HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:57 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Why not incorporate the towers into one? I'd love to see more height capped with a lit spire.
Cost. Anything over about 1000 feet starts to require a fair bit more engineering and the game basically changes (per my understanding...don't ask me what changes exactly)

These behemoths you see going up in China and Dubai look nice to enthusiasts like us but they're nowhere near as cost-effective as splitting a mega-tall building in two height-wise.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 12:36 AM

Nice building LA!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:03 PM

Would somebody be kind enough to do a rendering of this tower included in the current entire downtown skyline?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1272 View Post
Would somebody be kind enough to do a rendering of this tower included in the current entire downtown skyline?
Including the Beacon, Perla, and the three towers around the LA Times please

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Cost. Anything over about 1000 feet starts to require a fair bit more engineering and the game basically changes (per my understanding...don't ask me what changes exactly)

These behemoths you see going up in China and Dubai look nice to enthusiasts like us but they're nowhere near as cost-effective as splitting a mega-tall building in two height-wise.
I am so sick of hearing this excuse. Not attacking you Spocket, but we keep hearing the same nonsense. Los Angeles is not Panama City. There is PLENTY of money in this town, and plenty of financing available to build in America's 2nd biggest city and doorway to Asia. There is clearly another reason that we are not being told.

I suspect that there must be some financial arrangement between the current tallest and the city (whether LA, NY, or any city), that prevents other towers from surpassing that height limit unless they reach a more favorable deal....just guessing here, but no other explanation makes sense to me.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:27 AM

Might as well keep this in the 900 ft range and remove Wilshire Grand's spire so US Bank Tower can claim its title back (which there's a 0% chance of that happening), if not Angels Landing MUST BUILD TALLER than 1100 ft.

Last edited by Blesha13; Feb 1, 2018 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:05 PM
Frequent Lurker

Condos, restaurants, an elementary school. How an 80-story skyscraper could transform Bunker Hill
Roger Vincent
May 30, 2018
Los Angeles Times
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...530-story.html

Quote:
On a steep, barren hillside next to the landmark Angels Flight railway, developers plan to erect a $1.2-billion residential, hotel and retail complex anchored by a skyscraper of at least 80 stories that would be one of the tallest buildings west of the Mississippi River.

The process could take several years, but the developers, a trio of minority-owned firms, plan to file an application with the city next month to start the official approval process. The City Council has already granted them an exclusive negotiating agreement to develop the city-controlled 2.2-acre site at Fourth and Hill streets.

Their proposal in December won a city competition among would-be developers who coveted the opportunity to build a large-scale project in the heart of downtown.

Buildings would fill only half the site, leaving room outdoors for landscaped public terraces including one overlooking Angels Flight railway midway up its path.

Above underground parking and lower-level shops and restaurants would be two towers.

The shorter tower of about 27 stories would house a charter elementary school and a 289-room Mondrian hotel with a rooftop pool and bar.

The main tower would reach a minimum of 80 stories and include a more luxurious 192-room SLS hotel with its own swimming pool. Above that would be 425 upscale apartments along with some subsidized affordable units. The top floors would hold 250 condominiums — and another swimming pool.

Technically the tallest building in L.A. would still be the 73-story Wilshire Grand Center, which reaches a height of 1,100 feet with the help of a spire on top.

As planned, Angels Landing would be 1,020 feet tall, but its top floor penthouses, Recalvo said, would be higher than the highest occupied floor of the Wilshire Grand, Recalvo said.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:09 PM
BANNED

Really nice!!!

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:15 PM
Metal Up Your !

The base is rather slick. The crown is a disappointment for me, it's an unexciting topoff.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Number 3 is the best by far.

While a nice design in the abstract, #1 is banal, uninspired '80's-to-mid-'90's tripe.

#2 is equally lazy at an au courant architectural trend that has been aesthetically improved upon in a lot of other places.

The *one* thing they need to do with the Handel proposal is make the fins top out at a 45º angle to break the flat roof tedium.

Wilshire Grand seems to try to do that, but IMO not too well.
I dont think they are allowed to do that... something about helicopter access....

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
I dont think they are allowed to do that... something about helicopter access....
Helipad rule on LA skyscrapers is no longer mandatory

Article also states they will be looking to redesign to claim tallest building in LA title as the design isn’t finalized. Also developer states he believes groundbreaking will be in the next cycle, 3 to 4 years away with tentative completion in 2024. Let’s hope they find the investors to build it in this cycle.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 6:18 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1272 View Post
Here's a quick mockup of how Angel's Landing will look in the skyline from the south, I'll try and make a few more in the future!

Original photo taken by Logan Selinski: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133681...2/41458648194/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:11 PM

This isn't my original photo, so if you know who's it is, I'll edit this and give them credit

Did a quick mockup of what LA might look like with Angels Landing, 913 Figueroa, and a few others. The height is definitely off on 913 Figueroa, so I'll edit that and add more of the current proposals when I get more time. But this'll give us an idea of what we could possibly expect in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:55 PM

^^^ If Angels Landing sticks with the 1,020 height, its actually going to be about the same height with the US Bank tower, maybe slightly taller, from that angle since its only going to be 3 feet taller. Now if they push passed 1,100, than that might be what it looks like.

Yeah that fig tower is way off, but thats how tall it will look if they also decided to push passed 1,100 which im hoping for. But what are those two tall towers to the left and right of it ?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 11:47 PM

This will really extend the skyline to the NE

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
This isn't my original photo, so if you know who's it is, I'll edit this and give them credit

Did a quick mockup of what LA might look like with Angels Landing, 913 Figueroa, and a few others. The height is definitely off on 913 Figueroa, so I'll edit that and add more of the current proposals when I get more time. But this'll give us an idea of what we could possibly expect in the near future.

That looks like a screenshot from Blade Runner 2049.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:57 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Here's a quick mockup of how Angel's Landing will look in the skyline from the south, I'll try and make a few more in the future!

Original photo taken by Logan Selinski: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133681...2/41458648194/
Nice. Man, LA's skyline is a bit like the Teton Mountains from that view. There's very little leading up to "the peaks".

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice. Man, LA's skyline is a bit like the Teton Mountains from that view. There's very little leading up to "the peaks".
This looks great!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:25 AM

I think many developers want usable rooftops kind of like Wilshire Grand has that rooftop bar, curious what the other side of Wilshire grand will be. So creating a skinny peak could be possible like the Wilshire Grand (minus the spire) should be done.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:39 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Looks as if from most angles Aon will sit between two bookends...until (IIRC) 913 Fig starts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals