HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I can make assumptions too.

You act like business adaptation is simply impossible. The companies that go under due to the PST would have done so regardless.

You are acting like other provinces do not levy taxes on restaurants when in fact the majority already do.
You should maybe read what I said before you comment. The PST is proving to be a final blow to many food and beverage businesses that were already struggling. And to suggest we are "poor operators" again goes to show you need to educate yourself before you comment on issues you simply do not know enough about.

I believe the budget came out on March 22nd, and we literally had 9 days to implement it (and don't think our accountants set everything up and will administer it out of the goodness of their hearts). Sorry if you feel we didn't adapt quickly enough. Furthermore, all of our budgets were already planned for the year. Yes we plan for increased expenses, but not to the extent this budget brought in. They've hurt all small business, but it is particular worse for our industry.

Oh gosh, the job numbers came out today. Looks like there are a TON of poor business operators out there in Saskatchewan:

Saskatchewan’s job losses are outpacing growth of new positions, according to the latest employment numbers from Statistics Canada.

The July labour force survey shows the province shed 2,700 full-time jobs from June to July, while adding 2,300 part-time positions.

As a result, Saskatchewan’s unemployment rate rose from 6.5 per cent in June to 6.6 per cent in July.

You should have a chat with some small business owners around the city and see if they agree with you. I am quite confident they will laugh you out their establishments. Even Brad's pals at the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, Canadian Taxpayers Federation, Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce, Regina Chamber of Commerce, Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce and countless other business federations have slammed the Sask Party over this budget. From CJME

Last edited by Regina Boi; Aug 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Adding a quote

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
I believe the budget came out on March 22nd, and we literally had 9 days to implement it (and don't think our accountants set everything up and will administer it out of the goodness of their hearts). Sorry if you feel we didn't adapt quickly enough. Furthermore, all of our budgets were already planned for the year. Yes we plan for increased expenses, but not to the extent this budget brought in. They've hurt all small business, but it is particular worse for our industry.
It is bad policy to implement such as significant change with virtually no notice. Even the best run organization would have a tough time adjusting business plans, etc.

This said, the fact that we now charge PST on meals simply brings us in line with every other province except BC & AB. All other provinces charge between 13-15% on restaurant meals. Sask charges 11%.

So, yes - this will impact businesses, as they don't have time to prepare & adapt. Is it insurmountable? Nope - we've got 7 provinces that prove the industry can survive & thrive with consumption taxes of 13-15% on meals. Implementation was the issue in Sask. 5 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see fewer restaurants/pubs.

Getting back to our original discussion - this doesn't mean that downtown Regina is failing, I'd put money on the fact DT Regina will still have a net increase of restaurants in 2022 compared to 2012. And downtown will still be busier/more retail activity than in 2012, or 2007.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:41 PM

Fencing went up yesterday for the new 10,000sqft Sobeys Liquor at Southland Mall (on the old Turbo pad, next to CIBC).

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the 15,000sqft 'Bison Liquor' that is planned for Golden Mile (taking up most of the Extra foods space). As I understand, it can't be a transfer of one of the new liquor licensees (they can't transfer until next year, IIRC). An existing off-sale seems more likely (15,000 is a lot of space for a liquor store) - perhaps Bonzinni's is up for a move/expansion of their offsale? Anyone heard good rumours?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:32 AM

At this rate, South Albert will be all grocery and liquor stores by 2024.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:01 AM

Work also appears to have begun on the new Save-On Foods at Acre 21 (Chuka Blvd. just north of Arcola.) Also confirmed, according to the sign, are Shoppers Drug Mart, Boston Pizza, McDonald's, DQ, and Co-op gas/car wash/c-store

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Work also appears to have begun on the new Save-On Foods at Acre 21 (Chuka Blvd. just north of Arcola.) Also confirmed, according to the sign, are Shoppers Drug Mart, Boston Pizza, McDonald's, DQ, and Co-op gas/car wash/c-store
As this point, the only physical structure that is going up is the Co-op gas bar. Lots of utility work over the summer, but I do expect some of the other structures to start going up soon.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
At this rate, South Albert will be all grocery and liquor stores by 2024.
What does that say about south enders? All they do is eat and drink?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:16 PM

2 of 3 new shops (Sara Lindsay and Queen V) are open in Shoppes on Hamilton. Two Fifty Two opening this fall.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
2 of 3 new shops (Sara Lindsay and Queen V) are open in Shoppes on Hamilton. Two Fifty Two opening this fall.

[IMG][/IMG]
It's taken awhile but it's nice to see that Harvard came to their senses and offered realistic rates so good shops could go in those locations.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:56 PM

Twofiftytwo is a company out of Saskatoon. Judging by the fact they offer in house alterations and private shopping parties, this looks to be fairly high end women's clothing.

Sara Lindsay is a Regina-owned store.

Queen V originally opened in 2012 and was sold in 2016. It looks like mostly it's been pop up shops up to now. Also locally owned, I think.

Is Hamilton returning to its past as a high end clothing destination?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:04 PM

In Grasslands/Harbour Landing...

Justice Clothing (tween clothing) opening Sept 12 in the same strip at Rickis.

Structube (modern furniture) will be opening next to Designer Shoe Warehouse. No date yet.

Romantic Nails is open on the retail ground of The Residences next to the Brewhouse.

Brown's Social House is negotiating but no official announcement of a HL location.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Twofiftytwo is a company out of Saskatoon. Judging by the fact they offer in house alterations and private shopping parties, this looks to be fairly high end women's clothing.

Sara Lindsay is a Regina-owned store.

Queen V originally opened in 2012 and was sold in 2016. It looks like mostly it's been pop up shops up to now. Also locally owned, I think.

Is Hamilton returning to its past as a high end clothing destination?
The 18 block Hamilton is definitely getting some traction as a destination for local fashion retailers. You also have Oliver's in the 19 block and VIP and Dean Renwick around the corner on 12th. It is too bad Nico and Zoe's moved out of downtown when they were evicted by the Globe Theatre.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 7:25 PM

Tramps on Scarth Street is closing. It was mis-managed into the ground. 9000 square feet. I didn't realize it was that big.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...mps-is-closing

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Tramps on Scarth Street is closing. It was mis-managed into the ground. 9000 square feet. I didn't realize it was that big.

It's not. The whole building is less than 9000 and there are apartments above the store. And he's only renting.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:19 AM

Quote:

I am so excited for the redevelopment of this spot!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Brown's Social House is negotiating but no official announcement of a HL location.
Hasn't this been in the works for quite a while? The building has been sitting vacant for at least a year now.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Hasn't this been in the works for quite a while? The building has been sitting vacant for at least a year now.
Brown's expanded too fast and has no money to finish their tenant improvements.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Brown's expanded too fast and has no money to finish their tenant improvements.
Still has dirt floors.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:55 PM

I was looking at the Cornwall Centre Sears area and another thought that came to mind was one or two restaurants with street front with even atleast one on the corner of Sask Drive and Hamilton Street. Of course room for lots of new Retail on both floors, but a sit down eating option or two included in that space and maybe a street front bar/restaurant on the Hamilton Street side main floor directly across from the parking lot south of the Delta would be perfect to open up the current retro tile closed in Sears wall.

Any ideas and thoughts on what you think should happen or what you think will happen?

I also wish they would extend the mall building to the sidewalk regarding the concrete court yard between SaskTel and Sears on the north.

FIRST FLOOR

SECOND FLOOR

They have such an opportunity when Sears closes.

View from Sask Drive

View from Hamilton Street Side
https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.45182...2!8i6656?dcr=0

I feel like Sears closing is actually a huge blessing for the Cornwall Centre and its redevelopment.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Sep 18, 2017 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:08 PM

I really like the idea of getting rid of the north courtyard and extending the mall right to Sask Dr. though Sears. That courtyard is hideous.

Opening up the Sears main floor exterior walls is a must.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan