HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 3:55 AM

Not running trains all the way downtown from W. Valley City and S. Jordan is a bad idea. Most of the people that use the lines are going to be headed downtown and aren't going to want to transfer trains.

Also, does anyone have a link to information on extending the University line along 400 S. to central station? I've never heard of it and can't seem to find it on UTA's website.

The current intermodal hub downtown is in a terrible location and if there was more money available, it should have been built somewhere else. But now that it's there, UTA should do everything they can to make it the actual Central Station in the system. Ideas such as building another TRAX/FrontRunner transfer station at N. Temple and having the Airport line bypass it altogether are stupid.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 4:16 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think everything that has been said is true, mostly. From everything I read this is my understanding.

The airport line will stop at the N Temple station but it will continue and terminate at Central Station.

There is a possibility that every other Sandy Train will go directly to the U rather than to Central Station.

The reason the Sandy train will be able to do this is because the S Jordan and WVC lines will both be running downtown to Central Station

I am thinking that the mis-understanding regarding the WVC line ending at 2100 S is that that is the point were it joins the main Sandy/Draper line.

If SoJo or WVC riders are needing to go to the U they can either transfer at Gallivan like riders would now, or they can transfer at any station between either 6400 S or 2100 S and Courthouse and catch the alternating Sandy line.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I think everything that has been said is true, mostly. From everything I read this is my understanding.

The airport line will stop at the N Temple station but it will continue and terminate at Central Station.

There is a possibility that every other Sandy Train will go directly to the U rather than to Central Station.

The reason the Sandy train will be able to do this is because the S Jordan and WVC lines will both be running downtown to Central Station

I am thinking that the mis-understanding regarding the WVC line ending at 2100 S is that that is the point were it joins the main Sandy/Draper line.

If SoJo or WVC riders are needing to go to the U they can either transfer at Gallivan like riders would now, or they can transfer at any station between either 6400 S or 2100 S and Courthouse and catch the alternating Sandy line.
The more I sit in meetings with UTA, the more things change and the less faith I have in them. In the last month I have heard them say completely opposite things then listed above. Only hope is for SLC to beat some sense into them.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Excellent map. UTA could literally lift that and start printing it.

Well done!

I hope they change their mind. With four lines going into downtown, the frequency will be (could be) awesome! A train every three minutes! Now that's excellent, even by my so-impatient-I-refuse-to-ride-UTA-ever-so-I-always-drive standards.
That would be nice, but it would have too large an effect on traffic patterns downtown.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 5:40 AM
BANNED

What do you mean by traffic patterns? automobile traffic patterns? Why must the automobile always get the upper hand?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 7:38 AM
Exit 298

Because cars are still awesome!!!

Source: http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...0_ca_nt_18.jpg

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 12:29 PM

I-15 declared a natural-gas corridor

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705284726,00.html

Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. refuels his natural gas-powered Chevy Suburban during a stop in Utah County to launch the I-15 natural-gas corridor.

..."We're going to see if we can do a better job at making the infrastructure available for people traveling all along I-15," the governor said, "and guarantee it's going to stimulate a whole lot more interest in this fuel called natural gas."

The Orem refueling station is one of 25 in Utah — 19 of which are owned by Questar and six are owned by the state — with additional stations planned for Beaver and Washington counties. There are also at least 50 privately owned CNG refueling stations.

Huntsman said there was little talk about cleaner air and energy efficiency when he ran for governor the first time in 2004. The second time around, however, the governor said he heard such talk everywhere he went...

..."I can tell you that we're swimming in natural gas," Jibson said. "We have large, abundant supplies that have yet to be tapped. So much of the abundant supply of natural gas is right here in our state, right in this region." ...

Questar, state to boost natural gas for vehicles
Compression upgrade will help customers with quicker fill-ups.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11691842

...Questar will open two new natural gas stations in southern Utah, and the state government will upgrade its six public-use outlets to boost capacity. The public-private moves are part of an initiative Huntsman said should encourage bordering states to build the infrastructure to make natural-gas vehicles more convenient. Utah and the nation have abundant gas preserves that can decrease dependence on foreign oil, the governor said.

"It's here," he said. "It's part
of our state. It creates jobs. It cleans the air." ...

Last edited by delts145; Feb 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 1:27 PM

Gov. Huntsman, Questar pushing for natural gas infrastructure

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/299800/17/

Governor Jon Hunstman Jr., fills up his car with natural gas Thursday, February 12, 2009 at a natural gas station in Orem. The Governor declared I-15 as a natural gas corridor with several natural gas stations to fill up. Natural gas is low in cost and in emissions. The Governor also announced that a new, bigger natural gas station will be built in Orem.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 2:57 PM
Exit 298

I like the idea of pushing CNG because we have such a huge domestic supply. The problem is the manufactures refuse to make CNG cars. And I'd be too worried I'm gonna blow up my car to convert it myself.

Still, props to the Governor. It appears he has "midas touch." He can do no wrong. lol

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 3:42 PM

The shops that do legitimate and safe conversions are getting more numerous all the time. Soon the cost of converting will be even more affordable. However, there are a number of dealers here in the Rockies where you can purchase a solid CNG vehicle for a reasonable price. The main point is that if you must own an auto, a person needs to be committed to a much cleaner mode of transportation, and also making a committment to getting rid of our dependance on foreign blackmail from the likes of the Middleast and Venezuala.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

Because cars are still awesome!!!

Source: http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...0_ca_nt_18.jpg
you make me laugh.

i don't really agree with your views, but you make me laugh anyways.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
What do you mean by traffic patterns? automobile traffic patterns? Why must the automobile always get the upper hand?
Not in San Francisco, they don't!! Muhahahaha!!! They are even fighting to cut out more lanes along surface streets to make way for more bike lanes, freight lanes, and bus lanes. Pretty soon it will be almost impossible to drive through down town SF in a car!! He he he

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 8:16 PM
NYC Rick

Interstate Freeways are owned by the US government..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Maybe we could have 4 toll plazas along I-15 that charge 50 cents each (6th South, Spagettii Bowl, I-215 Interchange, and Point of the Mountain) Price-sensative people from Magna and West Valley could skip the toll completely by going down I-80 to the 215, then down the 201, and wealthier people from Draper would pay $2. Sound fair?

Interstate Freeways are owned by the US government... thus no tolls can be charged on it. It was a good idea though

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East2Westback View Post
Interstate Freeways are owned by the US government... thus no tolls can be charged on it. It was a good idea though
While Interstates are affected by the Feds, there are tolls set up on some Interstate Highways. I-95 has tolls both in MD and in DE. However, I am not a fan myself of tolls roads, just saying they do exist on Interstate Freeways. If you want to encourage people to drive less, I would be moreso a fan of raising gas tax. Tolling freeways (especially in Utah) would encourage people to take alternate routes where gas mileage is less efficient and thus more pollution is created.

You could argue that it would provide incentive to have people take mass transit, but the cost of the mass transit is more expensive than the cost to drive in many instances. Plus it can take twice as long--so many people view it as a lose-lose scenario. Once more lines are put and if costs remain the same, then I would say we will see a greater % of people taking mass transit.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 11:42 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I was playing around with some new graphics editing software last night and put together a map showing all of the UTA rail lines that are completed or under construction. In case you hadn't realized, were going to have a pretty awesome system in a few years:

I stylized it a bit and removed some of the turns that TRAX takes in the west part of downtown because showing the exact route got pretty jumbled. I am assuming that W. Valley and Mid-Jordan trains will continue all the way into downtown.

Compare that to what we had less than 10 years ago, and you can see that we're doing pretty well as far as developing a transit network goes:

Also, I saw this on KSL.com yesterday:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5570660

The Mid-Jordan line is about a year ahead of schedule and will now open in mid-2011.
Great map! But is this where UTA plans to route the new lines. Having four and 5 light rail routes through the city center in city streets will completely stall other street traffic.

Dallas' Dart is planning to build a new light rail route through downtown Dallas to increase headways between trains in the city center for this very reason.

I would think one or more of the new lines heading south to north may turn and head east on the University Line.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 11:42 PM
BANNED

What if, instead of implementing an Interstate Highway System, our government would have implemented an Interstate Railway System?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 5:22 AM

^^^ I would LOVE to be able to hop on a hight speed train and cruise over to Denver or Vegas for the weekend... no airports, no driving... perfect!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 6:15 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
What if, instead of implementing an Interstate Highway System, our government would have implemented an Interstate Railway System?
Let's be ambitious: Let's do both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Tolling freeways (especially in Utah) would encourage people to take alternate routes where gas mileage is less efficient and thus more pollution is created.
Exactly. If they toll I-15, I'll just take Camp Williams Road thru Lehi, to American Fork Main Street, to State Street. It'd be a horrific L.O.S. Grade F road where I'd probably get 7 MPG on a single trip (the equivalency in gallons to my driving four trips on the L.O.S. Grade C freeway).

Meanwhile I-15 would be a waste of infrastructure, not getting nearly the use per dollar it could be getting if it was free, and funded by taxes.

Yes, freeways have many, many downsides, but nobody debates the fact that we gets lots of use per dollar out of them.

The old adage is still true: If you want new jobs coming to your town, then invest in infrastructure: Freeway, mass transit, airport, and telecommunications. All great uses of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAZLoVer View Post
you make me laugh. i don't really agree with your views, but you make me laugh anyways.
Thanks, man! You rock!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East2Westback View Post
The Bay Bridge in San Francisco is I-80 and they charge a $4 toll on it. In the Bay Area, there is also a toll in Vallejo (also I-80) and I-680 between Benecia and Martinez.

Quote:
Take out the word "instead" and replace it with "also" then that would be totally awesome!!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I was playing around with some new graphics editing software last night and put together a map showing all of the UTA rail lines that are completed or under construction. In case you hadn't realized, were going to have a pretty awesome system in a few years:

I stylized it a bit and removed some of the turns that TRAX takes in the west part of downtown because showing the exact route got pretty jumbled. I am assuming that W. Valley and Mid-Jordan trains will continue all the way into downtown.
Oh my bageebies!!! My heart just stopped....there goes a lung....I don't think my body can physically handle this much excitment!!!

Btw, I love how West Jordan is level with Lehi and Daybreak is level with American Fork lol So I guess that means I live on Utah Lake lol

Last edited by Urban_logic; Feb 14, 2009 at 8:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West