HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:57 PM

Yeah I never got that about Calgary, living there and working downtown for two years. Placed just emptied out all the time except Stampede or Flames playoff run. I've also lived in Kamloops during the summer and didn't find it as lively as you say...sure people were around but it's not bustling. Kelowna meanwhile, is jam-packed downtown. Yes it'd benefit from a bit of modernity, big-city architecture and revitalization of some older buildings there but it's not like it's being kept from being what it is without it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 7:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
But if you take Calgary's downtown (where I live). Large city with tall buildings, and the place is a ghost town after 6. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Yeah I never got that about Calgary, living there and working downtown for two years. Placed just emptied out all the time except Stampede or Flames playoff run.
That's because unlike other big Canadian cities, Calgary's downtown has virtually no residential buildings, it's all office towers. Los Angeles has the same problem

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 11:18 PM

With Ella and Brooklyn (if it materializes) things would change drastically. Anyone know how many residences (or beds) will these projects add?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:26 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Yeah I never got that about Calgary, living there and working downtown for two years. Placed just emptied out all the time except Stampede or Flames playoff run. I've also lived in Kamloops during the summer and didn't find it as lively as you say...sure people were around but it's not bustling. Kelowna meanwhile, is jam-packed downtown. Yes it'd benefit from a bit of modernity, big-city architecture and revitalization of some older buildings there but it's not like it's being kept from being what it is without it.
Edmonton is th same way as well. Pretty busy during the work day but asside for a few select spots dies completely after 5pm. Kamloops has more of a steady workday crowd but it does die off after hours. Kelowna is a litte sleepy during the off season but in summer it’s packed all the time. Even in Vernon, during the ski season it’s pretty busy around town. Not like the summer obviously but still some activity

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:38 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
That's because unlike other big Canadian cities, Calgary's downtown has virtually no residential buildings, it's all office towers. Los Angeles has the same problem
A lot depends on what one considers "downtown". If "downtown" means only the CBD, then its true that downtown Calgary is nearly exclusively office towers (and is dreadfully quiet after 6 pm). If "downtown" includes the beltline, then I don't think downtown Calgary is particularly quiet after 6 pm (at least not by small city North American standards).
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:29 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
A lot depends on what one considers "downtown". If "downtown" means only the CBD, then its true that downtown Calgary is nearly exclusively office towers (and is dreadfully quiet after 6 pm). If "downtown" includes the beltline, then I don't think downtown Calgary is particularly quiet after 6 pm (at least not by small city North American standards).
Downtown in Calgary is usually considered anything north of the CPR tracks, west of the Elbow River, east of 14th Street SW and south of the Bow River and that area does contain a number of residential buildings as well as one single family home that is still occupied as a home. As far as Calgary's CBD, I'm not sure what the boundaries of that is because there are no definitive lines - there are condo buildings pretty right across the road for the Calgary Tower and just two blocks north of the Calgary Tower is the TELUS Sky building which is a mix of office space and residential rental units.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:57 AM

Calgary's downtown is completely .

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaResident View Post
Calgary's downtown is completely .
Indeed it is! Let's keep this thread about Kelowna and all the exciting downtown development that is FINALLY happening.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:32 AM
BANNED

^They're not preventing anyone from posting about Kelowna construction so there's nothing wrong with a little digression. Speaking of which:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Who considers Calgary a small city? Kingston? Maybe. Calgary? Not even close

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:38 AM

No but it is fucking annoying for people who want to see updates regarding Kelowna every time this thread is bumped but instead get long winded rants about Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 6:03 PM

Indeed, apologies to have stoked the discussion earlier.

Was at Kelowna over the long weekend and One Water St. is coming along nicely. It really is a city of contrasts still; incredibly modern along the waterfront and the main tourism stretch, breathtaking beauty along the wine route but still a bit suburban-looking and dated outside of these areas. I think Kelowna would do well to continue focusing on the developments in the downtown core, it's really shaping itself up to be a landmark identity of BC and tourists no longer think of the Okanagan as only "wine country" but one anchored by vibrant & lively CBD.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:22 PM

Good news for Ellis Parc...

Quote:
Work on highrise set to resume

Ron Seymour Jul 5, 2018 Updated 9 hrs ago

Construction should resume next week on a Kelowna highrise that was hit with a stop-work order two months ago.

Permits allowing the resumption of work on the 14-storey Ellis Parc project, being built at the corner of Ellis Street and Water Street, will be issued within a few days, city building inspection services manager Doug Patan said Thursday.

“We feel very good with regards to this project as it it moves forward again,” Patan said.

The stop-work order was issued when cracks opened up in Ellis Street as crews were building the tower’s foundation. Vibrations from the construction activity caused the cracks, Patan said.

After the order was issued, the developer, R.G. Properties, was required to get a peer review done of the building’s structural plan. The city has received that review and is awaiting some additional information before issuing the necessary permits, Patan said.

R.G. Properties, which built the adjacent Prospera Place arena 20 years ago, has also now submitted a de-watering plan for Ellis Parc. That’s required because the building’s parkade will be located below ground in an area with a high water table.

When work begins, crews will also take the opportunity to excavate Ellis Street to its mid-point so an aging water main can be replaced, Patan said. R.G. Properties will pay for that project.
From: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/bu...e90a8ef10.html

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:39 PM

Glad to see Ellis Parc starting up again soon, will be cool to this and One Water Street under construction right across the street at the same time!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 4:59 AM

^can't wait to be in Kelowna a month from now for 2 weeks of fun!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 5:14 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'll be in Kelowna in 3 weeks. I'll definitely take some pictures of these construction sites, and post them here.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 10:33 AM

Will be in Kelowna myself for a night or two in early August

Camera in hand.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 10:57 AM
be nice to the crackheads

We might be there at the same time. If so, beer or two?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 11:12 AM

That just might be a good idea

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:57 PM

Brooklyn is having their preview event this Thursday in downtown Vancouver at the Marriott 5-7pm. Perhaps someone here can report back?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaResident View Post
Brooklyn is having their preview event this Thursday in downtown Vancouver at the Marriott 5-7pm. Perhaps someone here can report back?
Really an indication of where new developments in Kelowna are selling. I'm not surprised, I know people from the Lower Mainland who have made the move.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia