HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 8:46 PM

@ATL_J, thank you very much! So there's an RFP out for phase II lofts are reynoldstown. If anyone else finds a project schedule or when bids are due, please feel free to share!

Edit: proposals due 6/9. No word on preferred construction start or delivery timeline. Preferred development to have 118 residential units w/15% 3 bedrooms and 1,000 sq. Ft retail.

http://beltline.org/wp-content/blogs...lDrLoftsII.pdf

Last edited by Street Advocate; May 9, 2017 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:04 PM

Random pics- not the best angles and I need to figure out how to crop the size from the imgur app:

Alta on the park doing its best Azure impression with the terrible southern blank concrete facade:

Alta and the 10th st renovation:

Tons of cranes in midtown, wish I saw how Ascent is coming along!:

Last edited by Street Advocate; May 10, 2017 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Just like midtown promenade. Sure it was built and it was used, but it would have been a lot better if they developed it appropriately the first time around instead of dealing with decade+ leases that prolong redevelopment of a massive amount of underutilized land.
My point is that east side residents, who all seem to hate the shopping centers, shop there anyway because there are few other options in the area that provide the variety of goods seen there. It was really convenient to go to Midtown Place when I moved to that area in 2004.

I think Midtown Place (Whole Foods, Home Depot) was the property with the decades-long leases, not Midtown Promenade. Despite the increasing walkability of the area now, when both were built (before year 2000) they catered to the mostly single family neighborhoods that still surround the shopping centers. The NIMBYs in the surrounding neighborhood fought hard the creation of a street grid and connecting the two shopping centers together when Midtown Place was built in 1999. They certainly would not have allowed more density then if it was even warranted. That is why you see the large fence along the west side of the property- a neighborhood NIMBY request. The shopping mall it was replacing was a 'dead mall', and was across the street from City Hall East, a property 90% vacant. Do you remember the prostitutes that roamed the street in that area back then? I think Fuqua was taking a gamble in the 90's with this project. Walkability didn't come to the neighborhood until 2012 when the Beltline opened. I think it is clear now (even Fuqua admitted such) that these two properties currently don't match the use and density of the surrounding neighborhood in 2017. I think it is not realistic to expect some 90's fantastic mixed used development would have been built there, anticipating the beltline and all the new apartments 13 years later. In 1999, you could still have your pick of fix-er-upers in VaHighland. It was a very different neighborhood then.

I believe in the next 5 years, you will see at least small sections of these shopping centers redeveloped in a phased fashion. Perhaps they will start with tearing down the great-Clips, CVS, and Starbucks at Ponce and the Beltline.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I think it is not realistic to expect some 90's fantastic mixed used development would have been built there, anticipating the beltline and all the new apartments 13 years later. In 1999, you could still have your pick of fix-er-upers in VaHighland. It was a very different neighborhood then.
In all seriousness- did people in the neighborhood drive cars to north highland back then? There's a compromise between big box store, mega mixed use development, and nothing. I feel like Atlanta keeps getting it wrong- no matter if it was 1980 or 2017.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:44 PM

The Buckhead church next to magiannos is gone, so related's Buckhead tower should be rising soon

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Dude, do you not read? I've never said that I personally like Fuqua's projects. My statement was to look at the big picture, and not be so small minded. Everyone doesn't think like a lot of us do this board. There are a lot of people who support the businesses in Midtown, Buckhead, etc. who could careless about how urban something is, being that they live in the suburbs. This idea that everyone in Atlanta wants urbanism, is simply untrue. That's another reason why I was baffled that there are people so simple minded with not supporting the braves because they moved to Cobb County. I'm like do you not realize if it wasn't for the support of our suburbs, 80% of the businesses in Midtown alone would not flourish.
We need to be a city that DEMANDS great design, though, even if there are those few that couldn't care less about urbanism. Atlanta, a city that's always trying to present itself as an international destination, simply must override this ill-advised trend and demand we develop smarter. Period.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
We need to be a city that DEMANDS great design, though, even if there are those few that couldn't care less about urbanism. Atlanta, a city that's always trying to present itself as an international destination, simply must override this ill-advised trend and demand we develop smarter. Period.
Agree 100%. If people want suburban big box developments, live in Dunwoody.

I just don't get the argument that if a developer wants to plop down a Walmart with a 200 space surface parking lot on on 14th street in the heart of Midtown and people use the Walmart, that's it's validation that it's an appropriate development for the area.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Agree 100%. If people want suburban big box developments, live in Dunwoody.

I just don't get the argument that if a developer wants to plop down a Walmart with a 200 space surface parking lot on on 14th street in the heart of Midtown and people use the Walmart, that's it's validation that it's an appropriate development for the area.
Being a bit dramatic? I haven't seen anyone on this forum advocate for a big box development in an urban area such as 14th street in midtown. I haven't heard any pro-Walmart arguments either. i haven't heard any arguments advocating that big box developments with surface parking should be built in walkable areas, even walkable areas dominated by single family homes such as glenwood park.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:36 AM

I'm always amazed at how much love developments like Opus get. Look at that PARKING podium. How many cars will it house? It's built into the tower - never going away. I guess the fact that the jillion-space PARKING podium is mounted by an OK tower makes it palatable.

The vitriol is saved for Fuqua developments and his parking lots - which can be easily redeveloped when the time is right.

But those giant built-in parking deck monsters at Opus and across the street (the one disguised by a tacky graffitti mural) and elsewhere get a pass.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:05 AM

One persons great design is another person's trash! I read these comments and people act like Atlanta is a different beast then any other city across this country that was built after the interstate highway system. Guess what, its not. That doesn't mean Atlanta can't do better but there is not one city in America that doesn't have the same exact issues and debates....that is the way all American cities work even New York when you step out of Manhattan. Get real people, everything can be improved always, but don't lie to yourself and think other cities are any different.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; May 10, 2017 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:26 AM

Sorry about those massive photos. I still haven't figured out changing pixel sizes off mobile. Here's a Midtown shot to make up for it. Alta, Apogee, Post, Yoo, and Azure making an impact on the skyline

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry about those massive photos. I still haven't figured out changing pixel sizes off mobile. Here's a Midtown shot to make up for it. Alta, Apogee, Post, Yoo, and Azure making an impact on the skyline

Here's Midtown from the "utter" side yesterday.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:

Now this is a great shot.

Opus will look FANTASTIC in this shot.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
One persons great design is another person's trash! I read these comments and people act like Atlanta is a different beast then any other city across this country that was built after the interstate highway system. Guess what, its not. That doesn't mean Atlanta can't do better but there is not one city in America that doesn't have the same exact issues and debates....that is the way all American cities work even New York when you step out of Manhattan. Get real people, everything can be improved always, but don't lie to yourself and think other cities are any different.
Absolutely-- I totally agree (Somehow despite the rhetoric I think we are basically on the same side)-- We want a better city with great buildings--
In other news those photos are kinda BIG.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Absolutely-- I totally agree (Somehow despite the rhetoric I think we are basically on the same side)-- We want a better city with great buildings--
In other news those photos are kinda BIG.
Finally took the time to look into reducing sizes of images on imgur. if you add the lower case "l" to the end of a url before the .jpeg, it will display a smaller size.

Ie: if it was https://i.imgur.com/5cqomRC.jpg, use https://i.imgur.com/5cqomRCl.jpg instead to provide the smaller image

I updated my massive photos.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Finally took the time to look into reducing sizes of images on imgur. if you add the lower case "l" to the end of a url before the .jpeg, it will display a smaller size.

Ie: if it was https://i.imgur.com/5cqomRC.jpg, use https://i.imgur.com/5cqomRCl.jpg instead to provide the smaller image

I updated my massive photos.
Thanks!-- and thanks for the tip--

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:31 PM

I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post

I honestly don't understand your point. So there are similar development issues in other cities. Okay. So that means we shouldn't discuss them here? This site is specifically dedicated to urban development. Why shouldn't people express their thoughts, opinions and ideas on development in this city whether they like it, hate it or otherwise? That's the purpose of this forum.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Man people on these boards with an anything is better than nothing attitude would be completely overwhelmed in other cities, whether in person, at their town halls, or on forums like this. Such is the battle of living in Atlanta. Even many that consider themselves liberal in the sense of city planning are far from it. This is something I've noticed all over Atlanta, not just on the forums. That it's often difficult to find organized groups of true progressives, yet alone individuals of a similar progressive mentality.

FWIW, arguing "people on the east side of atlanta use fuqua's developments!" is trash because people would use any grocery store nearby if there was one. Just like midtown promenade. Sure it was built and it was used, but it would have been a lot better if they developed it appropriately the first time around instead of dealing with decade+ leases that prolong redevelopment of a massive amount of underutilized land.

Thank you! It's like saying if someone built a road connecting 2 major destinations in a figure 8 and then saying "well, see how many people use it, that's clearly what the people wanted." It's a garbage argument to justify stupid design decisions that like Verge mentioned do not have to be done to make something financially viable. It's not people being snooty and elitist, it's the difference between good and bad urban design. I agree there are a lot of people in this city (proper and suburbs) that have a different definition of what is urban and it's far off the mark.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Now this is a great shot.

Opus will look FANTASTIC in this shot.
Agree and agree! Now if only we can eliminate the overhead power lines ruining this awesome view!

So can we start taking bets how long it takes the EVIVA banners on their "construction" fence to become totally covered in graffiti and/or start ripping and falling to the ground in needless shame and embarrassment?

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:10 PM

Meanwhile in Houston ...

While we're debating Fuqua's suburban style development.

This project is a similar distance from downtown Houston as Atlantic Station is from downtown Atlanta.

96,000 sf grocer, 260 apartments, office Space

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations