HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
When we stop worrying about what we consider to be high crime rates is when I might consider calling us naive.
Pardon? You lost me. The naivety comes from the completely false statement that Winnipeg has one of the worst crime rates in North America. Not from the fact that Winnipeg has a problem. I admit that. It may be nothing compared to any American city, but that doesn't mean it can't do better. I already said earlier that 1 homicide is too many in my books. However, that doesn't mean the citizens of Winnipeg can't step outside of their doors for fear of being hurt. To paint Winnipeg as Juarez - or even Detroit, for that matter - is nothing but naive, if not completely ignorant.

To put it into perspective, last year, Winnipeg's worst year in it's history (and an anomaly I assure you) it had a rate that was point something lower than New Yorks. While we were up in arms about our rate, New Yorkers were celebrating, yet again their lowest rate in decades, and also were considered one of the safest cities to live in the US.

Quote:
Sadly, no. Winnipeg's murder rate exceeded the US average last year and is indeed more dangerous (on that measure) than MOST US cities. Huge issue that can't be swept under the rug.
That statement is false, ignorant, naive, stupid, and any other word that I can think of. I am sorry for the bluntness but as I said, I get very frustrated when people try to paint a picture of my home that isn't true. It gets tiring having to constantly tell people who don't live here, that no, Winnipeg is not dangerous. But when people spread crap like that, it's no wonder why.

When I was living in Guelph, I got into a downright argument with a woman who insisted - and I kid you not - that Winnipeg was the homicide capital of the world. We were sitting with 5-6 other people at lunch. Now how does that make Winnipeg look. Not many people are as enlightened as us when it comes to geography. You can argue that the people would know better, but the truth is most people don't.

So yeah, when it comes to crime, we are a bit naive. Canadians hear about Winnipeg and Toronto homicides on the news, and then automatically assume that we live in this horrific place that they should never go to. Most people don't take a look at the outside world like us enthusiasts do. And unlike Rusty Van Reddick's statement, mine isn't just belligerent speculation. It is the truth, whether you want to believe it or not.

New York (3rd lowest since recording began 50 years ago) 6.10/100 000
Winnipeg (Highest ever) 5.8/100 000
Juarez 145.41/100 000 (which is a major decline from previous years)

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Aug 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:44 PM

Number 10 for Halifax after a fight downtown left a man dead on the street:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...-argyle-street

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 4:39 AM

Second in two days in Montreal. 17 now.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 6:03 PM
The good old days are now

Apparently Montreal is at 19 now...
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...717/story.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Apparently Montreal is at 19 now...
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...717/story.html
3 of the 4 homicides were gang-related ( blood members)

Last edited by PhilippeMtl; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 10:47 PM

They're saying this could be the start to a gang war. They said that before with the mob hits and that died down before it got out of hand so we will see.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 4:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Posse Crackdown on Bo-Gars?

Quote:
Alleged gang leader killed
Montreal Gazette, Aug 13, 2012.

MONTREAL - The reputed leader of the notorious Bo-Gars street gang was gunned down in the crowded parking lot of the Galeries d’Anjou shopping centre on Friday night. Chénier Dupuy, 37, was sitting in his car when he was shot around 6:50 p.m.

Police found him near the car when they arrived. He was brought to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. A 32-year-old man, who police said Friday night is also tied to a street gang, was injured in the shooting but managed to flee into the mall.

The gunman is still at large, police said.

A few hours later and several kilometres away, 42-year-old Lamartine Paul was shot outside his apartment building on Samson Blvd. in Laval. Paul, a known street-gang member, had just arrived home and was walking through the parking lot behind the building when he was shot. He managed to walk to the front of the building before collapsing. He was unconscious but still breathing when police arrived and was brought to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz23RXLmwM6

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 4:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Gangs de rue: la guerre est déclarée

Vincent Larouche, La Presse

Trois hommes ont été tués par balle dans la région de Montréal ce week-end, dont deux vétérans des gangs de rue de la famille des «Rouges». La police avait averti l'un d'eux qu'il était en danger, sans obtenir beaucoup de collaboration de sa part. Elle croit maintenant que le sang pourrait couler à nouveau sous peu.
Il se passe quelque chose dans les hautes sphères des gangs de rue à Montréal. La police craint de nouveaux assassinats, après un week-end mouvementé au cours duquel le chef des «Rouges» et un autre haut gradé de son clan ont été tués coup sur coup.

Tout a commencé vendredi soir. Chénier «Big» Dupuy, chef des Bo-Gars, le plus important gang de la grande famille des «Rouges», était assis avec un acolyte dans un véhicule utilitaire sport de marque Volvo. Les deux amis étaient garés devant le restaurant Bâton Rouge des Galeries d'Anjou.

Soudain, plusieurs coups de feu ont éclaté, et le véhicule a été criblé de balles. Les témoins affirment que deux hommes de race noire ont pris la fuite. Chénier Dupuy, atteint au haut du corps, a été transporté à l'hôpital, où son décès a été constaté.

Son acolyte, qui s'était réfugié dans le restaurant bondé de clients, a été traité pour deux blessures par balle, mais sa vie n'est pas en danger.

Sept heures plus tard, un autre vétéran des «Rouges», Lamartine Sévère Paul, revenait à son appartement du boulevard Samson, à Laval, au volant de sa Audi A8. Le père de famille de 42 ans a eu tout juste le temps de se garer derrière l'immeuble avant qu'un tireur ne surgisse et décharge son arme sur lui.

Le caïd s'est traîné jusqu'à l'avant de l'immeuble, où il s'est effondré, en sang, devant la porte d'entrée. Ce sont les cris d'horreurs de sa conjointe, à l'intérieur, qui ont alerté le voisinage. Malgré les efforts des services d'urgence, la victime n'a jamais pu être réanimée.

Samedi, en après-midi, un autre homme, qui n'a pas été identifié, a ensuite été retrouvé mort, atteint par au moins une balle, dans un appartement du chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges. Selon nos sources, les enquêteurs soupçonnent que ce meurtre pourrait aussi être lié à l'attaque contre les «Rouges»
Read more here: http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/re...t-declaree.php

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 4:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
La violence à Montréal reliée au retour de Rizzuto

(Cogeco Nouvelles) - Les meurtres de deux vétérans des gangs de rue, ce week-end à Montréal, sont un signe de la violence accrue qui accompagnera le retour au pays du présumé chef de la mafia italienne de Montréal, Vito Rizzuto.
Read more here:http://www.985fm.ca/regional-montrea...to-164407.html

Time to go to the mattresses. Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.

paramount

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 11:13 PM

A grissly discovery in Mississauga, Ontario
http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/...-foot-in-river

I wonder if it fell in the time frame that Magnotta could have done it or is there another one like him around?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
A grissly discovery in Mississauga, Ontario
http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/...-foot-in-river

I wonder if it fell in the time frame that Magnotta could have done it or is there another one like him around?
I think all of the um, pieces of the Magnotta case are accounted for now. What a sick fuck though, they should send him to jail in China!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 6:43 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
That statement is false, ignorant, naive, stupid, and any other word that I can think of. I am sorry for the bluntness
You should apologize for being monumentally wrong. The US murder rate for 2011 was 4.2 per 100,000. What was Winnipeg's in 2011, again? One more time?

Nobody has ever argued this hyperbole you're accusing them of- that every Winnipegger is in danger of being gunned down as he steps out onto his porch. But to just insist that facts don't matter- you're ridiculous.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
You should apologize for being monumentally wrong. The US murder rate for 2011 was 4.2 per 100,000. What was Winnipeg's in 2011, again? One more time?

Nobody has ever argued this hyperbole you're accusing them of- that every Winnipegger is in danger of being gunned down as he steps out onto his porch. But to just insist that facts don't matter- you're ridiculous.
You're comparing a city's homicide rate to that of an entire country, which like I said includes small towns and villages. Do you know how ridiculous that comparison is? Viking already made the comparison between all of the US cities and so did I. And it was very, very apparent that Winnipeg doesn't even breach the top 3/4 of US cities in terms of homicides on a normal year. Stop reaching for something that isn't there.

We have provided facts, you have provided distilled information to make it seem like Winnipeg is worse than it is.

The biggest problem with your claim is that you are solely using last year as an example of Winnipeg's crime problems. Last year as we have said is a downright anomole, including the fact that five people were killed in a fire that was lit as a scare tactic on what the perp. thought was an empty house. That alone accounted for 12% of our homicide rate last year.

Winnipeg doesn't even have the worst homicide rate this year in Canada as of right now, so I don't even know why we are having this discussion.

Also remember that homicides are not reflective of crime and social situations within cities. They are too random, and usually domestic and unpredictable in nature. You can make a drug bust, but it is impossible to make a homicide bust. Why? Because they aren't pre-emptive. At least not usually. And if you were to take a look at the facts you would know that Winnipeg's violent crime rate has been on a steady downward slope for the last 5 years.

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Aug 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 12:01 PM

Here you go:

Quote:
So here are the rates for murder for the 50 biggest metro areas 2010. The US rate was 4.8.

1. New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 20.8
2. Baltimore-Towson, MD 10.3
3. Birmingham-Hoover, AL 9.3
4. Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI 9.1
5. Memphis, TN-MS-AR 8.6
6. Kansas City, MO-KS 8.2
7. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 7.8
7. Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL 7.8
7. St. Louis, MO-IL 7.8
10. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 7.3
11. Jacksonville, FL 7.2
11. Richmond, VA 7.2
13. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 6.7
14. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 6.6
14. Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 6.6
16. Indianapolis-Carmel, IN 6.4
16. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI 6.4
18. Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN 6.2
18. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 6.2
20. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 6.1
20. Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY 6.1
22. Columbus, OH 5.8
23. Oklahoma City, OK 5.7
24. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC 5.6

25. Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ 5.5
26. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 5.3
26. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 5.3
28. Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH 4.9
28. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN 4.9
30. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL 4.8
31. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 4.7
31. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA 4.7
31. Pittsburgh, PA 4.7
31. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 4.7
35. Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT 4.5
35. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA 4.5
37. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 4.3
38. Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN 4.2
38. Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Roseville, CA 4.2
40. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH 3.5
41. Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX 3.4
41. Raleigh-Cary, NC 3.4
43. Salt Lake City, UT 2.9
44. Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA 2.6
45. Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO 2.5
46. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI 2.4
46. Winnipeg, MB 2.4
47. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 2.3
48. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 2.2
49. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA 2.1
50. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 1.4

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Aug 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 12:20 PM

And this is after the US has seen a major downward trend in homicide/crime rates. exemplified by this,

Quote:
Take a look at this list of the biggest 25 cities, ranked by homicide rate, and you’ll see that the relative standing of US metros has noticeably changed over the decade only for Dallas (which saw a bigger drop than NYC), Milwaukee and Columbus (which saw their ranking soar), and Los Angeles (which saw a 75% drop in homicide rate, almost identical to New York City’s 79% drop). On the chart, the numbers on the bottom show how a city ranks (smaller is worse,) and the heights shows you how close, say, Baltimore is to Dallas (not very) or Chicago is to Memphis (very). Thanks to Steve Levitt for the basic idea of comparing homicide declines in the top 25 cities. The other features are MetroTrends originals.
http://blog.metrotrends.org/2011/10/...iggest-cities/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 5:10 PM
BANNED

I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out why Rusty can't understand what Chris is saying...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 2:53 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
rusty....you said this:

Winnipeg is indeed more dangerous than MOST US cities.

it has been shown that you are completely wrong....more than 3/4 of US cities have higher murder rates.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 2:54 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out why Rusty can't understand what Chris is saying...
Because he can't admit that he is wrong.

Usually in a situation like this I simply pretend the thread doesn't exist and stop posting in it. Less stressful that way.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 3:10 AM

Not sure if it is 19 or 20...

Young man dead after Ville St. Pierre shooting

BY MARWA SIAM ABDOU, THE GAZETTE AUGUST 18, 2012

VILLE ST. PIERRE - Police are investigating a fatal shooting of a young man Friday evening in Ville St. Pierre.

The man was pronounced dead in hospital from several shots to his upper body at 10 p.m.

Montreal police were called to the residential neighbourhood on Milton avenue and des Erables St. at 9:20 p.m. after witnesses heard gun shots outside their homes.

Police found the victim on the ground and called Urgences Santé ambulance. Witnesses told police that they saw at least two people fleeing the scene on foot.

The case is being transferred to the major crimes unit, said police spokesperson Constable Anthony Cantelmi.

It is too early to provide any further information, Cantelmi said. Also, police do not know whether the latest death is linked to other shootings in Montreal, including the killing of reputed Bo-Gars leader Chénier Dupuy last Friday and the slaying of Lamartine Sévère Paul in Laval hours later.

msiam@montrealgazette.com

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz23tyusFAG

Last edited by PhilippeMtl; Aug 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 1:53 AM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4510814/

Another woman's body discovered, by the lower Niagara River in Niagara Falls, Ont., without a head or limbs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada