HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Maybe KPF since it looks so much like 191 N. Wacker?
According to the link for the article on the previous page, Howard Hughes is working in partner with Riverside Investment (developer of 150 N. Riverside) and that the architect will be Goettsch.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:52 PM

I would be happy with a 700'+ tower at that site.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:59 AM
you know where I'll be

Riverside is John O'Donnell, formerly an exec at Buck, who at least previously - when he was there - almost exclusively commissioned Goettsch for office design. So, at minimum wouldn't be surprised, and in fact almost might expect, the architect to have been Goettsch once Hughes partnered with Riverside. That Riverside is now in the deal gives me more confidence that this will in fact get done. However, even though I like most of Goettsch's work, I'd have been more than ok with adding another new entrant into the downtown office tower design game this cycle.....I wouldn't expect mixed use here....I'd expect max to be around 55 stories and 750'.

What's interesting is that I believe we'll have another two large office towers going up once again in close proximity (well 3 if 151 N Franklin hasn't wrapped up by then). Everything I'm hearing says there are still 3-4 large prospective tenants shopping and 2-3 of them are likely to opt for brand new trophy space - with 130 N Franklin still likely to land one of these in the very near-term and get out of the ground shortly thereafter. And then at some point following that, perhaps even later this year (or could be into early next year as well), the next most likely tower to land a tenant and launch will be the general growth redevelopment.....

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I've decided to delete information about this meeting. Apparently it's not for the public and I don't want to crash anyone's party. But I will say that if there's anyone on this forum who got an email because of your residential proximity, I implore you to go to this meeting. You can be the eyes and ears.

Last edited by BVictor1; Jan 12, 2017 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:38 AM
Chicago

675 N Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The billboards on the parking lot this proposal is for are being removed this morning. Could this actually be moving forward already?

Also, whoever maintains the first page, this 675 N Wells proposal still isn't mentioned on the first page.
January 11, 2017

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:39 AM
Chicago

3Eleven - 311 W Illinois

January 11, 2017

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:40 AM
Chicago

221 W Hubbard

January 11, 2017

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:26 AM
you know where I'll be

1411 S Michigan

Tower Crane going up for the 1411 S Michigan project.....

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:31 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Is 1326 S. Michigan still a go...? I haven't heard about it in awhile.
As far as I know, yes. The developer had been optimistic about landing a loan by now and starting construction this quarter. Insider on here in last week mentioned that project came in over budget as of a couple months ago, so perhaps going thru, or finishing up some VE right now.........if they have their ducks in a row and can break ground in the next few months, that might be advantageous for them as they'd be delivering easily ahead of One Grant Park and also I'd think they'd beat Essex as well.......

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
spyguy posted what he found back in october.

if this is in fact the active proposal for this site, then this one won't be a supertall.
Isn't there some unwritten law that all towers on that section of Wacker Dr have to be approx the same height (650'-700')? Seems like they'd just maintain the uninteresting height plateau of the street.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
I was going through the front page to remind myself about some of these projects, especially those in the South Loop area. I have some suggested changes:

Move 1411 S Michigan from Site Prep to Under Construction
Move 1136 S Wabash from Proposed to Under Construction
Move 111 S Peoria (AKA Illume) from Proposed to Under Construction (see https://buildingupchicago.com/2017/0...-caisson-work/)
Move Children's Memorial Hospital Buildings A1 and A2 to Site Prep
Add 1101 S Wabash to Site Prep (see http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/12/19...er-wabash-11th for rendering and page 315 of this thread for site prep shots)
So we are getting close to 50 U/C now..

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:50 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
Isn't there some unwritten law that all towers on that section of Wacker Dr have to be approx the same height (650'-700')?
Developers have this curious habit of wanting to maximize their profits, rather than creating an artistic composition of the skyline.

Somewhere around 50 stories, and 1 million sq ft on a quarter-block site is the sweet spot (in Chicago) that balances cost of construction, square footage lost to elevator core, time to opening, and ability to prelease to anchor tenants. If you go taller, the building gets more expensive and takes longer to deliver. Better to exit by selling to a REIT or pension fund, and move on to the next 50-story tower.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Developers have this curious habit of wanting to maximize their profits, rather than creating an artistic composition of the skyline.

Somewhere around 50 stories, and 1 million sq ft on a quarter-block site is the sweet spot (in Chicago) that balances cost of construction, square footage lost to elevator core, time to opening, and ability to prelease to anchor tenants. If you go taller, the building gets more expensive and takes longer to deliver. Better to exit by selling to a REIT or pension fund, and move on to the next 50-story tower.
Yup, and if you really look closely you will see that there are all sorts of "Generations" of buildings like this in Chicago. Every couple of decades the formula changes slightly an a whole round of buildings gets built with similar sizes and programs. This started with the first ever wave of spec construction in history (basically 1880's and 1890s Chicago school architecture). The different layers of buildings from each era are what make the skyline interesting, it's not that every building must have a totally different size and format. In fact, I quite like the plateau that has formed along Wacker, certainly a very unique street as a result.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
I was going through the front page to remind myself about some of these projects, especially those in the South Loop area. I have some suggested changes:

Move 1411 S Michigan from Site Prep to Under Construction
Move 1136 S Wabash from Proposed to Under Construction
Move 111 S Peoria (AKA Illume) from Proposed to Under Construction (see https://buildingupchicago.com/2017/0...-caisson-work/)
Move Children's Memorial Hospital Buildings A1 and A2 to Site Prep
Add 1101 S Wabash to Site Prep (see http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/12/19...er-wabash-11th for rendering and page 315 of this thread for site prep shots)

thanks for the heads up on all of those. i've made the changes to page 1, except for 1101 s wabash, does anyone have a good and up to date rendering for that one? the one on curbed isn't that good.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
thanks for the heads up on all of those. i've made the changes to page 1, except for 1101 s wabash, does anyone have a good and up to date rendering for that one? the one on curbed isn't that good.
There's this one from Sloopin

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:25 PM
you know where I'll be

1101 S Wabash

Also, it's already under construction, no (haven't they already put in the foundation steel piles for this one)?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:07 PM

Hasn't 4 East Elm been completed for a while now? I see it on page 1 but am fairly certain it's occupied. . .

Also looking at 720 North LaSalle as probably completed no???

. . .

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:28 PM
Chicago picture-taker

McHughTel? Hughtel? McHugh's Hotel has begun construction

They're twisting rebar, and digging holes and trenches. That counts as a start, right?

http://wp.me/p7uLxw-1QR

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Hasn't 4 East Elm been completed for a while now? I see it on page 1 but am fairly certain it's occupied. . .

Also looking at 720 North LaSalle as probably completed no???

. . .
Maybe there could be a 'Recently Completed' section below proposed?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:14 AM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Tower Crane going up for the 1411 S Michigan project.....
Not a pretty yellow one, but I guess it'll have to do.

http://wp.me/p7uLxw-1Rk

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations