HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:15 PM
Jamie Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Curbed with the scoop on the new Start Metals project:
"Star Metals, led by developer Allen Morris, is planning a 175-foot-tall, 150-key hotel at the corner of Howell Mill Road and Edgehill Avenue.

Fans of the eateries near the 0.7-acre project site needn’t worry, said Nathan Hedges, director of development for Allen Morris.

La Fonda Latina and the Greater Good BBQ won’t be impacted by the $100 million hotel’s construction, which is slated to kick off in the third quarter of 2019, Hedges tells Curbed Atlanta.

The hotel, however, will replace a law office and furniture store (Direct Furniture Outlet) currently operating at the site. A specific hotel brand wasn’t specified; tentatively, it’s being called Star Metals Hotel."

Also to include 6 condos. Lmao. Condo construction has been dismal in Atlanta.
Given this info, I've mapped on my map what appears to be the lot for the proposed hotel:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...301530701&z=19

The article says it is a 0.7-acre lot; however, that lot is only 0.621 acres. Maybe they are just rounding up, though, as there aren't any smaller surrounding lots that would put it at closer to 0.7 acres.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan1023 View Post

The article says it is a 0.7-acre lot; however, that lot is only 0.621 acres. Maybe they are just rounding up, though, as there aren't any smaller surrounding lots that would put it at closer to 0.7 acres.
3k tweeted out a rendering of the southeast corner of North Ave & Northside:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...283440148&z=17

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:35 PM
Jamie Jordan

Quote:
3k tweeted out a rendering of the southeast corner of North Ave & Northside:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...283440148&z=17
Added: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...551575041&z=17

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Awesome, thank you! Great collection of projects.
Here's the rendering for those interested:

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:21 PM
Jamie Jordan

Quote:
Awesome, thank you! Great collection of projects.
Thanks! If you happen to see any projects that I don't have included on the map, please be sure to let me know. I try to keep it as updated and comprehensive as possible.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Given this info, I've mapped on my map what appears to be the lot for the proposed hotel:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...301530701&z=19

New rendering in ABC

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-for-west.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
There are some REALLY odd scale things happening in this rendering--

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:31 PM

Pleazzzeee, do tell...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
There are some REALLY odd scale things happening in this rendering--
This rendering seems highly speculative, yet refined at the same time – confusing.

There seems to be some issues with image’s perspective and the rendered surface planes. The sidewalk seems skewed and the retail space’s flooring, walls and figure placement appear slightly skewed as well.
Not sure about the building itself, since it may follow different lines in actuality.

Even more bewildering is the fact that the architect would be willing to place pedestrian steps next to seating arranged in the form of steps without a railing to differentiate the two areas, especially given the fact that people walk and text at the same time.

Nothing like welcoming a lawsuit.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:06 PM

I like the building but it appears to me the original rendering of the building overall isn’t the same scale throughout. It appears to have 4 story street lights and other parts seem skewed. I’ve looked at the renderings over and over and I agree. The different parts are just not the same scale throughout.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:48 PM

3k tweeted about Upper Westside Lofts @1205 Collier Rd (website seems kinda shoddy, so IDK how legit it is):

"Ground level leasable mixed-use retail
6,800 square feet available at sidewalk level with drive thru window and customer parking"
https://upperwestsidelofts.com/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Curbed with the scoop on the new Start Metals project:
"Star Metals, led by developer Allen Morris, is planning a 175-foot-tall, 150-key hotel at the corner of Howell Mill Road and Edgehill Avenue.

Fans of the eateries near the 0.7-acre project site needn’t worry, said Nathan Hedges, director of development for Allen Morris.

La Fonda Latina and the Greater Good BBQ won’t be impacted by the $100 million hotel’s construction, which is slated to kick off in the third quarter of 2019, Hedges tells Curbed Atlanta.

The hotel, however, will replace a law office and furniture store (Direct Furniture Outlet) currently operating at the site. A specific hotel brand wasn’t specified; tentatively, it’s being called Star Metals Hotel."

Also to include 6 condos. Lmao. Condo construction has been dismal in Atlanta.
Honestly, I'd hope they redevelop that GG BBQ area soonish, that space is constantly flipping over because there is no indoor seating, foot traffic or parking.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
There seems to be some issues with image’s perspective and the rendered surface planes. The sidewalk seems skewed and the retail space’s flooring, walls and figure placement appear slightly skewed as well.
Not sure about the building itself, since it may follow different lines in actuality.

Even more bewildering is the fact that the architect would be willing to place pedestrian steps next to seating arranged in the form of steps without a railing to differentiate the two areas, especially given the fact that people walk and text at the same time.
The sidewalk texture is weird but there's nothing wrong with the perspective, all the lines are moving toward a consistent vanishing point. The retail space is on the first floor, below the spot on the stairs you're focusing on. I think y'all are getting tripped up by the angles of the building and those stairs.

Speaking of the stairs, I've seen that "stairs next to benches" thing in about 30,000 different places now so I doubt this application will be particularly litigation-inducing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:00 PM

I’ll start by saying I enjoy this project a lot overall, especially the design, some wide sidewalks, and creative use of murals and art (which I REALLY hope are implemented)

It’s a bit unfortunate there is going to be a giant wall along Howell Mill and a narrow sidewalk (bottom right of the image below, also seen in the zoomed in image to the right of the steps). Hopefully there’s a pedestrian entrance to the retail and elevated spot on the south side of the development as not to limit access/flow:

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I’ll start by saying I enjoy this project a lot overall, especially the design, some wide sidewalks, and creative use of murals and art (which I REALLY hope are implemented)

It’s a bit unfortunate there is going to be a giant wall along Howell Mill and a narrow sidewalk (bottom right of the image below, also seen in the zoomed in image to the right of the steps). Hopefully there’s a pedestrian entrance to the retail and elevated spot on the south side of the development as not to limit access/flow:
Don't ever, ever, ever believe renderings. These are typically sent to China or India to be produced, and the folks who make them are prone to mistakes.

This site requires a rezoning and the City will require 15 foot sidewalks on Howell Mill Road.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Last edited by Terminus; Nov 25, 2018 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 5:10 PM

Not the most inspiring photo, but here’s groundwork at the Boulevard (actually located on Glen Iris) and Novel in the background:

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:22 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:24 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:26 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 12:32 AM
Topher’s 2 cents

I really wish they would build this all at once.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations