HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a ETS Rapid Transit masterplan scheme?
Yes, I'd vote for more BRT/LRT 272 82.42%
No, what we have is fine. 34 10.30%
I dunno, maybe, yes, no, whatever. 24 7.27%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 2:01 AM

Hmmm classy! Nothing says beauty like glass bus shelters on concrete!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 2:17 AM
Urban Advocate

I'm sure there has to be inexpensive ways to fix this problem without being tacky?!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 2:22 AM
planner-sh!t disturber

they really just have to replace that roof with something better looking... it shouldn't be too difficult. In fact... do you even NEED a roof if it's going to be a shelter inside the station? i dont' think so.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2005, 7:55 AM
Urban Advocate

Sooo, this thread needs some life. Has anyone seen the detailed diagrams of the LRT station at 76th and on ward? Just was checking it all out on the SLRT website. I wasn't sure how it would all work (even the transition onto the 111th meridian), but it's pretty detailed.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Dec 14, 2005, 5:25 PM

I haven't yet but I will if you say they are up. What does everyone think of the cities plan to delay using their funds to replace the oldest of the diesel busses. Is the provincial funding in place or is that is a hope and a prayer on the cities part from where the cash is supposed to come from.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2005, 5:30 PM
Honored Member

City budget shrinks, then grows
Mayor wins one in bid to trim 6.25% tax hike

Keith Gerein
The Edmonton Journal

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

EDMONTON - Mayor Stephen Mandel scored a victory Tuesday in his bid to cut next year's municipal tax hike, while city council voted for more firefighters and better-maintained winter roads.

Mandel beamed after councillors unanimously backed his proposal to cut $15 million in tax money from Edmonton Transit's bus replacement program. Now, the city will still replace 35 aging diesel buses, but will pay for them with provincial grant dollars to ease the burden on property owners.

"I think (the vote) shows that council is looking at a variety of ways they can deliver services effectively to citizens and keep control of the taxes, because there has to be a balance," Mandel said.

"Our major source of revenue is still the property tax base. We've got to find other ways to fund our programs and fund our growth. We can't keep asking our property taxpayers to do it."

Though all councillors voted for the mayor's proposal, some seemed reluctant. Coun. Ron Hayter called it "political sleight of hand," and Coun. Linda Sloan warned that the provincial government might see it as an inappropriate use of grant money.

Others warned of future problems if the provincial funding dries up, forcing the city to find another source of cash for replacement buses.

The mayor's win came as councillors began lengthy talks on more than 65 proposals to add or reduce spending in the proposed 2006 budget.

When they started, the proposed tax hike stood at 6.25 per cent -- about $68 for the owner of a typical single-family home -- which was chopped nearly in half as a result of Mandel's plan.

But then councillors began to add spending. The final tax increase won't be known until voting is complete on all the spending proposals, which could come as early as today.

One of the most contentious issues Tuesday was a $1.6-million proposal to hire 20 more firefighters next year, above five new positions already approved. After much debate, council voted 7-6 for the increase, which will let the city fully staff two ladder trucks at its Beverly and University stations.

Coun. Kim Krushell, who championed the motion, said Edmonton is seeing more high-rise and higher-density development.

"And when you have tall buildings, you need to have fire trucks with ladders and the staff to run them," Krushell said.

Councillors also voted for better winter maintenance of residential streets. City crews will shave the snowpack and reduce ruts up to three times a year on all side streets, at a cost of $1.5 million.

Spending on ambulances didn't go as far.

The city's dilemma is that the province isn't boosting its grant for ambulances above the $12.9 million that Edmonton got this year.

But the city faces an extra $1.2 million in inflationary costs next year, and wants to hire 22 new paramedics to serve growing areas of Edmonton and maintain adequate response times. That would cost a further $2.1 million.

Councillors agreed to cover the inflationary costs, but not the extra staff. Hayter said the city must pressure the province for more funding.

"Every time we bend in our negotiations with the government, we lose any chance of persuading them to be reasonable," he said.

A few councillors on the losing side, however, said it was unfair to underfund a core service while waiting for the province to come through.

"I'm not going to play chicken with people's lives. There is a level of service our citizens expect," Coun. Janice Melnychuk said.

Other motions approved Tuesday:

- Mandel's proposal to hold back $3.7 million from the transit budget until after a review of its operations and its plans to increase ridership;

- A $450,000 plan to give low-income families unlimited free access to city recreation facilities;

- A $100,000 increase to move ahead with planning for a major streetscape improvement on 118th Avenue;

- A grant of $3 million over three years to a Ukrainian history museum planning to move to Jasper Avenue.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 3:19 PM
Honored Member

I noticed this mornign they have started changing over the signs in the train stations to Health Sciences

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 4:18 PM

Well the station is less than a year away now. I can't wait untill entire SLRT is open. That and NLRT and WLRT coming on stream 2 years after. (One can dream)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 4:49 PM
planner-sh!t disturber

You mean less than a month right? Well, it is still less than a year I guess.

January 2, 2006 is the first day of service for Health Sciences.

Train testing back in November

More Images:
http://www.barp.ca/bus/special/etssl...ing/index.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 4:52 PM

Damn, I thought it was going to be open in time for the next school year so I was thinking the summer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 7:06 PM
Urban Advocate

....so pumped to hear about NLRT and WLRT discussions! Can't wait for formal plans.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 7:42 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Cool to see that Health Sciences is going to open in January '06. It'll be a godsend, since I have to go to the U of A Hospital for blood tests and stuff on an almost regular basis.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 7:53 PM
Urban Advocate

http://www.edmontonslrt.com/PDFs/200...onceptPlan.pdf

Detail design plans of the extension to 76th and beyond. Right down to every new shrub. Really interesting.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2005, 5:18 AM

Hopefully with the new station being open people will finally think about LRT as an important issue that needs to be on the top of the to do list. I dunno, I know I'm gonna ride down there myself to check it out. Its hard to believe this is the only new station built since 1992. I remember back then when they were touting a new extension is just around the corner with the LRT finally being across the river. What a shame.... Ah well, onwards and upwards right?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2005, 11:17 PM
Urban Advocate

I'm back on the 6th. I'll ride it the first chance I get.

Ok, this is way out of left field, but what do you think about something more permanent then a BRT but less then and LRT for Jasper Ave west of 109th. Like a trolly or something similar? It's got the density to make it work.

Maybe even a centre lane thing. If anyone's been to Vienna, they have the same idea going on. Several Subway lines, a ton of trolly lines and a bunch of buses.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2005, 11:25 PM
Community Guy

Personally i think a trolley car or dedicated "BUS" thing that loops 104ave, 101st, jasper, 124st would be a very good idea. Do it so that you have 2 "BUS'" that has no more than 5-10min wait times.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 19, 2005, 11:33 PM
planner-sh!t disturber

I think the best idea is to simply extend the High Level Streetcar route down the centre of Jasper Avenue and loop it around at the Museum. Double track the new route and add another loop in at Grandin Station. This way, you can have two way operation on the Jasper Ave section for a high-quality transit route to link west downtown with the Museum and the LRT, and this can subsidize running the High Level Line over to Whyte over the winter seasons. Toronto's buying new low-floor streetcars soon, so Edmonton can tack the order onto the end of their order, or even buy the current streetcars, which are being scrapped anyway instead of being rebuilt (and subsequently good for 20 more years of service) -- however, they aren't accessible vehicles.

Jasper Ave has a 6-lane cross section, Toronto would KILL to have road ROW's that wide now to put in streetcar rights-of-way. The St Clair Avenue debacle that has still yet to be resolved is a good case of that. 2 lanes of streetcars + 4 lanes of general traffic would be more than enough for that.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2005, 12:15 AM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by element103
Jasper Ave has a 6-lane cross section, Toronto would KILL to have road ROW's that wide now to put in streetcar rights-of-way. The St Clair Avenue debacle that has still yet to be resolved is a good case of that. 2 lanes of streetcars + 4 lanes of general traffic would be more than enough for that.
Very good thought. My one complaint about Jasper west of 109 is that it's too damn wide for its own good. Even though it's in a relatively high-density area, it feels positively vacant given its girth.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2005, 12:20 AM
Community Guy

^we are scared to build so close to roads.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 20, 2005, 12:23 AM

^Isn't there zoning that limits the height abutting Jasper Ave. I think its pretty low too, not sure though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton