HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post

Maybe Kennecot could begin a shuttle bus from the end of the line to the pit. Perhaps UTA and Kennecot could work out some deal to help pay for it. UTA could then advertise the attraction on their trains and busses. I think visitors as well as locals would actually go out to visit if it were that simple to get there.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:50 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Is there anything near the South Jordan PKWY station? Kind of looks like that station is in the middle of nowhere. Do people even use that station? I do know the other daybreak staton has some housing and soon a hospital around it.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 9:10 PM
The Drifter

didn't kennecott help pay for the line to go all the way out to Daybreak? If there funding was part of it then I am sure UTA knows that it wont get used as much as other lines till there is more infill. Just wait in 5-10 years that line will be one of the busiest ones.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Is there anything near the South Jordan PKWY station? Kind of looks like that station is in the middle of nowhere. Do people even use that station? I do know the other daybreak staton has some housing and soon a hospital around it.
There is nothing near the South Jordan Pkwy. Station. My place is in the Northwest part of Daybreak (basically the edge of new construction in Daybreak) and it takes about 4-5 minutes to get there in a car (from my place). I've seen a few cars parked in the park and ride lot when I've used it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Let's just say, if anybody plans to ride a horse alongside the train and jump on it with the intentions of robbing everybody onboard... that's the place to do it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Is there anything near the South Jordan PKWY station? Kind of looks like that station is in the middle of nowhere. Do people even use that station? I do know the other daybreak station has some housing and soon a hospital around it.
Nope it's on 5500 West. The last development in Daybreak is about 4800 West. So a few miles of just one empty road. But it is the closer station to my home than the other one, so I make the lone road trek every day.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 10:56 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Utah transportation officials peek into future

By Lee Davidson
The Salt Lake Tribune

Coalville • The state’s top highway and transit officials peeked together Thursday into the future of transportation.

And they foresee trains up Wasatch canyons, transit fees that charge per mile traveled, more people living by transit stops to ease commutes, TRAX trains without overhead wires, and more roads sharing space with future trains or special-lane express buses.

The discussion came during a regular meeting of the Utah Transportation Commission — which oversees highway funding — where Utah Transit Authority officials made an annual report on its plans. Both agencies mentioned some long-term ideas that are in the works.

It started when UTA General Manager Michael Allegra said long-range plans call for “transit oriented development” around 150 current or planned rail stations along the Wasatch Front. He said residences and businesses close to stops make commutes easier, and take more people off highways. Both agencies said future roads and transit are being designed to encourage such development near transit.

Allegra said long-range plans also depend on more people leaving cars for transit to allow highways to handle expected huge population growth. He said he believes that will happen, in part, because the younger generation would rather spend commuting time on a computer or Kindle than holding a steering wheel. He said they also care more about the environment.

To help make rail and bus rapid transit more feasible, both agencies mentioned plans for rights of way to be share roads and rail or bus rapid transit. For example, the Mountain View Corridor in Utah and Salt Lake Counties is designed to eventually share a freeway and a rail or bus rapid transit line.

To help pay the way, Allegra said UTA soon will have “distance-based fees.” Instead of charging the current flat fee to travel anywhere in its bus or TRAX system, he said some high-tech GPS advancements will allow it to charge passengers for each mile traveled.

Allegra said such improvements that track current locations of trains and buses will also help passengers waiting for a bus or train to easily check via a cell phone about where the next bus is, and when it will arrive.

Transportation Commission Chairman Jeffrey Holt mentioned that with more planned trains, he worries about having too many overhead wires for TRAX.

Allegra said train manufacturers are working on “wireless trains.” He said he expects that technology may be mature enough for use by the time the area looks at hoped-for trains up Big and Little Cottonwood canyons. Allegra said he believes demand for more trains in more places will grow.

Allegra also said he envisions more streetcars, and sees them as helping local development. He said many businesses are more willing to invest along streetcar lines, because tracks show permanent commitment to an area.

UTA is designing its first streetcar line from a TRAX station in South Salt Lake to the Sugar House area. Eventually, it is expected to go to the University of Utah. Another streetcar line is in long-range plans in Ogden to Weber State University. And Allegra said more may come in other communities.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...s-bus.html.csp

Image by thetransportpolitic.com

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 12:09 AM
Exit 298

Road both new lines today. I'm very impressed.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Road both new lines today. I'm very impressed.
Freudian slip?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 2:07 AM
Exit 298

D'oh! You're right.

I'll just put it this way: I'm more impressed with UTA's new TRAX lines, which I RODE today, than I am with the Provo River Contractor's expansion joints on I-15 CORE. The new pavement near American Fork 5th East is 2 miles of "clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk ..."

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 1:32 AM

The North Temple viaduct is opening on the 17th of August, one lane in each direction. It's three months ahead of schedule.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 1:40 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

It's coming along quite nicely; I'm planning on doing a big picture taking extravaganza on the 16th.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 3:21 AM
Lurker

August 17th? That's this week! I haven't seen the viaduct since my July 21st photo update.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:20 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

North Temple Viaduct Update:

The North Temple Viaduct opens to pedestrians and cars tomorrow, the light rail segment will not be completed for some time. Pardon the bad air quality, Idaho decided to have fires and blow its smoke into our valley.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:02 AM

Nice update. Pretty cool that it opens back up again tomorrow. My lady and I are catching the Front Runner up to Odgen tomorrow to have lunch and play around a bit. I'm excited to get a first-hand glance.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:47 AM

Really nice photos s.p.

Is there really 2 different lamp post schemes going on with the new viaduct? In some pictures more classic downtown lamp posts are featured alongside these bizzare green probes that look they may spew an alien death ray upon any pedestrians that may pass. Redundant lighting and they don't seem to mix well.

The last thing downtown needs is yet another lamp post theme and an alien one at that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 5:17 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
Really nice photos s.p.

Is there really 2 different lamp post schemes going on with the new viaduct? In some pictures more classic downtown lamp posts are featured alongside these bizzare green probes that look they may spew an alien death ray upon any pedestrians that may pass. Redundant lighting and they don't seem to mix well.
The last thing downtown needs is yet another lamp post theme and an alien one at that.
Lol, alien death ray comment. I then thought of War of the worlds. Great update.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 5:27 AM

It's nice to see some pics of the new transfer station as well.
Sometimes I wonder what is taking so long with the rail side of the bridge, then remember that they are building what will be the system's most complex transit station on the bridge as well, not just tracks.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 5:45 AM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing..The lamp posts aren't completely terrible..per se... Just kinda weird! I don't know if they would be my personal choice. Although I've never seen anything like it used in Utah before. Who gets to choose the lamp design and color?? Anybody know?

I think its Awesome that they are doing different colored Traffic signals! although im not sure what to think just yet about the Green Traffic signals mixed with the red cement of the trax line. Also did anyone notice that UDOT chose to use their newer straight armed Traffic light masts instead of the curved ones? I think the straight ones should be the new standard don't you?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 5:54 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
Really nice photos s.p.

I'm not sure what the deal is.. On 600 west and north temple there is red cement around the tracks, green post, and some yellowish cement crosswalks... Should be some interesting intersections considering the tracks are not in the center og the road.

I hope the eventual completely repave the area between 300&400... Looks like the east half of the sections is kind of patched together.... Might be nice to continue the center island with trees that run between w temple and 300 west.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West