wish it had came out a bit sharper but it was starting to get dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Yeah super great work on this, I look forward to more
The weather is getting better so I hope I can get out more to keep it going.

My Book

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:41 PM

I hope Lizzy likes that picture, because it is fantastic.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 6:11 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
I hope Lizzy likes that picture, because it is fantastic.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure she will. She saw the raw file and thought it was cool.

My Book

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:31 PM
3rd Coast King

Roger - 100 Strangers: 12/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

This is Roger.

Some friends and I had been out taking photos of downtown and decided to stop by Niko Niko's for some Greek food at Market Square Park. When we were about to leave I spotted Roger with his blue sunglasses.

He was cool with me taking his picture and asked what it was for so I told him about the project. He seemed to think it was kinda cool and told me about his recent trip to San Francisco. He told me there was lots of good people watching to be had there. He also told me him and his friends stayed over by the museum district and had been out biking to enjoy the nice weather. It was indeed a nice day to be out.

This is Roger stranger 12 out of 100 in my 100 stranger project.

Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

www.100strangers.com

roger's possy by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Roger's possy again by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 10:18 PM

Great work...love the colouring.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 2:35 AM
3rd Coast King

Red face

Tynan - 100 Strangers: 13/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

It's been quite a while since I posted anything for the project but I have been wanting to get back in the groove.

Meet Tynan.

I actually met Tynan through a photography forum I post on occasionally. She had a wedding coming up and had made a post looking for a second shooter to come out and help. So I sent her a message and here we are having our first business meeting. I had coffee. She had nothing. She was all business, lol.

Seriously she was really nice. We talked business for a while about the shoot we were going to do then just some basic photog chatting. We both exchanged details about gear and techniques. I told her about the Brenizer method.

Also got the usual gab about oh dont take my picture because I'm not photogenic. I of course dismiss this and take a snap, make a few adjustments and then we have this here. Yall let her know what you think

Here is a link to her site:

tynanphotography.com

Camera specs:

Sony Alpha 200 with Minolta 28mm f2.8

f2.8 1/20 iso400

It feels good to be back in the project.

This is Tynan stranger 13 out of 100 in my 100 stranger project.

Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the

100 Strangers Flickr Group

www.100strangers.com

Coffee while I wait by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography