HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:44 PM
Editor

Well I went down to see the demolition. There was quite a large crowd. Here's a short video of it. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting them to be so punctual after it being delayed so many times, so I wasn't quite ready for when it started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10liimeD7qU

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 8:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
I was there too, I was up on the Holiday Inn roof but they kicked me off. I must have walked past your like 10 times trying to find a good vantage point. I eventually gave up and tried to get on other roofs and The Medical Science Building manager let me get up on their roof where there were a couple other people. You guys down there got smothered in dust pretty quick, I could see everyone running from where I was.

Last edited by photoLith; Jan 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 8:56 PM
Ex Houstonian

I have a bunch of pictures from todays demolition, so sorry for people who have slow internet speeds.

''

Last edited by photoLith; Jan 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 11:30 PM

Hi,
I'm a long time lurker in this forum, and I've noticed that some of you have posted links to my Flickr photos in the past. I thought I'd post my own YouTube video of the implosion here.

http://youtu.be/6Tvn9yY2BWY

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 1:57 AM
Dryer lint inspector

What a fucking shame...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 2:39 AM

Hard to believe people applauding something so sad. But then again, most of them weren't around when this building was actually appreciated for it's architectural style.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
I was there too, I was up on the Holiday Inn roof but they kicked me off. I must have walked past your like 10 times trying to find a good vantage point. I eventually gave up and tried to get on other roofs and The Medical Science Building manager let me get up on their roof where there were a couple other people. You guys down there got smothered in dust pretty quick, I could see everyone running from where I was.
Must have been really healthy for the people who inhaled the asbestos dust from the building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 5:06 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
What a fucking shame...
Thats Houston for ya. Weve lost a couple of good buildings in the last year. Obviously the one today, the old YMCA building, the gutting of the amazing interior of the deco Alabama Theater; Ive never been in there but heard that they had gutted it or are gutting it. Im sure Im missing a few others, not to mention the daily demolition of old houses in the Heights area.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 5:45 AM

Well Houston isn't NYC or similar city where space and land values are high enough to justify pouring the money into restoring older buildings. This building, along with the old YMCA were simply way too expensive just to bring up to code. Far cheaper to just demo and rebuild here.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 6:28 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Hard to believe people applauding something so sad. But then again, most of them weren't around when this building was actually appreciated for it's architectural style.
I don't really think most people in Texas really give a crap about architectural style in all honesty, especially when you consider they're very fiscally conservative and don't want to waste any "Taxpayer" money on restoring some old building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 3:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Well Houston isn't NYC or similar city where space and land values are high enough to justify pouring the money into restoring older buildings. This building, along with the old YMCA were simply way too expensive just to bring up to code. Far cheaper to just demo and rebuild here.
and that's why this city has almost zero character left to it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far...maybe not as much character as some other cities, but still up there!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
I disagree.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:33 PM
Houston:Considered Good

I'm glad they are tearing down this building and the YMCA building. Both were ugly buildings, the buildings replacing them will be much better. Especially the new YMCA building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherber View Post
I wouldn't go that far...maybe not as much character as some other cities, but still up there!
sure, there are a few areas around the city, the heights being one of them, that still have character but Houston is largely bland due to the fact that anything is up to being bulldozed for the sake of progress. The Water Wall was even in danger of being torn down until the city stepped in and bought the property.

@ Double L, they were knocked down for surface lots. There are long term plans for new buildings on those sites but downtown is full of surface lots that once had structures cleared for development that failed to come to fruition. Remember Shamrock hotel? There's a parking lot there.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 9:12 PM

Great photos though a shame for the building. It looked pretty good.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 9:14 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I'm glad they are tearing down this building and the YMCA building. Both were ugly buildings, the buildings replacing them will be much better. Especially the new YMCA building.
I'm guessing this is a joke. Both replacements were built at different locations, and neither site has anything planned for the foreseeable future. Also I certainly don't share your love of the new glass box that is the YMCA building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 9:36 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Are you kidding me, have you seen the new YMCA building? Its terrible looking and is only 2 stories tall. The Franzheim Building was not a gem, but it was an historic building and nearly 11 stories tall. The former location of the YMCA and the Prudential Life Building will sit as parking lots for the foreseeable future. The old YMCA spot will probably be a parking lot for decades I would imagine.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I don't really think most people in Texas really give a crap about architectural style in all honesty, especially when you consider they're very fiscally conservative and don't want to waste any "Taxpayer" money on restoring some old building.
You just characterized a large part of the U.S. Perhaps it's not that way in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 1:37 AM

Quote:
You can't be serious. The old Prudential Building, with the Rock of Gibraltar emblem, was a gorgeous structure in its prime.

As an aside, I saw on the news today that the main reason the building was demolished was that the foundation was failing, and it would have been prohibitively expensive to repair it, if possible at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations