HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Disclaimer: All news articles published on this online craps site are spoofs, parody, or satire. None of the information contained in these articles should be taken seriously.
I really hope you didn't take this seriously.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
I really hope you didn't take this seriously.
i thought it was funny i dident take it seriously i wanted to show you how dum the news can be.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 10:37 PM

*facepalm*

Moving right along- North Las Vegas is getting a new city hall? Anyone got some renders?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...new-city-hall/

EDIT: WHAT THE !?@%$ WAS THAT? A fighter jet just buzzed my house! Did anyone else hear it? God it was flying low or at least I think it did seeing as it scared the s- out of me and almost hurt my ears.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 12:01 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
Moving right along- North Las Vegas is getting a new city hall? Anyone got some renders?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...new-city-hall/
Good find! and to answer your question, here's another one:

From: Officials Break Ground For New City Hall and Civic Plaza - City Of North Las Vegas Website

At the bottom of that page is a hotlink to pdf downloads entitled:
Quote:
New City Hall images:
City Hall Image
City Hall Rendering Image
Quote:
The $142 million project will be built on a 12-acre site. It will replace the existing City Hall at 2200 Civic Center Drive with a proposed 210,400 square-foot, 9-story building designed to consolidate municipal services and support the City’s growth in upcoming years.

The project is expected to be complete by October 2011.

The new City Hall will be a cornerstone of the City’s downtown redevelopment and will include a Civic Plaza, funded in part by the Bureau of Land Management. The Civic Plaza will consist of an open-air amphitheater and will be a focal point for special events. The new City Hall will provide a single-stop shop for development and permitting services. It will feature a 3,000 square-foot retail component. The City is pursuing financial and food services for that space to enhance the City Hall experience for people conducting business with the City.

The new City Hall building is expected to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Certification, becoming City’s first LEED Certified building...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 12:51 AM
JoeCooper

It definetly appears that as the valuable land continues to stretch north, especially north of the Stratosphere, overall northern Las Vegas into North Las Vegas seem to be showing signs of serious improvement.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 1:57 AM

I hope that little grass field out in front is actually used for something.

I always wonder what the city hall would be like if the entire Vegas valley was incorporated into one giant city. I would imagine it would be huge if it was all one building.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 2:42 AM
Sleep is for quitters

An older photo added to Aria's website shows the impressive size of Aria. A short video of Cesar Pelli has been added..
http://arialasvegas.com/about-aria/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 8:30 AM
Earthling

re: North Las Vegas

Quote:
I hope that little grass field out in front is actually used for something.
Yeah, the City website says:
Quote:
The Civic Plaza will consist of an open-air amphitheater and will be a focal point for special events.
...whatever that means. In the render it merely looks like a big, flat grassy area. At least now we also know it's done by Denver's Fentress Architects(according to the pdf). I suppose they're competent--having done the Denver Airport. Although I didn't dig how on a 3 hour stopover I had to go take the underground trolley, back and forth to another building to have a bite to eat, and another underground trolley to get to yet another part of the airport to continue my trip. Furthermore, isn't the airport 30 miles from DT? I guess Fentess Architects specializes in sprawlburbia projects.

I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, a new 9 story city hall building broke ground in a suburb. That's great news anywhere in the US, but perhaps moreso in The Las Vegas Valley, it being one of the areas that took a big hit in the real estate gut. Having said that, when it comes to city hall buildings, it looks both unmodern and untraditional, but kinda 1970s. I don't care for the idea of half the lot being used for parking, nor the way it's focused exclusively for people who would get there using a car. It's kind of surprising in a Silver LEED building, and if you're going for 9 stories, go for modern and urbanish. Once they've started the groundbreaking, there usually aren't too many changes trhat can be expected.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 2:36 PM
Mile High Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
Yeah, the City website says:

...whatever that means. In the render it merely looks like a big, flat grassy area. At least now we also know it's done by Denver's Fentress Architects(according to the pdf). I suppose they're competent--having done the Denver Airport. Although I didn't dig how on a 3 hour stopover I had to go take the underground trolley, back and forth to another building to have a bite to eat, and another underground trolley to get to yet another part of the airport to continue my trip. Furthermore, isn't the airport 30 miles from DT? I guess Fentess Architects specializes in sprawlburbia projects.

I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, a new 9 story city hall building broke ground in a suburb. That's great news anywhere in the US, but perhaps moreso in The Las Vegas Valley, it being one of the areas that took a big hit in the real estate gut. Having said that, when it comes to city hall buildings, it looks both unmodern and untraditional, but kinda 1970s. I don't care for the idea of half the lot being used for parking, nor the way it's focused exclusively for people who would get there using a car. It's kind of surprising in a Silver LEED building, and if you're going for 9 stories, go for modern and urbanish. Once they've started the groundbreaking, there usually aren't too many changes trhat can be expected.
Denver International is 23 driving miles from downtown (less in "fly over" miles), and it's just a little further than DFW is from downtown Dallas and Houston-Bush is from downtown Houston. DIA will soon have a light rail line that will quickly move passengers from the airport to downtown Denver and many other areas of Denver metro (120+ miles of approved light rail in the coming years). The "sprawlburbia" comment regarding our airport is ridiculous. Citizens of Denver voted for a new aiport years ago due to adjacent neighborhood complaints (houses were right next to the airport) and lack of expansion options for a very busy airport. Obviously when you vote and build for an entirely NEW airport, you have to build it somewhere. The land where the old Stapleton airport was...is now a world-renown and international award winning new-urban community (where I also live). It currently has 8500 residents in a mixed-use, dense and walkable community - with many large parks, shops, a plethora of architectural home styles for residents of different incomes. As Stapleton is more developed, it will become more dense and that is part of the master plan. The redevelopment of Stapleton will have 30,000 residents and 30,000 workers when complete - with 4 walkable town centers and neighborhood shops from residents homes, offices, commercial buildings, a light rail station, and a variety of other uses. So, the move was a smart and "un-sprawl" like move.

DIA is now one of the most successful aiports in the world and the largest in the U.S. (2nd largest in the world). It's America's greenest airport - with solar power fields on site and many other green aspects. It's the world's 10th busiest (5th by passenger plane movements). It has the capacity to expand to over 100 million passengers and many more runways (it already has 6 runways and america's longest commercial runway for jumbo planes). DIA generates a lot of money for the city of Denver, and we wouldn't have all of that extra revenue without the new airport. You don't need to take the underground train at Denver to get food. Every concourse and the terminal has a variety of restaurants in it (including many non-chain restaurants). That's the same as saying you need to take the Las Vegas people mover train from Concourse C or D to get food in the terminal. A very large airport is bound to have the need to take people movers or trains to get to other large concourses, so it's simply a fact of earthly life if you needed to take a quick train to connect to another flight at a large airport (especially if it's another airline - since DIA almost always has all flights for the same airline on the same concourse).

Last edited by CONative; Jun 7, 2009 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 4:20 PM
Earthling

Uh......meanwhile, back in the Las Vegas area, Henderson may be getting a new science museum. I'm curious about the "mixed-use" component, since it mentions condominiums.

Henderson Space and Science Center
Quote:
...Henderson plans to spend $61 million to build the science museum on a 150-acre city-owned site along the east side of U.S. 95, between Sunset and Russell roads.

The museum would be part of a mixed-use development that could include other museums, retail stores and condominiums.

The total cost of the development could be $250 million. However, the only city-funded project would be the museum....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 1:39 PM
Sleep is for quitters

F'bleau not expected to open in October. Didn't see that coming

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...des-bad-worse/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
Uh......meanwhile, back in the Las Vegas area, Henderson may be getting a new science museum. I'm curious about the "mixed-use" component, since it mentions condominiums.

Henderson Space and Science Center
61 million doesn't impress me compared to many other projects. But this city needs all the museums it can get!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 2:55 AM
Sleep is for quitters

flickr photo by traceyk15

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 3:05 AM
Earthling

Quote:
61 million doesn't impress me compared to many other projects. But this city needs all the museums it can get!
Considering all the half-built-shells-of-buildings being left to deteriorate throughout The Valley, currently...I'm impressed.
It's not on The Strip or in Las Vegas, where one would expect the spendy projects, but in a suburb. 61M for the museum, isn't the whole story, that's why I quoted this part:
Quote:
The museum would be part of a mixed-use development that could include other museums, retail stores and condominiums.

The total cost of the development could be $250 million. However, the only city-funded project would be the museum....

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 3:10 AM
Earthling

Wow...that arch of the bridge is progressing nicely! At the rate it's been going, it might meet/join within a month.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 3:18 AM

WOW....so shocked, Fontainbleau files chapter 11
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...42&newsLang=en

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoVegas View Post
WOW....so shocked, Fontainbleau files chapter 11
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...42&newsLang=en
At least they are not liquidating. It really seems like they were dealt a rotten hand. Who are there creditors? The banks that cut them off at the last minute?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 2:38 PM

Cosmo

Quote:
At least they are not liquidating. It really seems like they were dealt a rotten hand. Who are there creditors? The banks that cut them off at the last minute?
Anyone have any updates on the cosomo? Are they currently working only on the retail portion?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 4:26 PM

Quote:
At least they are not liquidating. It really seems like they were dealt a rotten hand.
Tremendous cost overruns - they dealt themselves a rotten hand by not managing the project properly. And the design and scope is flawed - FB is far too large for its site. If they had designed something half the size it would be open and probably cash-flow positive by now. As it is, FB could be standing there 70% finished for the next decade. Like that "ghost hotel" in Pyongyang.

I've been critical of the ugly design of the new Plaza, but at least El Ad was smart enough not to start something they had no hope of finishing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLV View Post
Anyone have any updates on the cosomo? Are they currently working only on the retail portion?
The crawler cranes are moving around all day and there are workers on the job but I have not seen visible progress in at least 60 days. Perhaps a lot of interior work is happening and we don’t see it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations