HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 12:55 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Would be interesting to see a home run crash landing into the adjacent building's lobby.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Would be interesting to see a home run crash landing into the adjacent building's lobby.
I doubt that would happen looking at the renderings. There's a plaza with a lot of space between those buildings and the edge of the stadium.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 3:25 AM

Sox fan account rendering of the skyline view:

Source: @SoxOn35th

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 3:45 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post

[img]https://i.imgur.com/2nBRbRB.jpg

Hate it. If they built, the worst and most senseless thing they could do would be to block their vistas with miserable signage and oversized jumbotrons. Let the South Loop skyline be the majority of the show. In my opinion, the Cubs partially ruined Wrigely with the recent signage and oversized jumbotrons.

The unofficial renderings present the outside plaza and outfield concourses as integrated, giving it a true neighborhood park feel. I hope they keep that concept if this thing gets built.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 1:54 PM

Why didnt the bears think of building a stadium here?...seems like a great spot to just take up the majority of the 78 ...i think having the bears at the 78 and white sox go soldier field for some baseball retrofitted stadium would make more sense..

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Ya think? Seems to me the views would be pretty boxed in with the immediate development around it. Not sure how much more would be visible. In other words: Too inner city for their own good, lol. Still cool, though.
yeah. its a cool location but the views wouldnt be as dramatic as people here seem to think...at least from inside the park. it would make good TV B roll from a helicopter tho

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Still nowhere to watch the game in the shade, The Cell also had no shade, while old wriggly has more than enough shade for that classical old park.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:38 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Still nowhere to watch the game in the shade, The Cell also had no shade, while old wriggly has more than enough shade for that classical old park.
That's not true at all - there are plenty of sections that have lots of shade, even in the middle of summer, and I'm not just referring to the nosebleed sections, but even the 100 level areas; just depends on where you sit. Not to mention, there is plenty of shading after 3-5pm when the sun falls behind the western side of the stadium. Source: am season ticket holder.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That's not true at all - there are plenty of sections that have lots of shade, even in the middle of summer, and I'm not just referring to the nosebleed sections, but even the 100 level areas; just depends on where you sit. Not to mention, there is plenty of shading after 3-5pm when the sun falls behind the western side of the stadium. Source: am season ticket holder.
Also, most of their games are played at night.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Why didn't the bears think of building a stadium here?...seems like a great spot to just take up the majority of the 78 ...i think having the bears at the 78 and white sox go soldier field for some baseball retrofitted stadium would make more sense.
It would make more sense to remove most of the SF UFO's upper decking and make it a soccer field and reduce capacity in half for soccer and concerts.

Get rid of the upper levels but keep the press boxes, but cut the capacity roughly in half and not look like a UFO and show some more of the older field and the WWI original structure,

Swifties can watch her in the bears new dome anytime of the year, and we get a super bowl and a collage playoff game in addition to expanding what the convention industry can do with a 12-month facility.

The Dome for the Bears makes the most since and money for the city or county either in AH or DT. For the convention industry a Dome close on the south end of SF would be most productive, but even in AH there is convention possibilities although it would eat into McPlace, but it is still in Cook County in AH and more of the center of season ticket holders with money,

If done well, they could put in 85 K seats and still fill it full every game than for huge events have the ability to expand to 100k seats if possible. Think huge things too like the Democratic convention and even larger events.

A DT location would be a huge economic engine for the city.

If not, I would like to hear why not!

make no little plans

Last edited by bnk; Jan 19, 2024 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Well, the few times I was there it was a scorcher and I sat in Reindorf's seats, and on the other extreme the upper-level nose bleeds have little to no shade during June/ July day games.

And the bleachers are 100% in sun during day games, While Wriggly can get intense sun in midsummer in the bleachers its part of the experience and most are half in the bag before the game starts due to all if the bars with AC and can walk to the game.

Traveling busses from the Midwest, giant coach busses from all over the Midwest make it a pilgrimage.

It's not uncommon to see 20 fully laden modern huge busses from Iowa alone, for a day game.!!! At least from my memory 20 years ago, I expect even more now since all of the upgrades the Cubs Brass put into not only one of the oldest stadiums for NLB but the surrounding area, as much as people might not like the changes, it's a money-thing making machine!

The new ownership is smart and very wealthy, Not the worst conditions to be in honestly, Much improved over the previous ownership by far! It was not that long ago in geological terms the cubs won the world series championship and were very close to it several years before.

The Parking lots around the Cell produces nothing for the Sox. I'm a Cubs fan but would devastated if the White Stockings ever pulled out or their roosts.

I still want the Chicago NFL Cardinals to come back, but once a franchise leaves it's pretty much gone and never returns at least under the same name, and it has been way too long to resurrect it. Most of the NFL Chicago Cardinals fans are dead, just like the dead potential of Chicagoland getting even another expansion team if the NFL wants to try to keep expanding.

And the Bears hold the nuts and wouldn't approve of a new team in their market anyway, it's all about the money and us working stiffs have pretty much no say in this Billionaires ownership game, we are not even a factor regardless that we are the third largest TV market and the third largest metro in the USA.

Last edited by bnk; Jan 19, 2024 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 6:23 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
It would make more sense to remove most of the SF UFO's upper decking and make it a soccer field and reduce capacity in half for soccer and concerts.

Get rid of the upper levels but keep the press boxes, but cut the capacity roughly in half and not look like a UFO and show some more of the older field and the WWI original structure,
If money is no object (and it is a *very big* object given all the pressing needs for the city) - it would be great to get the White Sox at The 78, the Bears at 35th/Shields, and the Fire at a downscaled Soldier Field.

This way baseball gets an "urban village", football gets big open parking lots for tailgating, and soccer gets the lakefront park setting so the intrusive south lot can be returned to green space and the historic landmark SF returned to a better configuration.

Honestly the 3rd base side of Guaranteed Rate could probably repurposed as the north grandstand of a football stadium. Then you build a south grandstand and smaller east/west grandstands behind endzone. That might be something the Bears can actually afford privately. No dome.

BUT this is 3 ( or maybe 2.5) MAJOR stadium projects that all need to be paid for, and a big game of musical chairs that affects all 3 teams.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:

This isn't even close, imo. Look where the Sears Tower and 311 S. Wacker is. They're on the river. This stadium render is seemingly well across the river and oriented more east.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:22 PM

According to a new article, the unit count for the 78 will drop to 5,000 from the original plan of 10,000. That's a major loss in my opinion. The stadium will have 35,000-38,000 seats, 4,000 underground parking spots, and a new elementary/high school for thousands of students. Related Midwest is still insistent about building offices at the site...

U of I is apparently “beyond excited” about having the White Sox next door to DPI:
Quote:
“If you talk about why a kid wants to go to a school and why a professor wants to teach at a school and you put it in an environment like the one that would be created at The 78,” the source said, “it will make it one of the premier schools in the country immediately because of why people will want to be there.”
https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...ar-development

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Hate it. If they built, the worst and most senseless thing they could do would be to block their vistas with miserable signage and oversized jumbotrons. Let the South Loop skyline be the majority of the show.
Relax. Pretty sure it's just the current stadium with a photoshopped skyline.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 10:41 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Relax. Pretty sure it's just the current stadium with a photoshopped skyline.
That's exactly what it is; people's feathers are getting ruffled for no reason

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 11:15 PM

I’m confident this site will remain a giant urban prairie (with a road going through it) for the foreseeable future unless Related gets a big tenant, so I’m all for it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
According to a new article, the unit count for the 78 will drop to 5,000 from the original plan of 10,000. That's a major loss in my opinion. The stadium will have 35,000-38,000 seats, 4,000 underground parking spots, and a new elementary/high school for thousands of students. Related Midwest is still insistent about building offices at the site...

U of I is apparently “beyond excited” about having the White Sox next door to DPI:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...ar-development
If they can get offices at some point, it would make for a more interesting development. Office users create demand for food, etc during the day. And that is one potential positive of having a ballpark - this could become an activated riverwalk that is a draw for outsiders. Unlike a primarily residential riverwalk that tends to eschew entertainment or anything drawing non-residents.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 3:24 AM

duplicate

Last edited by Flaccer05; Jan 20, 2024 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 4:35 AM

I’m sure someone already mentioned this but that stadium is facing the wrong way. U would think the stadium would be facing the same direction as oracle park in San Francisco

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development