HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:42 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Creosote Banks
Crowbow
Moonalta
Weste Ende
ACADia
Expoville
M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"
Pumphouse Meadows
Lower Lower Scarboro
Win

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:44 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

How about Shelbyville and Springfield for the west and east villages?

We can even plant a lemon tree right between the two in the CBD somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:55 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Creosote Banks
Crowbow
Moonalta
Weste Ende
ACADia
Expoville
M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"
Pumphouse Meadows
Lower Lower Scarboro
All winners. Crowbow is great. Connotations with the worst interchange in Calgary abound. Your creativity in coming up with ridiculous community names is far beyond mine.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Fair-ly smart
Calgary praised for dropping Expo bid against Edmonton and avoiding huge debt

By MICHAEL PLATT

CALGARY -- Expo 2017 is dead -- long live the West Village.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/albe...14706-sun.html
He gets a lot of criticism here (and rightly so in a lot of cases), but this is a decent article by Platt. I don't think the Expo 2017 bid was ever realistic, and I don't think any of us took it seriously. This article manages to hit the mark even though it includes a quote from CTP's Scott Hennig, who usually makes me roll my eyes.

I'd still like to see an Expo in Calgary sometime. This one just wasn't workable.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 10:16 PM

Unrelated Request

Hello Riise,

Your private mailbox is full and I am very interested in your your much-lauded Urban Planning project, of 2007, on the 16th ave North Urban Corridor.

The link to your project (http://16corridor.com/) have, unsurprisingly, gone dead and so I was wondering if you might still have a copy you'd be willing to share?

Please contact me via this forum, or direct at:
michael.wilkison@calgary.ca

Thank you for your time,

MJW

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 10:29 PM

^Welcome to the forum "audit in the details."

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 2:04 AM

My only objection to the article is his statement that Calgary will finally have a waterfront worth visiting. It already does!!! Anyway, the west village idea looks promising.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
All winners. Crowbow is great. Connotations with the worst interchange in Calgary abound. Your creativity in coming up with ridiculous community names is far beyond mine.
I nominate Bronco-Ville !

A perfect combination of fake cowboyism & faux sophistiqué

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 6:25 AM

Does anyone know what was there before Pumphouse Theatre, the car dealerships, and Greyhound? I vaguely remember it as industrial, but not as industrialized as the brewery or refinery that used to be in Inglewood.

Who gets to spend the money to remove the gunk left in the ground after 125+ years of use?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 6:44 AM

I believe some sort of logging/forestry use at one point which was the big source of contamination (creosote?) along the one stretch. This came up in another thread not too long ago and someone dug up some articles about it. And likely it will be the city who gets to spend the money to clean it up. The worst site from what I recall is the Renfrew Chrysler site

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 6:55 AM

^I believe it was a full on creosote plant.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 7:02 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Here's a now and then photo, current vs 1949

I believe the factory looking thing where 14th st ends was a city incinerator was it not?

here's a 19-teens photo of a "West end incinerator" at 9th ave and 15th st

torn down in 1953 for the 14th st bridge.. so about 40 yrs of incinerating + whatever else.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 7:26 AM

Thanks for digging that up.

And actually looking at the map now the issue of multiple landowners doesn't seem as bad as we made it out to be yesterday, I'd guess maybe a dozen at most (the 4 car dealerships, greyhound, pumphouse theatre and maybe a couple others along the CPR right of way). And I'd expect the pumphouse theatre is the only one that the city wouldn't need to buy out as its a protected heritage site and likely would be a focus point in the redevelopment anyways (I'm unclear if the city owns the theatre site or the society who runs the theatre does... since it is a former city building either is possible I guess)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 8:24 AM

Would someone explain why everything ends (borders) the CP tracks? Are the CP tracks the only thing stopping this (West Village) from extending further south of the tracks? I'm just courious about this. It seems it's more of a phsycollogical barrier than a phisical one. Having said all that, West Village and the area south, never seem to get the attention that East Village and Rail Lands get. IMO

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
Would someone explain why everything ends (borders) the CP tracks? Are the CP tracks the only thing stopping this (West Village) from extending further south of the tracks? I'm just courious about this. It seems it's more of a phsycollogical barrier than a phisical one. Having said all that, West Village and the area south, never seem to get the attention that East Village and Rail Lands get. IMO
Well its a pretty physical barrier as well as there are zero crossing points within the West Village. But really the area south of there is part of an established community already, and one that I doubt would take too lightly to having part of it ripped from themselves to be lumped into a new community. Technically the West Village area itself has been considered part of their community to start with and from what they were saying on Global last night it seems they and a number of members of council were a bit surprised to see whats happening as this seems to have slide in under the new ARP but up until this week was never publicly called a separate area

Last edited by mersar; Nov 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 2:51 PM
Round Head

Oh for FUCK'S sake!!!!

Calgary's West Village blueprint features designer bridge

Pedestrian link urged west of 14th Street S.W.

By Jason Markusoff, Calgary HeraldNovember 4, 2009 7:22 AM

Design concept of the $24.5-million Peace Bridge in Calgary.Photograph by: Courtesy, Santiago Calatrava, Calgary HeraldCALGARY - The concept map for the West Village features what is becoming a mainstay in urban renewal plans for Calgary: an architecturally striking pedestrian bridge.

The ultramodern blueprint suggests a twin-arch Bow River crossing between 14th Street and Crowchild Trail S.W., although design and construction might not occur for another two decades, or more.

It would be a successor to Santiago Calatrava's red helix footbridge about 12 blocks downstream. About 15 blocks east of that will be another designer crossing that adds spark to East Village and St. Patrick's Island redevelopment plans.

And outside the core, there are long-range plans for a pedestrian link as part of Bowness Park's renovation, which would span the Bow to Baker Park.

There's at least one other pedestrian bridge proposed, spanning the Elbow River between Fort Calgary and the Deane House.

East Village and West Village bridges may not be needed now for the parks and pathways, but wait until there are thousands of new residents and workers there, said Chris Ollenberger of Calgary Municipal Land Corp., which is planning the St. Patrick's Island and Elbow bridges.

"You do really want to make those convenient pedestrian connections to obvious gathering places or continuations of pathways that might not have had the traffic volumes to warrant it before," he said, "but as redevelopment occurs, the traffic volumes will definitely be there."

The public furor over the city's $24.5-million Peace Bridge by Calatrava has spilled over into anger at the mere suggestion of more elaborate river crossings for pedestrians and cyclists.

"Oh no, looks like there is another expensive designer bridge planned for West Village," a reader commented on calgaryherald.com.

"What, is the city gonna go and hire another European hack to design it!!? This is outrageous."

Ald. Bob Hawkesworth said council has chosen to spend on infrastructure for foot-powered transportation because it's much cheaper than roads, and helps clear up more street space for drivers.

"The public subsidy for them to take a car or the public subsidy for them to take the bus is significantly higher than the public subsidy for them to walk or take a bicycle," he said.

"Unless you understand that, none of this investment in bridges makes any sense."

Construction of the steelwork for Calatrava's Peace Bridge is slated to begin by year's end.

For the St. Patrick's Island Bridge design competition, Ollenberger plans to announce the judges' three finalists from among 33 design entries.

The bridge in East Village, as well at the future West Village span, will be paid for through a special fiscal scheme that recoups costs from land sales and property taxes in those districts.

In addition to the river crossings, the city also generates a list every three years of top-priority pedestrian overpasses needed over roadways, said Don Mulligan, director of transportation planning. The latest span is over McKnight Boulevard at 44th Street N.E.

jmarkusoff@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...ml#PostComment

====================

I didn't know journalists now cherry pick quotes from anonymous reader comments from a story the day before counted as journalism these days. Maybe Markusoff made the comments himself so he could quote the anonymous comment the next day? We'll never know.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:01 PM

Wow, i was kidding yesterday about just that fact....didn't the think the retards would actually jump on it though.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:12 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I saw the article about an hour ago Wooster, but I just didn't have the heart to post it.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFKKKKKKKKKKK!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:50 PM

Re: "West Village" - as always, I am happy to see and supportive of City efforts to revitalize underutilized areas, particularly in and around downtown. However, I just hope they move on it a little faster than they did with Bridges and EV - they completely missed the market on both the 2nd phase of Bridges and on EV. For those who say "there's no rush" - True, to an extent. But urbanists living in Calgary can't be expected to wait 20 years for the various visions of downtown neighborhoods to start becoming reality, without casting frequent envious glances to cities where this stuff is happening faster, and is further along to begin with.

And, agree with the name. Let's ditch generic names that are half-hearted attempts to create New York-like images and stick with names that are historically relevant to this region.

Re: Pedestrian bridges - don't sweat it, once the Calatrava bridge is complete people will learn to appreciate it. And at least they gave Hawkesworth the last word - very astute comment, pedestrian infrastructure is much more cost-effective than vehicular.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:22 PM
The City That Moves

I don't really get why the media's so-called fiscal conservatives (Connelly, McIver, Urquhart and Chabot) are given a pass so to speak by the media. Connelly and McIver voted against withdrawing from the Expo competition, even though they knew defict could add up to $1.5 billion that would need to be funded by taxpayers.

Dianne-Colley Urquhart in the past has been lobbying to assess the feasibility of the City of Calgary buying a golf course from a private developer. Or Ric McIver, who set in act a motion to continue the Race City lease when the director of waste and recycling services has stated that "the expansion is critical to ensure that we can continue to address the waste management needs for Calgary.” I assume that an alternative design will have a higher cost involved in waste management or creation of an environmental hazard.

Chabot has been a champion against the parking fee at LRT stations, but doesn't seem to care about the cost associated with running these parking facilities.

It's not that I disagree that these individuals (Chabot, Connelly, Urquhart and McIver) should not pursue interests that they feel are important to their constituents, but I disagree with the Calgary Herald and Sun as labeling them as more fiscally conservative compared to their peers. To me, it appears that these four aldermen\women have more elements of populism in their policy ideals, but that the media newspapers have given them a false shield of so-called fiscal conservativism.

I like the idea that the West Village will likely use a CRL as it is one way to redress populism. I think once people know more about tax incremental financing and community revitalization levies that they will be less likely to take issue with the bridge if they know they are being self-funded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues