HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbo View Post
Vin, and thats not even an exaggeration

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/02/10...-of-Vancouver/
It does have this quote about the Sears building on Granville "its urinal skin is being stripped and replaced with something less appalling"

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It does have this quote about the Sears building on Granville "its urinal skin is being stripped and replaced with something less appalling"
Less appalling but an epic mish-mash nonetheless. Don't think 725 Granville will age well...

Drought or bust, there was a long period where no significant office buildings were built downtown. Regardless, when the current mini-boom of new office construction finishes it seems unlikely we'll have to wait 25 years for another office tower.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:33 PM

Software companies are highly collaborative and tend to like to have everyone on one floor in an open office plan if possible. With that in mind it's hard for me to imagine the concept of HootSuite taking up several floors on a tall, skinny downtown office building. As well downtown doesn't really fit their culture.

Of course big floor plates don't come up often. I guess Microsoft would have grabbed one of the better ones recently with the top of the Sears building.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbo View Post
Vin, and thats not even an exaggeration

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/02/10...-of-Vancouver/

Well, let's see if UBC produces better architects than foreign ones. This UBC professor seems to discredit the foreign architects coming to Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
What, you're too young to remember the Nineties and Noughts?
The late 80s was when we got the nonsensical view-cone policies shoved into our throats. 90s was a period when union-supported NDP was in power, dampening many business investments here. Hence no sound-minded developer would want to wrestle the City to have something tall built here. But still, there was no bust in office demands. Overall property value was in slow decline but no crash or anything like that was ever recorded.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The late 80s was when we got the nonsensical view-cone policies shoved into our throats. 90s was a period when union-supported NDP was in power, dampening many business investments here. Hence no sound-minded developer would want to wrestle the City to have something tall built here. But still, there was no bust in office demands. Overall property value was in slow decline but no crash or anything like that was ever recorded.
So many fallacies, so little time. The view cones were not shoved down anyone's throats, they were in response to residents' valid concerns about what makes Vancouver unique being lost. I realize this is a hard concept for fanboys to grasp.

Second, there was obviously a bust in demand or developers would have built office projects. The hidden hand of the market and all that...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 10:42 PM

I'm sorry but that is bullshit. If the cbd had no height restrictions and developers went crazy in that area do you honestly think that the views of the mountains would be lost?? That what makes vancouver unique would be forever lost?? Lol talk about being over dramatic. I realize this is hard for view cone lovers to grasp. Frankly, to say that those little sliver of mountain views that the view cones save is what makes vancouver special is insulting. The city as a hell of a lot more going for it than that. Give it some credit.

Last edited by osirisboy; Feb 25, 2015 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I'm sorry but that is bullshit. If the cbd had no height restrictions and developers went crazy in that area do you honestly think that the views of the mountains would be lost?? That what makes vancouver unique would be forever lost?? Lol talk about being over dramatic. I realize this is hard for view cone lovers to grasp. Frankly, to say that those little sliver of mountain views that the view cones save is what makes vancouver special is insulting. The city as a hell of a lot more going for it than that. Give it some credit.
Agreed100% At least for the CBD. Sure if they tried putting up walls of 40 storey buildings in Kits, that would be a different story. But to protect , as Osirisboy puts it, "little slivers of mountain view" in the CBD is a bit overdoing it. Anyway, there are already loads of places downtown and along Beach Avenue where you can't see the Sacred Mountains anyway. Get real.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you for this. Could not agree more. People are entitled to their opinions (of course) but I find some of them, as you so eloquently put it, insultingly dramatic stupidity absolutely ungrounded from reality.

What you want to build a 30 floor office tower??!!! Vancouver will no longer be special!! The mountains will disappear behind this dubai like supertall!!

Anyways now I'm being dramatic.....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Sometimes I think age should be required in a posters profile.

Yes, the views of the mountains would be lost. It doesn't require much intelligence to see that, you can see it in action with Shangri-La. Of course every architect and developer is going to think their project is special and deserves a relaxation of the view cones.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:55 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Viewcones / height limits are no longer to be discussed in this thread.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:57 AM

EDIT. CUT.

Ha I snuck my comment in at the same time as Red Paladin's reply.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Sometimes I think age should be required in a posters profile.
Great constructive response

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues