HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
I think Shorenstein is just looking for a quick profit instead of waiting for a something better to come available. Especially bad from an out-of-town developer who doesn't seem to appreciate the significance of the location. I agree with Majin that a parking lot that is easy to redevelop is better than a mediocre building that will be there for 50+ years. Nor real reason to rush this site except for $$$ or a good project.
I agree with everyone, Shorenstein should either wait or not build at all, and if they are going to build I think that another Yamanee with a neo modern look would fit, as long as it isn’t 19Q height because that doesn’t belong there. If they are looking to build a five story project they can build on an empty lot in Midtown that is in need to building.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:05 PM

I think anyone expecting high-rises anytime soon should have a reality check after those steel tariffs happened. If the market was uncertain here before, there's a snowball's chance in San Diego of seeing high-rises in Sacramento this cycle, let alone this current government.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:30 PM

New California Natural Resources Building. Expected to break ground this fall:

http://news.theregistrysf.com/turner...ral-resources/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:42 PM

don't worry guys we will have a few more high rises in the next few years, the department of Natural Resources, an 11 story state building(summer ground breaking), new 20 story convention center hotel and the 18 story or so new court house. The Marshall hotel and the 301 CM is still a go. the marshall hotel is getting help from the city and 301 CM is still finalizing the design. Calstrs is still 50/50 if they should build a new 10 story mid rise in west sac if not they can go to 301 CM. so at least 4 highrises/midrises coming down the pipeline.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
don't worry guys we will have a few more high rises in the next few years, the department of Natural Resources, an 11 story state building(summer ground breaking), new 20 story convention center hotel and the 18 story or so new court house. The Marshall hotel and the 301 CM is still a go. the marshall hotel is getting help from the city and 301 CM is still finalizing the design. Calstrs is still 50/50 if they should build a new 10 story mid rise in west sac if not they can go to 301 CM. so at least 4 highrises/midrises coming down the pipeline.
Is the a time set for the Marshall Hotel construction and 301 Capitol Mall? And is there any news for The Metropolitan and 601 Capitol Mall? While I am happy that there is construction and high rises, they are for the state and not office buildings/condominiums, but unfortunately the market is only ready for small projects and State Projects.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Yes, these are all coming and looking forward to them! Next couple of years these will hopefully go vertical.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:44 PM
Kodachrome

So much certainty in your ability to see the future, please explain further CAGeoNerd and
Kamehameha what you’re basing this on? Do you have communications with any one of
these developers or banks preparing to finance these projects? You only have to look
back a little over 30 years to see that most of these proposals will never leave the
drawing board because of bad timing or sensational hype and nothing more.
It would be incredible if these all panned out, but let’s get real and put this in
perspective… what’s actually getting built here and what we want built here.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
So much certainty in your ability to see the future, please explain further CAGeoNerd and
Kamehameha what you’re basing this on? Do you have communications with any one of
these developers or banks preparing to finance these projects? You only have to look
back a little over 30 years to see that most of these proposals will never leave the
drawing board because of bad timing or sensational hype and nothing more.
It would be incredible if these all panned out, but let’s get real and put this in
perspective… what’s actually getting built here and what we want built here.
Nope, just looking at the timelines and I know the approvals/permitting is currently going through the process for these. But I guess you're right, we should assume the worst in all possible scenarios.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:32 PM

19 J is on its 3rd floor and I still don't feel confident we will see the full projected height built. I'd be content with 6-8 floors. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:42 AM
Here we stAy

I don't think 19J pencils out if they don't build the full height so I wouldn't be worried about that project. It's a complicated project with a new type of construction and I'm sure the contractor is figuring a few things out. The crane should be up in the next little while too with the base already in.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:27 PM

At least 4 midrises/highrises, two will get underway this summer and fall.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
19 J is on its 3rd floor and I still don't feel confident we will see the full projected height built. I'd be content with 6-8 floors. Anything beyond that is gravy.
The top of the rebar at the shafts is likely already at floor 4 if not 5 --just scale the men working they look tiny.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:47 PM
Kodachrome

The hotel at 15th & K is just an idea with a rendering, nothing has been presented to the
Planning Dept. The Courthouse project has also only presented a rendering, to pay for it
the County needs to sell $250 million in real-estate. 301 CM is also just a rendering too,
no plans have been submitting to the planning Dept. I’m glad your excited about the States
plan to build, they did wonders with the East End project and CalPERS downtown right?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:42 AM

Guys check this out if you have a Twitter, Ben Van Der Meer of the SacBiz j tweeted that Shorenstein will explore the feasibility of a 14 story building on the Aura site instead of 5 stories! How exciting, 9 additional stories! Hopefully they can even go farther than 14 stories if they find it financially feasible!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:59 AM

O and also big news it appears that Centene is close or has voted on building a HQ in Sac, a developer apparently signed an application to build Centene’s HQ near Sleep Train.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...e-centene.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:39 PM
Kodachrome

CADA Site 21 proposal goes to the Planning & Design Commission tomorrow. This is
a fine project and one Sacramento can support. 10 years ago Sacramento could only
support residential as high as 5 floors and now were up to 9. Anyone who
expects the city to leap into the high rise living better take a step back. We should
be lucky this is going up, an apartment building over 50 years old will be demolished
and the local preservationist could not find a way to make it an historic structure.

http://sacramento.granicus.com/MetaV...meta_id=517163

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:10 PM

Such a fine building. I've always liked this design - the back leave a little something to be desired, but that's true for almost all buildings. It will look very appropriate for its location across from Capitol Park. Even though its rather large for Sacramento, this has a good chance, since Cresleigh Homes is the developer. I'm sure they have access to tons of capital and a list of available contractors. I would be ecstatic to see this, and 50 more like it, get built. I hope the Preservationist Crew does not attempt lawsuit after lawsuit...like they're doing with Yamanee.

Speaking of Yamanee, does anyone know anything? It may be just a little too big - it's definitely at or a little past the limit of what can get built right now. However, I think it would make for a great addition to Midtown.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post

CADA Site 21 proposal goes to the Planning & Design Commission tomorrow. This is
a fine project and one Sacramento can support. 10 years ago Sacramento could only
support residential as high as 5 floors and now were up to 9. Anyone who
expects the city to leap into the high rise living better take a step back. We should
be lucky this is going up, an apartment building over 50 years old will be demolished
and the local preservationist could not find a way to make it an historic structure.

http://sacramento.granicus.com/MetaV...meta_id=517163
Damn that's a beautifully design building. I would love to see several of those mid rise projects lined up against N street.

Last edited by Pistola916; Mar 21, 2018 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:12 AM
BUFF$LUT

Saw the comment that was made in the other thread about the Sac Forum lacking activity, so I went ahead and brought my camera with me on my trip to the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op. Wish I could've visited more construction sites, but it was getting darker and I feared I would get caught in the rain, and let me tell you.. nothing is worse than biking in the rain, especially with a nice camera. Here are some photos of both large and small projects.

Housing near 14th & D streets. (fun fact - I was born and raised in that old vintage fourplex on the left.)

housing in Chinatown Alley between 16th and and 15th st

and in front of that housing are these new homes on D street. (I would've gotten a closer shot but someone I didn't want to stop and talk to lives next to them and I could see them sitting on the porch.)

New Victorian-style housing on the southwest corner of 16th & F

19J still dragging its feet

Housing going up on the northeast corner of 23rd and K. I think this project will have ground level retail?

and finally here is the site over on Stockton & T

and that is all for now.

I must say, it saddens me to see what has become of this forum. I've been following this forum for over a decade. I literally check it every day. It used to be filled with tons of activity, but it has slowly fizzled out. I will continue to visit on the daily, because I love to read everything you guys talk about.

I know I don't really fit in with the crowd that mainly posts in this forum - I think you're all like professional business men whereas I'm just some 28 year old working retail and going to the bars every weekend, but I just want to tell you guys that I really admire and respect everything you do on here. We all share a love for Sac and enjoy watching it blossom. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:06 PM

Thank you for the photos, dts89! You showed a couple of projects that I did not know had started. Very exiting.

I think you fit in just fine, here on this forum. Many of us have business backgrounds, many of us don't. Some of us are good conservatives or libertarians, most are communists and pinkos j/k

Some are gay, others are straight. Some think that cilantro tastes good, others still have their sanity.

Yes, there are a lot of differences. So what do we all have in common? Well, we love Sacramento and we geek out on development. We can meet in this forum and post news, discuss development and, yes, even argue. That's a good thing. I know for a fact that lots of movers and shakers and tons of regular folks "lurk" in this forum. I am convinced that the disappointment we all expressed about 601 CM is one of the reasons the developer was pressured by the City Council into exploring something more than just a 5-story building.

If you ask me, I am very happy that people like you keep this forum alive with thoughts, ideas, analysis, and pictures. Keep posting! Sacramento development is anything, but dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area