HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 10:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Looking back at the proposed (I understand approved) design, though a little bland, if done nicely, I could easily see it accommodate a two-level space for a high end retail outfit, like H&M or Gap, etc.

Has any lazy journalist gotten a hold of Danny yet about his plans? Anything in ANS?
I am not sure about this building. I suspect it will take some more time to get started and to be leased since it wasn't clear up until a few weeks ago that it would be able to proceed.

My sense with areas like Spring Garden Road is that there is a lot of pent-up demand for higher-quality retail spaces for chains like H&M that cannot be satisfied by the spaces that are available today. It's the same on Barrington Street. The malls like Park Lane also seem to suffer from the lack of anchor tenants and don't appear to have suitable spaces for them. If they could attract something like Target I bet it would make a big difference.

City Centre Atlantic was totally dead at one point but then it was renovated for Pete's. I'm not sure how well the upstairs part is doing but Pete's alone is a huge draw and a huge improvement over what was there. Had the owners never renovated the space, I'm sure they would have struggled to find tenants for it and many people probably would have taken that as a sign that nobody wants to shop downtown or whatever. It's very similar to the stories where a business fails and then the owner blames the customers for not buying stuff. That way of framing things doesn't actually make sense. If you're setting up a business one of the first things you need to do is understand the market. If you're a landlord trying to lease out a space, you need to figure out what the demand is. If you fail to do this it's your fault, not the fault of potential customers who aren't buying something they don't want.

There are some legitimate grievances as far as the municipality goes, but my take on the downtown is that a lot of failures are actually due to a lack of business skill and creativity. One big piece of evidence for this is that there are plenty of success stories in the area, both in terms of retailers and in terms of real estate development and heritage restoration.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I am not sure about this building. I suspect it will take some more time to get started and to be leased since it wasn't clear up until a few weeks ago that it would be able to proceed.

My sense with areas like Spring Garden Road is that there is a lot of pent-up demand for higher-quality retail spaces for chains like H&M that cannot be satisfied by the spaces that are available today. It's the same on Barrington Street. The malls like Park Lane also seem to suffer from the lack of anchor tenants and don't appear to have suitable spaces for them. If they could attract something like Target I bet it would make a big difference.

City Centre Atlantic was totally dead at one point but then it was renovated for Pete's. I'm not sure how well the upstairs part is doing but Pete's alone is a huge draw and a huge improvement over what was there. Had the owners never renovated the space, I'm sure they would have struggled to find tenants for it and many people probably would have taken that as a sign that nobody wants to shop downtown or whatever. It's very similar to the stories where a business fails and then the owner blames the customers for not buying stuff. That way of framing things doesn't actually make sense. If you're setting up a business one of the first things you need to do is understand the market. If you're a landlord trying to lease out a space, you need to figure out what the demand is. If you fail to do this it's your fault, not the fault of potential customers who aren't buying something they don't want.

There are some legitimate grievances as far as the municipality goes, but my take on the downtown is that a lot of failures are actually due to a lack of business skill and creativity. One big piece of evidence for this is that there are plenty of success stories in the area, both in terms of retailers and in terms of real estate development and heritage restoration.
You've articulated really well, some of the systemic problems with some of the businesses in the downtown core, as well as landlords (though these problems also afflict Nova Scotia businesses/landlords elsewhere too). Small biz downtown do have a legit grievance about the advantages that big box have over them, in terms of city subsidies and unfair taxation, but they have problems too, which you've hit on the head.

I think part of it is the usual things like pessimism, negativity, and conservatism (just refusing to try something different), but also, perhaps mostly, an unwillingness to see the value in longer term returns on investment today.

The HMV space is a great example. Here is prime real estate, on a street with more foot traffic anywhere east of Montreal, that has basically sat empty for over a year, with big ugly "FOR LEASE" signs in the windows.

Whoever are the idiots who own that property, should have figured out that their price point is too high, or the space is in need of renovation to attract a higher end client. But no. It sits there, looking ugly and empt. No renovations going on. No changes planned. And the rest of us suffer with having a prime shop front vacant on a street that is otherwise improving and on the way up.

In other words, the landlords are just a bunch of cheapos, unwilling to spend a bit of money today, which if they had two clues to rub together, would mean a significant return in the long run, to land a significant anchor tenant that could re-define the street and also ensure a long time, high-rent paying tenant.

I know I've said it before elsewhere on SSP, but Halifax Shopping Center is a great example of a different mentality. The owners have truly invested in that place over the last 5+ years, making major renovations. And now, those investments are starting to pay off. They've aggressively courted big name tenants and won: Apple, Victoria Secret, H&M, Sephoria, etc.

And word is on the street, more are coming: Michael Kors, etc.\

Anyways. Yeah. someone123... you're bang on.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:46 AM

Construction is slated to begin on April 1st.

Source : "DANNY CHEDRAWE TARGETS APRIL START AT WINSBY'S" by Amy Pugsley Fraser (February 11th, 2014) - AllNovaScotia.com

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 7:46 PM

Awesome news. Didn't think it would happen so quickly.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:40 AM

Demolition starts next week. The plan is for excavation to commence immediately afterwards. The building permit is issued and encroachment fees have been paid. Birmingham will become one-way for construction and the sidewalks should reopen in November.

Source : "IT'S BYE BYE WINSBYS, SAYS DANNY CHEDRAWE" by Amy Pugsley Fraser (March 26th, 2014) - AllNovaScotia.com

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 3:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Has anything noticed any progress on the Winsby's building?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Has anything noticed any progress on the Winsby's building?
I walked by it last night and there is no sign of any activity besides the building being vacant

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
I walked by it last night and there is no sign of any activity besides the building being vacant
Yeah, looks like a sad, empty, dump.

I wish they'd get moving.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 9:12 AM

I'd say it looks like there's been progress. Windows are tarped off and it looks like there is probably asbestos abatement underway. Birmingham has been switched to one way traffic - not sure why this project made this happen, traffic on the street has essentially been "do it yourself" one way since the Sister Site project started.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:03 PM

Demolition has begun.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:56 PM

I happened to go by and notice the demolition as well;

Photo by Dmajackson a.k.a. Urban_Halifax on flickr.com

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:26 AM

The Winsby's building was down by last night.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 9:51 PM

Reporting that this still needs approval? http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...says-developer

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 10:45 PM

In that story, Chedrawe says development of the Doyle block (BMO, Fireside, etc) will happen "soon," which I find really strange, given that the Ottoman cafe opened there last year, and another business by its owner is slated to open. Plus the Fireside stayed put, and Sleep Country moved in. Doesn't seem like the retail actions of a block destined to be rubble soon.

And Jesus, let's get a heritage conservation district in play in the south end/Spring Garden area to afford some protection to non-designated properties like these. It's embarrassing that we only have one HCD in the whole city.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
In that story, Chedrawe says development of the Doyle block (BMO, Fireside, etc) will happen "soon," which I find really strange, given that the Ottoman cafe opened there last year, and another business by its owner is slated to open. Plus the Fireside stayed put, and Sleep Country moved in. Doesn't seem like the retail actions of a block destined to be rubble soon.

And Jesus, let's get a heritage conservation district in play in the south end/Spring Garden area to afford some protection to non-designated properties like these. It's embarrassing that we only have one HCD in the whole city.
yeah that part was really strange as well, I'm not sure if the redesign plans really include anything more than the BMO building but from a engineering perspective you could do a redevelopment along Doyle st with out demolition or displacing any of the spring Garden retail places, looking at it on street view you could put structural load bearing around those buildings, possibly?

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:15 PM

Bring in the dozers and get rid of the rodent infested buildings. How about a nice fresh start. Then we can knock down the old library building as well before we sink millions more into trying to make it work.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Bring in the dozers and get rid of the rodent infested buildings. How about a nice fresh start. Then we can knock down the old library building as well before we sink millions more into trying to make it work.
You have a funny username for someone that wants to dozer everything in the city.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
yeah that part was really strange as well, I'm not sure if the redesign plans really include anything more than the BMO building but from a engineering perspective you could do a redevelopment along Doyle st with out demolition or displacing any of the spring Garden retail places, looking at it on street view you could put structural load bearing around those buildings, possibly?
I feel like you could do a pretty substantial development on the block by demolishing the building in the middle (with Sleep Country) and building there, and then demolishing the rear addition to the Fireside building and constructing behind and above back there. Seriously, this block is a major contributor to the street, architecturally. Any developer who plans to just straight-up level it gets a major stink-eye from me.

I feel like Chedrawe is well intentioned as a developer (from previous interviews) but I'm not sure he gets the aesthetic and economy benefits of heritage from a development standpoint.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
You have a funny username for someone that wants to dozer everything in the city.
Guess that's the beauty of a city. Lots of options as to the parts we like.

I like our setting and I think we have some of the best weather in Canada. I like the Nova Center, and the new Library, and the Northwest Arm and the harbor. I like our bridges and our waterfront, Parade Square, TD tower, Public Gardens, Point Pleasant Park. Not too fond of all the old rat infested buildings left around from a by gone era.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Guess that's the beauty of a city. Lots of options as to the parts we like.

I like our setting and I think we have some of the best weather in Canada. I like the Nova Center, and the new Library, and the Northwest Arm and the harbor. I like our bridges and our waterfront, Parade Square, TD tower, Public Gardens, Point Pleasant Park. Not too fond of all the old rat infested buildings left around from a by gone era.
I'm fairly certain that a age has little or nothing to with a building's rodent population, but anyway...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth