HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sure, though the part where sand meets water ("the beach") is pretty flat.

Due to the granular nature of sand, I think sandy beaches can't be anything but nearly totally flat (i.e. you will never find a steep cliff where land meets water).

But obviously, there can be mountains nearby. (For the record, Metro News One, I definitely don't consider "having mountains nearby" as a core criterion to judge a beach.)
is that suppose to be an insult to me?

That is great for you, but again others do consider the surrounding scenery / topography as part of the beach experience.

Hence I would place any beach surrounded by cliffs, mountains, coves, natural arcs, etc... above that of a beach in Florida where there is usually not a mountain, cliff, or any other such feature to be seen for hundreds of miles.

Not everyone is like you

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 10:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sure, though the part where sand meets water ("the beach") is pretty flat.

Due to the granular nature of sand, I think sandy beaches can't be anything but nearly totally flat (i.e. you will never find a steep cliff where land meets water).

But obviously, there can be mountains nearby. (For the record, Metro News One, I definitely don't consider "having mountains nearby" as a core criterion to judge a beach.)
ever been to Molokai?

touropia

Ireland:

touropia

worth a few moments for dramatic vistas: http://www.touropia.com/most-dramati...-in-the-world/
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 6:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a nice photo of Crystal Crescent beach, one of the more popular ones in the Halifax area.

Source

Lawrencetown, on the Dartmouth side. Popular with surfers, some of whom go year-round.

Source

There are also a lot of small lakeside beaches. This one is Chocolate Lake.

Source

Here's a similar one next to Lockeport, NS. I didn't know that town was on a little peninsula next to some beaches.

Source

Carter's Beach, near Liverpool.

Source

Ingonish Beach, Cape Breton.

Source

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 5:15 AM

That Carter's Beach, near Liverpool looks really cute! The type of ocean beach setting that I really enjoy

Here are a few pics I took from Penticton, which would be my nomination for BC's "Beach City." The city is sandwiched between two large beautiful lakes with beaches stretching across them.

This is the beach on the north side (Okanagan Beach) on the south shore of Okanagan Lake.

This area gets a true beach city vibe IMO and is quite an interesting place to just people watch for the afternoon.

Okanagan Beach, Penticton by Ian, on Flickr

Nothing better than eating some locally grown melons while watching melons at the beach

Penticton Summer Fun by Ian, on Flickr

Walking Along Lakeshore Drive by Ian, on Flickr

Okanagan Beach Fun by Ian, on Flickr

Sunny Okanagan Beach by Ian, on Flickr

Penticton Living by Ian, on Flickr

Pics are my own.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 8:13 PM

Poor Cobourg beach is a shadow of itself for one of its busiest weekends. Record high rainfall and lake levels have it at half of its normal size and the usually white powder sand is dark and hard pack with puddles everywhere.

Contrast with normal sand conditions

Cobourg Beach by l2oni2915, on Flickr

Still one of the best midway location you'll find though!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Poor Cobourg beach is a shadow of itself for one of its busiest weekends. Record high rainfall and lake levels have it at half of its normal size and the usually white powder sand is dark and hard pack with puddles everywhere.
Yeah, the high water levels have really screwed up beach season here as well. Hanlan's (the best in the city, IMO) is closed. Not that the weather this year has proven conducive to public nudity . . .

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 7:03 PM

Are the islands open at all?

I went and checked out Cobourg beach today actually. People still enjoying what is left of it lol.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:50 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
That Carter's Beach, near Liverpool looks really cute! The type of ocean beach setting that I really enjoy

Here are a few pics I took from Penticton, which would be my nomination for BC's "Beach City." The city is sandwiched between two large beautiful lakes with beaches stretching across them.

This is the beach on the north side (Okanagan Beach) on the south shore of Okanagan Lake.

This area gets a true beach city vibe IMO and is quite an interesting place to just people watch for the afternoon.

Okanagan Beach, Penticton by Ian, on Flickr

Nothing better than eating some locally grown melons while watching melons at the beach

Penticton Summer Fun by Ian, on Flickr

Walking Along Lakeshore Drive by Ian, on Flickr

Okanagan Beach Fun by Ian, on Flickr

Sunny Okanagan Beach by Ian, on Flickr

Penticton Living by Ian, on Flickr

Pics are my own.
nice, but I prefer Skaha lake for swimming in Penticton.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:58 AM

Love Skaha too.

Best thing is to float down from lake Okanagan to Skaha on a tube with a beer in your hand.

This Canada Day weekend would have been perfect for that, sunny and 34 yesterday and today.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:02 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Love Skaha too.

Best thing is to float down from lake Okanagan to Skaha on a tube with a beer in your hand.

This Canada Day weekend would have been perfect for that, sunny and 34 yesterday and today.
Sounds like a great trip. I recall spending one Canada day a few years back (2009) with same-day swims in Okanagan, Skaha, Vaseux and Osoyoos Lakes. Much beer was consumed. Good times. The latter lake was during the fireworks, which are spectacular in Osoyoos.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:09 AM

Now that sounds like a spectacular Canada Day.

Did you have access to a boat (everyone in the Okanagan has a friend with a boat) or just beach hopping it?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:24 AM

Ya Kootenay beer! Our original local beer before Kokanee and all the Nelson beer afterwards.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:08 AM

Willows Beach, Victoria.

http://victoriadailyphoto.blogspot.ca/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 11:58 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Now that sounds like a spectacular Canada Day.

Did you have access to a boat (everyone in the Okanagan has a friend with a boat) or just beach hopping it?
beach hopping. We started in Lake Okanagan in Penticton and worked our way down. I was staying in Osoyoos back then.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 2:30 PM
Community Guy

Port Elgin, Ontario on Lake Huron. My favourite.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:10 AM

I was just at Queensland Beach provincial park outside of Halifax last week. Amazing! Wonderful weather, quite warm water, beautiful sand...

So nice to find a spot with warm(er) water on the Atlantic side of Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:49 PM
HVAC guru

Many BC lakes have very nice beaches but my favorite is the beach at Kokanee Creek, on the west arm of Kootenay Lake

I've spent many an hour here in my happy place

www.westkootenayparks.com

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:02 PM
Community Guy

Very nice!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Many BC lakes have very nice beaches but my favorite is the beach at Kokanee Creek, on the west arm of Kootenay Lake

I've spent many an hour here in my happy place

www.westkootenayparks.com
That looks spectacular! I need to explore BC more. Damn.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:01 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Port Elgin, Ontario on Lake Huron. My favourite.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
Wow. Lake Huron is wonderful when you get further north. Though I just came to the rather unhappy realization that while beach towns looking west onto Great Lakes enjoy lovely sunsets, they're also in the direct line of fire for lake effect snow.

There is no justice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada