HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:46 AM

https://www.wilmingtonde.gov/Home/Co...hQxHCtcMpgG7pk

Mayor Purzycki Announces Receipt of a $2.9 Million Federal Grant to Support the Construction of the South Wilmington Wetland Project

"The grant, which totals $2,999,972, is the largest of 35 grants awarded nationwide through the National Coastal Resilience Fund...The purpose of the wetland park, scheduled to begin construction in spring of 2019, is to create a storm water management facility that will reduce flooding in Southbridge, and create a new open space for the community. The project will restore 14 acres of degraded wetland to a high-functioning freshwater tidal wetland habitat in South Wilmington with a trail system. The project will enhance coastal resiliency, improve soil and water quality, and restore habitat for a variety of fish and wetland and aquatic wildlife."

They're basically building a nature boardwalk through the wetlands...no doubt increasing the attractiveness of the east side of the riverwalk and right when the Blue Coats stadium is being built, that masive parcel of land along the river just went on the market and the RT 13 bridge/crossover is being completed.

Since Jones was made that allusion to BPG being close to anouncing something big I'd put my money on another east side Riverfront expansion.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Capano really messed up the feel of the riverfront with that fence. It makes their property look awkward and ruins that section of the riverfront...
I bet you it saves them money on property insurance though.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I bet you it saves them money on property insurance though.
Yeah, probably. But to me it looks like sort of an F-you to the people who frequent the walk and BP Group, who has built everything else along the Riverfront -- and never felt the need to put up fences around their luxury apts/condos. It's not really neighborly to me. There's literally a sidewalk/walkway from the Capano building that runs into the fence with no door (it was an entrance way to the Riverwalk -- between the two benches in my pics on the previous page).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
New Wilmington transit center coming December 2019, officials say

In just over a year, Wilmington residents and commuters should be able to board buses and make connections at a new $10 million transit center.

Adjacent to the Joe Biden Train Station, the facility is scheduled to be complete by December 2019.

"This is a game changer for the city of Wilmington," said Transportation Secretary Jennifer Cohan at a groundbreaking ceremony on Monday. "It's going to bring much-needed service to the city. ... It's going to be beautiful."

The public-private partnership will be run by Transit Center, LLC — made up of Colonial Parking, EDiS Company, and Emory Hill Real Estate Services, Inc. — on state land, officials said. It will include a multi-story garage for parking and rental cars. DelDOT said the state purchased 16 electric buses, half of which will be used in New Castle County and will be recharged at the new center.

"No more buses burping down the roads of Wilmington," she said.

The center will host most of the bus routes in Wilmington and will have room for up to 10 buses at one time "allowing bus layovers without blocking city streets," the Delaware Transit Corporation said.

Customers will have access to a covered, seated waiting area, real-time bus displays, ticket sales, WiFi, USB charging stations, restrooms, vending machines and bike racks with a bike repair station.

Gov. John Carney said the center is "just a piece of our investment" in Wilmington. The state has allocated $250 million for transportation projects around the city, he said, including a bridge over the Christina River that will connect the Riverfront to South Market Street.
More: https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ay/1986464002/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Could be worse, but not in love with the look. Looks like another parking garage, they could've done an inside sitting area with glass facing the street to help it look a bit more sleek.

Also hoping they have security guards to provide a little extra public safety on that block, also with the homeless shelter right there it might attract transients.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Could be worse, but not in love with the look. Looks like another parking garage, they could've done an inside sitting area with glass facing the street to help it look a bit more sleek.

Also hoping they have security guards to provide a little extra public safety on that block, also with the homeless shelter right there it might attract transients.
Agreed! Hopefully it will get a redesign or look better in person. This doesn't look like a "terminal".

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

Like many many many transit facilities in the US the default impulse is to use neo-traditional design, often wrecklessly and incompetently executed due to lack of designer skill or lack of budget, instead of what quit literally the majority of the first world does which is to design sophisticated, spartan and forward-looking contemporary structures. Compare this "lifestyle center" parking garage to just about any new SNCF station in France. I believe this tendency of looking backwards consciously or unconsciously communicates the message that rail travel is somehow a gimmick who's best days are in fact in the past and not in the future in this country.

For another particularly gross example check out the new Schenectady Amtrak station.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:11 PM

Wilmington Riverfront

More machines working next to the Christina Towers Saturday morning - something to come?

Bridge across the Christina making good progress:

(zoom in and you can see the 76ers logo on the front of the 76ers Fieldhouse, new home of the Delaware Blue Coats - opening Jan. 4, 2019)

New art sculpture - a part of the #WilmLove campaign:

BP Group's new hotel is topped out - Homewood Suites by Hilton:

Big Fish/Onix - hotel/ballroom - Hyatt Place Riverfront:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 1:35 AM

Looks good ^

Last edited by jonesrmj; Nov 25, 2018 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 7:38 PM

One Ardmore Place:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Brandywine Realty to develop new office building in Plymouth Meeting

Brandywine Realty Trust is moving forward with the development of Metroplex Two, an 11-story, 280,000-square-foot office building off Chemical Road in Plymouth Meeting.
More: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...emical-rd.html

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Is this actually happening? I remember hearing about it ages ago...does the article have any dates? I can't see past the paywall.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Is this actually happening? I remember hearing about it ages ago...does the article have any dates? I can't see past the paywall.
There are no dates, however given that it's fully approved, this is Brandywine and they article says "moving forward", I imagine the subtext is that they will start construction imminently.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 9:08 PM

Nice looking building.
It's a shame that the PM Mall has been on the decline.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 9:16 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Losing Macy hurt the Mall. There's been construction fencing and dumpsters on the premise and some exterior/interior work from hallowing out the space. I'm hopeful they can attract new tenants once the Mall modernizes. One of the main problems with PM is getting in and out of the Mall and with Whole Foods and other retailers there, it's hard to get out at the main intersection light during peak hours and weekends.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 3:30 PM

76ers Fieldhouse - Wilmington

Opening Jan. 4, 2019 -- construction time about 14 months for a 2,500 seat venue, sports training facility -- pretty impressive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq0cpQ0n0QU/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Nice looking building.
Can they put apartments there? That's PREITs long-range plan for all of their suburban malls, no? I believe that was inferred from one of their earnings call this past year.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 7:43 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Nice looking building.
Without referencing any sales figures and just by eyeballing I am going to say that it is no longer on the decline and on the weekends it is quite busy, the Lego store and some other things did work to draw the people in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Losing Macy hurt the Mall. There's been construction fencing and dumpsters on the premise and some exterior/interior work from hallowing out the space. I'm hopeful they can attract new tenants once the Mall modernizes. One of the main problems with PM is getting in and out of the Mall and with Whole Foods and other retailers there, it's hard to get out at the main intersection light during peak hours and weekends.
Yes! They need to spend some $ to redesign that, it's awful.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 8:11 PM

Sweet building! Anyone have an idea on when the 2 high rises in Conshohocken are starting? Between this, and those 2, it will be cool to see 3 high rises going up at the same time in the burbs all in close vicinity. Plus, potential for a 3rd in Conshohocken.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Sweet building! Anyone have an idea on when the 2 high rises in Conshohocken are starting? Between this, and those 2, it will be cool to see 3 high rises going up at the same time in the burbs all in close vicinity. Plus, potential for a 3rd in Conshohocken.
Demolition to make way for the Sora west project started within the past week or so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations