HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:33 PM

Burnside Bridgehead Block 75 - Phase 2 | 206'-6" | 19 floors | Dead

-------------------------

Original Post:

This should be interesting to follow, moving it into its own thread...

Will Portland's next skyline addition be a 20-story wooden tower?
Sep 22, 2015, 11:16am PDT
Jon Bell
Staff Reporter
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1442949921

Quote:
Fresh off the news that Beam Development is planning to restore the Shleifer Furniture building into a hotel after the long-standing furniture business closes its doors, the developer has also set its sights on a wooden high-rise at the Burnside Bridgehead.

Brad Malsin, owner of Beam Development, said his firm is considering a cross-laminated timber (CLT) building for Phase 2 of Block 75 at the Burnside Bridgehead.

"We'd love to shoot for close to 20 stories," he said. "We're debating some kind of mixed-use and we'll try to do some new angle on creative office."

Beam is well into its Phase 1 of Block 75 at the Burnside Bridgehead, a 10-story mixed-use project that it's developing with Urban Development + Partners. That project, which is set to top out in the next few weeks, will offer 7,800 square feet of ground-floor retail space, 32,000 square feet of office space and six floors of apartments. It's expected to be completed by next summer.

Malsin said more concrete details of plans for Phase 2 of Block 75 will materialize in the coming months.

...(continues)

Last edited by maccoinnich; Dec 10, 2016 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 9:58 PM
A before E

Sounds like a potential good addition to this district. I am guessing they are talking about the vacant quarter block on this block?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:47 PM

I posted this in the Pearl thread, but thought I would post it here as well. A great TED Talk video to watch to gain a cursory understanding of the differences between a cross-laminated timber project and traditional wood construction:

TED Talk - CLT Construction

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Sounds like a potential good addition to this district. I am guessing they are talking about the vacant quarter block on this block?
Yes. The building currently under construction assumed a future building on the rest of the block. The garage access for both phases will be under phase II, and the phase I approval has a condition that within a certain number of years either a) phase II must be under construction, or b) they have build a roof structure to screen the ramp.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:03 AM

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:44 AM

Yaaaassss that looks sexy.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 6:03 AM

Works Partnership have requested Design Advice for Block 75 Phase II:

Quote:
Design Advice Request for a 19-story mixed use tower.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 8:23 AM
Karma Police

Looks like a supersized Jenga.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Works Partnership have requested Design Advice for Block 75 Phase II:

But they said it'll be 20 stories!

Jk

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 8:14 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Looks like a supersized Jenga.
...but in a good way!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:33 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Ah, I was sitting on the opposite side of the room, by the windows. Interesting presentation, eh? There were some... opinions shared by WPA.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:59 AM

Haha, to put it mildly.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
There were some... opinions shared by WPA.
Do tell.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 1:28 AM

Finally... The got wood bumper sticker on all of the suburban cars ....
makes sense

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 AM

I'm a huge fan of WPA and think they are doing some of the finest work in Portland - and Seattle too. I find it very interesting that there will soon be such a collection of their work in such close proximity in the Central Eastside:

BSide6 (Complete)
Frame|Work (Complete)
Centennial Mills (Complete)
Eastside Exchange (Complete)
Stumptown HQ (Complete)
8th and Stark (Under Construction?)
Block 75 Phase I (Under Construction)
Block 75 Phase II (Proposed)
E. Burnside Hotel (Proposed)

A little amazing. I'm glad we're getting a little Skylab and Vallaster Corl in the mix too.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Do tell.
They (mostly Carrie) really tore into the other two architects designs- Yard and (especially) The Fair Haired dumbbell. It was in good humor mostly (she was smiling the whole time), but there's no denying the comments were harsh, and both Cavenaugh and Kovel clearly took offense. Neither of them returned the favor though.

They've more than redeemed themselves with this new CLT tower design though. Wow! One of the best looking hi/mid rise designs I've seen, especially for Portland. I'm unimpressed by their new hotel proposal on Burnside though.

Last edited by TowerPower; Oct 15, 2015 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 4:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower View Post
They (mostly Carrie) really tore into the other two architects designs- Yard and (especially) The Fair Haired dumbbell. It was in good humor mostly (she was smiling the whole time), but there's no denying the comments were harsh, and both Cavenaugh and Kovel clearly took offense. Neither of them returned the favor though.

They've more than redeemed themselves with this new CLT tower design though. Wow! One of the best looking hi/mid rise designs I've seen, especially for Portland. I'm unimpressed by their new hotel proposal on Burnside though.
I have met Carrie a number of times before, that smile doesn't mean she was being nice.

As for this new building, I really like it, and I am really liking how this East Burn skyline and district as a whole is developing. When Saltzman mentioned the idea for a "Green District," this is the area that first popped into mind.

East Burn is turning into my favorite part of the City Center.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I have met Carrie a number of times before, that smile doesn't mean she was being nice.

As for this new building, I really like it, and I am really liking how this East Burn skyline and district as a whole is developing. When Saltzman mentioned the idea for a "Green District," this is the area that first popped into mind.

East Burn is turning into my favorite part of the City Center.

Headed North on the Marquam bridge you can really see the skyline provided from the Lloyd District and now these Burnside bridgehead buildings will only add to that

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 10:06 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Headed North on the Marquam bridge you can really see the skyline provided from the Lloyd District and now these Burnside bridgehead buildings will only add to that
Yeah, it looks really good from the Orange Line when the train heads over the riverplace area too.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:58 PM

Portland project could be on top of the world

By: Stephen Alexander in Real Estate and Development October 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Portland could soon become home to the world’s tallest cross-laminated timber (CLT) building.

An application requesting design advice for a 19-story mixed-use tower in Northeast Portland was submitted recently by Mark Nye of Works Partnership Architecture, on behalf of Block 75 LLC. A 10-story concrete and steel-frame building is already being constructed on Block 75; however, this proposed second building – at Northeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Couch Street – could differ significantly. That is because Brad Malsin, owner of Beam Development, the project’s developer, is considering using CLT.

“We consider ourselves pioneers in a lot of the real estate and development that we have done,” Malsin said. “Our general mindset is not just building things, but trying to provide opportunities for ourselves, for the city, for others. It’s important to identify new construction types, especially if it produces jobs. We realize the impact that CLT construction could have on the Oregon economy in stimulating the lumber business. We’re aware of both the direct and the indirect benefits of doing a first-of-its-kind high-rise CLT building. We’re hoping that this could really, really stimulate a lot of people to take a look at what the opportunities are.”

Of course, before a CLT building taller than six stories could be constructed in Portland, city building codes would need to change. The possibility of modifying those codes is already being reviewed.

“Recently the (International Code Council) sent out a call for an ad hoc committee,” said Catherine Heeb, building plans examiner with the Bureau of Development Services. “The American Wood Council requested that ICC start this committee to look at code change, so it’s at the very beginning stages.”

Beam Development’s proposed building could be either 19 or 20 stories. Currently, an 18-story building planned in Vancouver, British Columbia, is on track to become the world’s tallest constructed with CLT.

Before deciding whether to use CLT for the second building at Block 75, Malsin said that he will have to consider numerous factors. Those include constructability, cost, permitting and possible financing obstacles.

That said, after checking out some University of British Columbia buildings that have used CLT, Malsin wants to follow suit.

“We’ve gotten comfortable enough to try to see if we can make sense of it,” he said. “We would prefer doing it. I want to make it clear that we are continuing to investigate. We’d like to do a CLT building, but (we do not know) whether it’s feasible to go 19 to 20 stories.”

Ethan Martin, Northwest regional director for WoodWorks, an initiative of the Wood Products Council, said that with city codes currently limiting mass-timber buildings to six stories, one 19 or 20 stories would have a dramatic impact on the industry.

“It will be a landmark opportunity,” he said. “It will put us into a section of our building code that has never allowed the use of wood. It will really open up the door for people to use mass timber in buildings in the six- to 20-story range.”

On Tuesday, Beam Development hosted a “topping off party” to celebrate the last floor being poured for the 10-story building representing phase one of the project.

Malsin said that he has received a number of letters expressing interest in leasing commercial space in the first building. The team has not started to market the residential units yet, but occupancy is expected to begin sometime next summer.

Malsin added that he believes the use of CLT in the second building would add to the aesthetic value of the first building, which will have a modern appearance.

“The (CLT) buildings themselves are so unique with the warmth of the wood and the feel and fit and finish,” he said. “It’s really a different experience. Instead of building a monolithic type of development, with a number of buildings that kind of mimic each other, we’re really set on trying to have an array of different types of buildings and different types of ideas and different types of forward thinking.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland