HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 5:02 PM

Hypothetical discussion - Other locations that would be good for re-development?

Since the initial hypothetical discussion on Scotia Square and my thread on Agricola and Gottingen street - I wanted to see what people thought about other sites that might be good locations where we could think about change in HRM?

I don't want to put my opinons here yet - but I want to see what we can come up with...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 9:29 PM

I think Shannon Park is an obvious one. That site has so much potential. And of course the Cogswell Interchange. I think along with the interchange it would be interesting to look at what could be done along Barrington North of the interchange.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 9:53 PM

There's a whole slew of them around HRM without expanding into the wilderness more;

- Grain Elevators
- Cogswell
- Forum Lands
- Oland Brewery (Hydrostone)
- Birch Cove
- Mill Cove
- Brightwood
- Ashburn
- Sunset Cove (I'll post a map in a minute since nobody else probably knows this place)
- Shannon Park
- Windmill Road DND Lands (Sub repair area)
- Dartmouth Shopping Centre (Wyse/Green/Nantucket triangle)

And a whole lot more areas around HRM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:07 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Shannon Park is a must. With Trinity Harbour View going in up the hill now it would be nice if they had something nice to look at from up there. That something would be a Stadium of course! As much as I would like to see high-rises there I just don't think they would be an easy sell given that area has a power station and Bridge on either side of it. Noise pollution and the occasional smell from the NSP site would make it difficult. I suppose the stadium would face the smell but bridge noise would not be an issue.
Yum! Popcorn, Hot-Dogs and Power Plant. I can smell it now.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Shannon Park is a must. With Trinity Harbour View going in up the hill now it would be nice if they had something nice to look at from up there. That something would be a Stadium of course! As much as I would like to see high-rises there I just don't think they would be an easy sell given that area has a power station and Bridge on either side of it. Noise pollution and the occasional smell from the NSP site would make it difficult. I suppose the stadium would face the smell but bridge noise would not be an issue.
You might be able to incorporate residential if you used the stadium and some other things as a buffer between them. I'd also add that if that's going to go at that location - a ferry terminal will be a must.

I see Quinpool Road as an interesting spot that has potential - the same with the Canada Post site on Almond. If that had to move because it outgrew the site, it would be an amazing opportunity. That new condo building that went up near Sobey's could be a very good context to set for how the area could develop, with some office development thrown in. It's along a great number of bus routes so would be quite condusive to transit.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
There's a whole slew of them around HRM without expanding into the wilderness more;

- Grain Elevators
- Cogswell
- Forum Lands
- Oland Brewery (Hydrostone)
- Birch Cove
- Mill Cove
- Brightwood
- Ashburn
- Sunset Cove (I'll post a map in a minute since nobody else probably knows this place)
- Shannon Park
- Windmill Road DND Lands (Sub repair area)
- Dartmouth Shopping Centre (Wyse/Green/Nantucket triangle)

And a whole lot more areas around HRM.
Wow great list! I love it.

My only problem with Brightwood is their viewplane. I don't agree with having a viewplane from a piece of land that wasn't held by the city. My thought would be get rid of it; because you do two things: By getting rid of it; you open up about 80% of downtown Dartmouth to higher heights and so there could be more towers on the Dartmouth Side.

The second (which is a negative for any development at brightwood) is that you may create view obsticles - but depending on what you put there; does it really matter? Views aren't a fundamental right - except if you are citadell hill!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
My only problem with Brightwood is their viewplane. I don't agree with having a viewplane from a piece of land that wasn't held by the city.

The second (which is a negative for any development at brightwood) is that you may create view obsticles - but depending on what you put there; does it really matter? Views aren't a fundamental right - except if you are citadell hill!
The main problem with Brightwood is that the councillor for the area will not allow consideration of any development of the site, since she is a member and likes playing golf there. She singlehandedly scuttled a proposal for the site 3-4 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The main problem with Brightwood is that the councillor for the area will not allow consideration of any development of the site, since she is a member and likes playing golf there. She singlehandedly scuttled a proposal for the site 3-4 years ago.
Thats good in a way. When she's ousted as councillor maybe we can get a councillor with a little more vision and get the viewplane bylaw lifted.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:03 AM

Quote:
I would love Shannon Park to be developed, however there are two issues that would need to be resolved. One is the environmental issues on the site, and second there is questions surrounding how much of the lands are owned by the federal government. Mi'kmaq from the Millbrook Reserve have applied for a portion of the land.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:04 AM

Quote:
You might be able to incorporate residential if you used the stadium and some other things as a buffer between them. I'd also add that if that's going to go at that location - a ferry terminal will be a must.

I see Quinpool Road as an interesting spot that has potential - the same with the Canada Post site on Almond. If that had to move because it outgrew the site, it would be an amazing opportunity. That new condo building that went up near Sobey's could be a very good context to set for how the area could develop, with some office development thrown in. It's along a great number of bus routes so would be quite condusive to transit.
One site i've always had a good feeling about was the redevelopment of the Ben's bakery site on quinpool.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I never even thought of the Bakery. Anyone live in that area? Would the residents around be opposed to a Tower on that site? Nearest one is Atlantica Hotel right?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I never even thought of the Bakery. Anyone live in that area? Would the residents around be opposed to a Tower on that site?
Of course they would oppose it -- this is Halifax.

"We're not Toronto!"

"It's too TALL!!!!"

Keep in mind that this area is the home of anti-development and heritage loons Commissar Howard Epstein and Jennifer Watts. You'd be lucky to get anything above 2 storeys past them.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:09 PM
we built this city

All of the lands between robie and windsor north of young... I wouldn't mind some towers in there and the stadium!!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
All of the lands between robie and windsor north of young... I wouldn't mind some towers in there and the stadium!!!
Isn't that DND land mostly? If you could get that out - would be a good spot, great transportation links.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
South of Yonge as well, around the Post Office, Piercy's and the Forum, even down towards Agricola there is a lot of land around the brewery as others have pointed out. That area's money in my opinion, but will be a mess to develop well without strong secondary planning and a lot of commitment from HRM. Either way it's probably a long ways out, still a lot of vacant land closer to downtown with less hassles.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:34 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Isn't that DND land mostly? If you could get that out - would be a good spot, great transportation links.
DND should sell the lands to various groups (City, MetroTransit, private developers) and use the money to setup shop in less of a prime location.

I could see a major transportation hub here, some retail, residential, and potentially a stadium!

That area isn't appropriate for its current usage and I think car dealerships (with the exception of expensive imports) should move off peninsula.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:30 AM

The Dairy Queen on Spring Garden is what I want to see gone the most, South Park would look massive with a condo tower in that spot.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:34 AM

looks like the HRM has already looked into what this thread is titled take a look:
http://www.halifax.ca/regionalplanni...unitySites.pdf

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:33 AM

Here's a logical one in the "bomming" part of town;

The radio/tv concrete block building on North Street between Robie and Agricola. Its currently broken into seven lots (three on Agricola, one on Willow, one on North, and the building itself is two lots).

I figure there's two possible scenarios;

1) The street layout could be left as is providing for continuous street frontage and more potential for high density. Low-rise retail/office use along North Street, townhouses or detached lots along Willow Street, a mid-rise along Agricola, and set back in the lot two high-rise towers with acess off of North Street.

2) Another idea would be to install a dividing street in line with John Street (a block south). This would increase street frontage and reduce the developable amount of land but could be good for the neighbourhood if done correctly. Willow would see townhouses rising and North would still see retail/office building(s). The new street would have townhouses to the west and a mid-rise building to the east acting as a base for a single high-rise tower placed near the centre (around the current radio tower location). Agricola would still get a mid-rise building with ground floor retail and possibly a second entrance to the high-rise.

With the McCully project abandoned I think the Agricola building should be office or hotel space to make the neighbourhood more attractive to all people. If developed correctly it could be as changing for the neighbourhood as Glastone Ridge.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:38 AM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
The Dairy Queen on Spring Garden is what I want to see gone the most, South Park would look massive with a condo tower in that spot.
I agree majorly with this idea. I've mentioned to my buddies many times that the corner of Spring Garden and South Park st where the DQ is could pull off a tower. I think a tower there would compelete that entire stretch of South Park up to Citadel Hill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General