HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 3:00 PM

I wish they chose a lighter colour or something more fun.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 4:17 PM

I dig the dark look.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 9:54 PM
Hammer'd

I actually like it. Simple but fresh. The only problem is that the rest of the buildings don't match.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 2:55 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Great improvement.. Out of towners will see lots of potential and current construction.

Is this the Mex-E-Coli building?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 5:56 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Great improvement.. Out of towners will see lots of potential and current construction.

Is this the Mex-E-Coli building?
Mex-I-Can was in the building next to it, with the old FLOOR-TEX ads on it. It's supposed to be demolished at some point.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 6:02 PM

Mex-I-Can Demolition by Joe, on Flickr

Mex-I-Can Demolition by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 4:00 PM

That is quite the gap tooth created on what was previously a solid street wall on James North. Did the developers of this site submit a reconstruction plan to the city before the demolition permit was granted?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
That is quite the gap tooth created on what was previously a solid street wall on James North. Did the developers of this site submit a reconstruction plan to the city before the demolition permit was granted?
Yeah I'd hardly call that a solid street wall. They definitely do have a plan. Lucas Mascotto and I spoke to one of the developers and they do have something in motion, however building new is a longer process than renovating a building.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 11:41 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
however building new is a longer process than renovating a building.
Some developers in this town might have you believe otherwise...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 11:47 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Some developers in this town might have you believe otherwise...
Well renovating can have more surprises which might lead to unexpected expenses and delays for those with limited cash, so in some cases it's justified.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 12:15 AM

Ya. Count me as one who wasnt sorry to see that old building go. It wasnt anything great.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 1:07 PM

While I'm not sad to see it go, I still don't like the idea of developers knocking down buildings without submitting site plans to the city...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 1:47 PM

I've spoken with the developers multiple times regarding this property and was actually granted one last tour before the knockdown. To be entirely fair, the building was not up to health code and the amount of re-wiring, re-plumbing, and infrastructural work that had to be done did not justify the cost especially when the developers were only salvaging a two story slant roof shack. What is being put in it's place is a building that is the same height and roughly same style as the two other structures next to it. The new build will actually make a more even and complete street wall. However, I must acknowledge that it does come with the destruction and removal of a much-beloved restaurant. That being said, we must not let our notions of nostalgia distort the reality that the building was a long time health and safety disaster and housed a crack den before the restaurant.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 3:06 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the original building before the building that was just demolished?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
I've spoken with the developers multiple times regarding this property and was actually granted one last tour before the knockdown. To be entirely fair, the building was not up to health code and the amount of re-wiring, re-plumbing, and infrastructural work that had to be done did not justify the cost especially when the developers were only salvaging a two story slant roof shack. What is being put in it's place is a building that is the same height and roughly same style as the two other structures next to it. The new build will actually make a more even and complete street wall. However, I must acknowledge that it does come with the destruction and removal of a much-beloved restaurant. That being said, we must not let our notions of nostalgia distort the reality that the building was a long time health and safety disaster and housed a crack den before the restaurant.
Glad to see it go, and assuming they make good on their plan, hopefully it encourages the endcap at York to either sell or become part of the renaissance

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 6:46 PM

I think it's a shame that this building was destroyed. As I've stated elsewhere, good architecture does not necessarily equal good urban design. This building was not magnificent but it was built to the sidewalk and featured a wide, continually glazed frontage, something that is rare on a street with mostly narrow storefronts. It suited the restaurant use perfectly and I always found walking by that there were always people sitting near the windows. This is a great example of the interaction between inside and outside spaces that you read about from Jane Jacobs and other urban theorists.

Diversity in architecture is good for the neighbourhood even it means some architecture is better than others. I would not want to live in a sterile neighbourhood full of new and newly renovated buildings even if they all get the urban design right. It would feel like the suburbs.

There is also a cultural diversity aspect that seems to be overlooked. When these old buildings are wiped out and replaced with more expensive new construction the end result is overwhelmingly a less ethnically diverse collection of businesses. This limits the demographic appeal of the area.

Not every building should be saved but every building that comes down has consequences beyond the aesthetic. There are still many empty lots downtown to build on and there are buildings that are truly unsalvageable and empty. They should be the first targets of the renaissance.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 7:25 PM

Quote:
I think it's a shame that this building was destroyed. As I've stated elsewhere, good architecture does not necessarily equal good urban design. This building was not magnificent but it was built to the sidewalk and featured a wide, continually glazed frontage, something that is rare on a street with mostly narrow storefronts. It suited the restaurant use perfectly and I always found walking by that there were always people sitting near the windows. This is a great example of the interaction between inside and outside spaces that you read about from Jane Jacobs and other urban theorists.

Diversity in architecture is good for the neighbourhood even it means some architecture is better than others. I would not want to live in a sterile neighbourhood full of new and newly renovated buildings even if they all get the urban design right. It would feel like the suburbs.

There is also a cultural diversity aspect that seems to be overlooked. When these old buildings are wiped out and replaced with more expensive new construction the end result is overwhelmingly a less ethnically diverse collection of businesses. This limits the demographic appeal of the area.

Not every building should be saved but every building that comes down has consequences beyond the aesthetic. There are still many empty lots downtown to build on and there are buildings that are truly unsalvageable and empty. They should be the first targets of the renaissance.
uh

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 10:21 PM

Not sure this will work, but shame

Last edited by King&James; Sep 27, 2015 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 1:03 AM

Any recent shots of this block?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 1:26 AM

It looks pretty much the same. No major changes to report

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton