HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:09 PM
cities|transit|croissants

"My trust is in the mercy and wisdom of a kind PROVIDENCE (Rhode Island)."

Welcome to Providence, Rhode Island. I visited last summer, on a blisteringly hot day. Here are some pictures.

It's a nice, dense, intact little city. Downtown is a solid mix of offices and interesting shops. The neighborhoods, at least those I visited in the direction of Brown University, are walkable and full.

Downtown

Of course the key thing in Providence everyone knows about is the riverfront. It's really excellently scaled; the river is about the same width as the Seine, and unlike most US cities they've lined it with sidewalks and buildings rather than grass. It needs more shops, but the scale is great.

Off the riverwalk, the center of downtown is a public square that serves double duty as plaza and the main bus hub.

On the left, a normal city bus. On the right, a limited-stop bus. It's not really BRT, but it's BRT-lite, like the LA Metro Rapid. Special branding, faster route.

The surrounding downtown streets are dense and heavy, like a good industrial revolution-era city should be. Twisty streets give off a Boston vibe (not unexpectedly).

This trip was my first time using a new camera. The focus works a little differently than my previous camera, so there are some blur issues as I learned to use the new one.

There's a little park or two.

Old Union Station.

New Union Station (sorry for blur).

State House.

College Hill neighborhood

Cross the river heading east and you're in the College Hill neighborhood.

To climb the hill towards Brown University, buses use a brief subway. It was built in 1914, originally for trolleys, and doesn't have any stations inside the tunnel. You enter here, on the downtown end...

... and emerge here, atop the hill, near Brown.

At the top, you're in the heart of the College Hill student ghetto neighborhood. It's a lot like University Way in Seattle, or University Hill in Boulder. Smaller than Cambridge.

A few blocks down, Brown University. Say hello to the Ivy League. It was summer so classes weren't in session.

Why?

The last thing I learned before leaving Providence was that Friendship is, apparently, a one-way street after all.

Last edited by Cirrus; Apr 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos