HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 3:41 AM
菠蘿油

I remember going to the Good Earth that was next to the art gallery on 8th Ave. downtown. It closed a few years ago, which wasn't much of a surprise because it was very quiet outside of lunch hour. What's the Lougheed one like?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 5:11 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
David Parker December 3:

...Connie Chan, Good Earth's director of marketing, says the Lougheed Building shop is selling Nicaraguan Los Milagros coffee. But it won't last long as the company could only get 200 pounds of the Cup of Excellence award winner from the small amount available for auction. Premier quality and very rare, the coffee was grown by a small farmer on his five-hectare plantation. Hurry down.
The Good Earth on 7th & 7th is selling this blend as well.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 5:48 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

All Good Earths have it. I was on 11 St yesterday and they got a new batch of beans, these with a Nov 29 roast date.

Look for regular offers of COE beans at Good Earth.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 11:57 PM
Reach for the heavens

I never knew coffee was so involved until this thread came up. I'm grateful for the free knowledge though.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I never knew coffee was so involved until this thread came up. I'm grateful for the free knowledge though.
it's serious business.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 5:10 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
it's serious business.
Second most-traded commodity in the world, after oil.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 5:32 PM

Just ask anybody that's been lucky enough to buy into a Tim's franchise what the real "black gold" is... they won't say oil...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:29 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
Just ask anybody that's been lucky enough to buy into a Tim's franchise what the real "black gold" is... they won't say oil...
...and comparing the swill they sell at TH to petroleum is actually pretty apt.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 12:40 AM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
...and comparing the swill they sell at TH to petroleum is actually pretty apt.
Hey Tim Horton's isn't that bad. While I agree, it isn't the coffee you'd find at your high end places, but I like a cup of Tim Hortons now and then. It's a different drink altogether. Kind of like comparing coffee to hot chocolate

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:31 AM
Calgreedian

What are people's thoughts on the best place to get a quick lunch at noon downtown? I don't want to sit down for a "real" meal (i.e. > 45 min) I just want something relatively quick and good, but interesting, and without the expectation that I should be dining with someone else. Please keep your ideas to locations north of 13th Ave SW, south of the Bow river, east of 10th street SW, and west of 2nd st SE.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:50 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

ScottFC-

Mirchi for fantastic Indian, 12th Ave/8 St south of Safeway
The Holy Grille for good burgers, grilled sandwiches, and really amazing fries, 10th Ave across from MEC
Some nice Curries (Malaysian) among less-good stuff at the various locations of Spice Cafe incl 11th Ave just west of Broken City
Have heard great things about Flatlands Cafe, 11th Ave and 5th St, next to Soba Ten, which also has a lunch buffet now so there's an option too.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:03 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Hate to toot my own horn, but aside from some minor errors (moved here in 2000, not 2002), am really happy with this piece about me in today's Swerve.

The cusp of a third-wave coffee insurgency
The Manzo, the myth, the legend... A portrait of the chowhound-coffee geek-sociologist-urbanist-blogger-flâneur as a full-blown Calgarian.

Chris Koentges
Calgary Herald

Friday, December 07, 2007

For a number of years, John Manzo was a ghost to me. Something between a flâneur and the graffiti artist Banksys. He left a trail of secret curry houses and sushi joints back when Chowhound.com's "Canada board" was just a bunch of threads about Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. That was the winter of 2003, and there suddenly seemed to be more of these secret little joints than Calgary had ever had. You'd pop into some new Vietnamese sub place Manzo discovered and end up eyeing the other customers between heavenly bites. Which one was he?

I remember a packed Film Fest party in Eau Claire. I don't remember the movie we saw, though I can vividly picture a guy at our table afterwards. He talked about currwurst in Germany. He mentioned

Uptown Sushi--more than once. And then he disappeared.

"Who was that?" I asked our mutual friend.

"John," she said.

I swallowed hard.

"Manzo?"

Another woman we hadn't been talking to suddenly turned around. "That was John Manzo?"

My friend paused. Confused. "Umm... yeah. That was John Manzo."

He was just under six feet, and had the build of someone who conducted his exploration by foot--yet whose goal was some unfathomable unending feast. He had a beard and glasses. I began haunting his favourite places with more regularity, hoping to catch him in the act. Uptown. The Coup. Tiffin's. What would I tell him, exactly? You're not alone? I'm onto you, pal? Umm...thank you?

There were other Calgary hounds with names like Yen and Gobstopper, who were collectively more poignant. On the one hand, it was that Manzo treated it like an adventure. And there was something curious about his determined defense of Calgary cuisine--Calgary culture. He had obviously lived in other cities. He was clearly very educated. Yet his encounters with the city seemed almost delusional. Blissful. He had an ability to turn this seemingly bland place into anything he wanted. This ability lies at the heart of chowhounding--of being an urbanist in a place like this--it's knowing there is as much adventure in a strip mall as The Museums of Modern Art. You need know only how to unlock it.

Manzo came to Calgary in November 2002, when he joined the U of C's sociology department. Before that he was in Toronto. And before that, he taught at The University of South Alabama in Mobile. There was a place called Carpe Diem across the street that roasted its own beans and served real espresso. That was the introduction. He arrived in Toronto during the 1996 Starbucks invasion. Back then, Starbucks and Second Cup were a revelation. They made all these espresso-based drinks with semi-trained baristas on reasonable quality machines. The era came to be known as coffee's "second wave." (Baristas describe the first as "more a caffeine and heat delivery mechanism than anything with an enjoyable flavour.")

Before Manzo moved to Calgary, he investigated the eating and coffee. He found Beano, Higher Ground and Joshua Tree. Intriguing independents. He found Calgary was full of surprises.

During the 2001 Remembrance Day Reading Week, Manzo travelled to Vancouver. He stayed across the street from a place called Caffè Artigiano. "I'll never forget the date," he told me. "Everything came to a crash."

Artigiano had begun to create what's known as third-wave coffee. "Third wave" is a bloated way of saying: let us now consume coffee as if it were fine wine. More profoundly than wine, in fact, because now coffee will be a perfect collaboration through the chain. There will be virtuoso growers from all over the world. Importers building "direct trade" relationships, above and beyond fair trade. There will be someone who can masterfully blend all the different terroirs. Someone who can roast it. A café with machines capable of unleashing the blend. And ultimately, a barista who could unlock the potential in all of it.

Manzo would go back to Artigiano for cappuccino. It wasn't made with foam, but silk. And the silk was poured in the pattern of a perfect rosetta. At that moment, the renowned Calgary Chowhound1 added Coffeegeek2 to his repertoire of identities.

I met Manzo at 9:30 on a Friday morning. We'd initially planned a field trip to Phil & Sebastian, which is a weekly pilgrimage for Manzo, but he sent me an e-mail that read: "There's no way to talk to a coffeegeek without seeing his home setup." I could describe it for you, but better you just watch the video on his blog3.

As we talked that morning, he referred to the trinity: Bumpy's, which has replaced Big Mountain on 11th Street; Java Jamboree with its Synesso Syncra machine (supposedly just the second in Canada); and P&S, with its twee subtext and $11,000 Clover machine out at Curry Barracks--and its long, never-ending line of customers.

So many customers that P&S is supposed to open a second location downtown. So is Jamboree. Artigiano is rumoured to have three in the works. Over the summer, Janice Beaton took over Beano, which is suddenly on the cusp. And Good Earth Café draws nearer each week. Calgary stands to have more than a dozen bona fide third-wave inner-city coffee shops by this time next year. By comparison, Manzo told me, New York currently has two. Of course, if we had a nickel for every opening that never happened. But holy crap.

I don't suggest that Manzo is the reason for any of this. I can't honestly say what he represents. Perhaps he's just an unrelenting voice in a subculture that has been short on such local voices. Because, more than he is a chowhound or coffee geek or university professor, he is--for me--a Calgarian. In most big cities, he'd be quite ordinary. But here he stands out. "I loved Toronto," he told me. "Toronto didn't love me." A gay man who likes

coffee, gelato and cheap sushi--who'd have thought Calgary would end up loving him back?

And as much as I dislike the expression--and it will surely offend his academic sensibilities--I'm going to go out on a limb and call Manzo a third-wave citizen. Someone who has been to enough places to know what makes a city a city. They know what a city ought to be constructed of.

They know how to discover its character. Such citizens once seemed rare and precious here. But in the last month of 2007, Calgary feels not just like a city brimming with Manzos who know how to unlock the true potential of here, but a place that, in return, can unlock the true potential of our Manzos.

Notes: 1. chowhound.com/boards/57 2. coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/canadawest 3. jfmanzo.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/espresso-esperimentation-with-my-le va

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:26 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Brilliant stuff! Ha, John Manzo! I totally know who you are now!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:43 PM
not a NIMBY

We have a furry celebrity in our midst! Kudos on the great article about you. I was a little surprised that you would be called a fl??neur. I had to look that word up!
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENTS

Last edited by Jimby; May 12, 2011 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 6:35 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

flaneur=one who strolls! I'd say that's the single best word for me.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 8:54 PM
Kevin Folds Five

^ You're John Manzo?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 9:00 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
^ You're John Manzo?
He's told us that before. You just weren't listening.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 9:07 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
^ You're John Manzo?
Pretty much...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 10:15 PM
Majestic

Furry for Alderman! Or how about Civic Ambassador?

Flickr

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 11:47 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Has anyone been to Jaro Blue on 17th? Just noticed it today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation