HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Why stop there. Here is a list of north temple motels that should be demolished.

- Motel 6
- Dream Inn
- The Overnighter
- Gateway Inn
- All Star Inn
- Econolodge
- Howard Johnson Express
- The Lodge
- Quality Inn

Probably one or two that I'm missing. Getting rid of the motels would be a huge first step. They are the main driving force behind the drugs and prostitution in the area. I personally agree with Future Mayor... Just rip it all down and start fresh. I know some people don't want to see the old blue boteeqe and red iguana building go.... I do. We don't need to save every building over 50 years old... They are run down, falling apart, and look like crap... We have plenty of little old brick building elsewhere. I think the base of the old biomat building would be a great place for the red iguana... They would probably get a lot more business there as well.
Drugs and prostitution aren't necessarily bad things; they exist in nice places too. Prostitution/Drugs is no reason to tear down a building, better development opportunities is a better reason. However, historicity of buildings (generally speaking) should also be taken into consideration. Furthermore, the shack that is Red Iguana is part of the appeal, IMO, and the Blue Boutique just needs a little love. Where are all these little old brick buildings you speak of? We just lost several along State Street.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 10:59 PM

If we tear down everything on north temple and start fresh the street would lose all of it's charm. I would prefer a good mix of the old and the new. There are surely some buildings that are beyond saving and building some new developments along the corridor will look great but we it is an older part of town and we don't want to tear it all down and make a giant suburban looking shopping center out of it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 8:20 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
If we tear down everything on north temple and start fresh the street would lose all of it's charm. I would prefer a good mix of the old and the new. There are surely some buildings that are beyond saving and building some new developments along the corridor will look great but we it is an older part of town and we don't want to tear it all down and make a giant suburban looking shopping center out of it.
Other then the fair park... North temple has no charm

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 2:56 PM

But it could, if redeveloped properly

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 3:31 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Honestly there really isn't much uniqueness on N. Temple, but I do agree that attempting to mix some old with some new would be prefered. I am going to try to take a drive in the next day or two and take pictures of a few things that I think might be worthy of saving.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Especially the Allstar and Gateway Motels. I hope with the North Temple RDA power of eminent domain for the first five years of the redevelopment zone that they will use it to get rid of those two trashy places.
I think it would take a LOT for the RDA to go through the effort of eminent domain. It's a public/political nightmare, and the RDA took some big PR hits the last time they did it (Grand America, I think)... especially in Utah, where property owner's rights are second only to second amendment rights.

On this topic: I like the motel right next to the Red Iguana. I think it could be renovated to be kitschy, mid-century cool (especially the children's area). SLC needs to save some of that googie style where it can.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 5:49 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Quote:
What exactly is charming about north temple?

There are about 7-8 sleezy motells that are all populer spots for sex with prostitutes and drug deals. Nothing in the world other then ripping the places down is going to change this.

There are a bunch of run down fast food chain building from the 60's - 80's many of witch have been converted in to D grade Mexican food places.

There is the 80's 90's mini strip mall area (viva & former block busters area). That block should be ripped down and reoriented so that it all faces north temple.

There is the radio shack / dollar center area.... That is about as charming as a piece of dog crap... Someone should step on the whole block and scrape it off their shoe.

There is the blue botequ area. It's really just the one building with a house next to it that looks out of place. I'm sure the little brick building was nice at some point but it's been painted and stuckoed over so much it just isn't worth the hassle. I would rather see it ripped down and have some brick retale with residential above put in its place.

Then there is all of the empty land, trailer parks, and old car washes further west.

North temple is a slum... Once you eliminate all the crap there isn't much left.

There are a few thing that could be saved.

The wonderbread building is one that is savable. The brick is still in very nice condition and would clean up nicely. They just need to pull the aluminum sign tower thing that hasn't been painted in 30 years down and do a little work.

I would like to see the classic der wiener schnitzel building saved and restored... There are not a lot of of that style of building that the chain still operates... I think it could have some classic charm under the right conditions... Realistically they will probably want a nicer dine in place once the redevelopment kicks in though.

McDonald's actually takes really good care of their property.. I kind of hope they leave the classic style building... But they are on a major building renovation spree.

The fair park obviously does not need to be ripped down... In fact the brick stables on north temple are the one thing I would fight to save.

Red Iguana I don't personally like but if they kept the front part and ripped down all the house crap in the back and just extended it back in a normal way... I would be ok with it.

Seriously though. North temple is a slum.. There is not anything charming about it... There are maybe 3-4 charming buildings on the whole thing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 8:47 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
On this topic: I like the motel right next to the Red Iguana. I think it could be renovated to be kitschy, mid-century cool (especially the children's area). SLC needs to save some of that googie style where it can.
That is the main one I had in mind for that type of revamping.

Quote:
Seriously though. North temple is a slum.. There is not anything charming about it... There are maybe 3-4 charming buildings on the whole thing.
They by all means we should save at least those 3-4 buildings, shouldn't we? As for the hotels, they aren't all dens of iniquity. The econo-lodge right next to I-15 is a decent motel, it's not fancy, but I wouldn't feel like I was risking my life if I had to stay there, the Quality Inn on Redwood isn't pretty and the landscaping has gone to hell during construction, but it doesn't HAVE TO come down.

As for Red Iquana, I would personally be pissed if they changed anything about it.

I hate to break it to myself and everyone else, but a large amount of N. Temple is going to continue to be a pile of crap for many many years to come. The blocks that are not adjacent to stations will very likely remain with only a few small improvements for an even longer time. Trax main line has been operating since December of 1999 and Fireclay at 45th and the area north of 39th are the furthest along and they or nowhere near a complete TOD nearly 13 years later.

So while we can wish and dream for N. Temple to have a magical renaissance over the next 10 years, I don't see the city's N. Temple vision coming to fruition for at least 20-30 years.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 6:55 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know if the abandoned burger joint at about 45E 200S will ever be ripped down?

I don't remember what it was called at this point. But I remember attending a first night out thing at the Gallivan Center back in the early - mid 1990's. it seemed nice back then.. It seems like we ate there that night... But wow! The place looks like its been abandoned for years. I some how doubt that the building will ever be used again... It's probably time for it to go.... It's a huge eyesore

BTW does anyone remember what that place was called... It's been driving me nuts.

Last edited by ajiuO; Aug 8, 2012 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 7:36 AM
Lurker

I don't ever remember seeing that place open. After all, I was born in the nineties. I'd love to see it replaced with something tall... or alive for that matter.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if the abandoned burger joint at about 45E 200S will ever be ripped down?

I don't remember what it was called at this point. But I remember attending a first night out thing at the Gallivan Center back in the early - mid 1990's. it seemed nice back then.. It seems like we ate there that night... But wow! The place looks like its been abandoned for years. I some how doubt that the building will ever be used again... It's probably time for it to go.... It's a huge eyesore

BTW does anyone remember what that place was called... It's been driving me nuts.
When I worked in the Tribune Building (1991-2001, off and on) it went through various incarnations. If I remember right, the one that lasted the longest was "Eat a Burger." They had a great chicken cordon bleu sandwich and fries that were way too greasy, but sort of seasoned with black pepper. Weird 1950s decor and a juke box inside.

And yeah, it's time for that building to go.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 3:30 PM

I think that spot would be idea for 8-10 stories of housing. And jump-starting Regent Street's redevelopment. Then tear down the damn Carl's Jr. and build a new tallest office building.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 3:35 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I agree that would be a good spot for a residential building around 8-10 stories, maybe even up to 15, but 8-10 would closely resemble the height of the Walker Center Parking. The nice this about having a residential building in this location is that a shared parking agreement could be negotiated with either the Walker Center or the Regent St garage, and no onsite parking would need to be built. What an absolutely prime residential location that would be, with the Gallivan Center (SLC's family room) right across the street. I would love to live there.

Yes Eat-a-Burger was the original tenant and the builder of that building. There are several others around the valley that have the same design, that were also Eat-a-Burgers.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 6:03 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Yeah.. That name sounds about right... I have such a vivid memory of going in there... Just couldnt remember the name... I remember starting out at crossroads. They had some stuff going on there we made new year decorations... Then we walked down regent street and went to the top of the parking garage, then off to the galivon center for live music, ice skating and fierworks (It doesnt seem like the wells fargo building was there.. But there was some sort of construction... Could have been it.. Not sure what year it was built) but then we ended the night at eat-a-burger. Now that the malls are gone and the galivan center has changed.. I walk by there and its like the last remaining peice of a good memmory.. But its so delapidated now that it makes me sad

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West