HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 11:09 PM

DETROIT | Renaissance Center | 727 FT |1977

The defacto icon of Detroit, the Renaissance Center, or Ren Cen for short. Often thought of as a single building, it is actually 5 high rises atop a single podium. 4 of the 5 are office towers with the 5th and tallest of them a 72-floor hotel with restaurant on top. It is the tallest skyscraper in Detroit and can be seen from up to 40 miles away on a clear day.

Originally built by the Ford Motor company, today it serves as the headquarters of General Motors and includes retail and convention space within the podium. With over 5 million square feet of space, it ranks as one of the largest buildings in the world. It is so large, in fact, it has it's own zip code: 48243

It was designed by John Portman who also designed the Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta. In 2003, the podium was renovated from its cold hard brutalist entrance into a more modern and open interaction with Jefferson Street to the north and the Riverfront to the south.

In 2011, GM installed LED lights on the rings of the towers and 3 screens in place of GM's logos. This allows the Ren Cen to have dynamic signage and often during sporting events or certain holidays, the logo and colors will change to suit the event. The default settings a majority of the time is the GM logo with blue bands.

Video Link

My own pictures.

My personal opinion is that it's a love it or hate or building. It truly is a city within a city complex, and if it was connected to a residential complex, I think it would be possible to be a self sustaining complex. Though that's also it's downside, like many developments of its size and age, it's removed from the city core and the area around it is not the most pedestrian friendly except for the riverfront. It could be better, but it could also be worse.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 12:47 AM

It has certainly aged better than a lot of other corporate behemoths from this era.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 1:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Delta City!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 1:55 AM

IMO, This project's stark architectural design doesn't ' mesh ' well with the rest of Detroit's (historic) downtown skyline like Portman's ' Bonaventure ' does in Los Angeles or his ' Peachtree Plaza ' does in Atlanta. Renaissance Center, despite attempts to unite it with the rest of the CBD and make it more ' pedestrian-friendly ', cannot overcome the fact that it's STILL too visually aloof, clustered, and monolithic. Such is the problem with well-intended but badly-planned development(s).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 3:31 AM

I think that the stark contrast actually makes it work in Detroit (at least for me). Its position in the skyline is nice because it makes a statement while allowing other high buildings in Detroit to be showcased as well. What makes the Ren Cen so separated is the fact that no other tall buildings are immediately adjacent to it. The pedestrian-unfriendly Jefferson Ave separating the area from the rest of Downtown also contributes to this. I would imagine that if the Chrysler and Lodge freeways were to meet as a tunnel underground instead of a service boulevard (making Jefferson smaller in the process) that pedestrian activity would improve.

Last edited by JonathanGRR; Jan 3, 2013 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 3:51 AM

Some historical photos. Seems like original plans called for a taller central tower/shorter office towers.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...184775;size=20

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:10 AM

There were also supposed to be eight smaller towers (four on each side) instead of just the two that there are now.

Is there a percentage floating around of how full the Ren Cen is?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.jam View Post
I think that the stark contrast actually makes it work in Detroit (at least for me). Its position in the skyline is nice because it makes a statement while allowing other high buildings in Detroit to be showcases as well. What make the Ren Cen so separated is the fact that no other tall buildings are immediately adjacent to it.
I agree. I often travel to Windsor and it's very distinctive to see the Ren Center driving down the 401. To me it is a very iconic building, that looks good, and it's location is perfect in that it gives other buildings in the Detroit skyline room to show themselves, whilst still being the dominant building.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 8:44 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

My favorite views of the complex are actually from the city-side:

"Ren Cen" Outside Ford Field and Comerica Park by Evan Gearing (Evan's Expo), on Flickr

Detroit People Mover by taestell, on Flickr

I used to hate the thing, but the massive renovation to open it up to the city was actually very successful, if you ask me. If they ever get RiverEast up and running, it'll be an even better complex.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:48 PM

Quote:
There were also supposed to be eight smaller towers (four on each side) instead of just the two that there are now.

89% for office space.

56% for retail space.

Calculated based on what they said the total square footage was and just subtracted the space they had listed. This doesn't include the two shorter towers and parking garage.

http://www.gmrencen.com/Leasing/Listings.axis

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 3:06 PM

I have ate at the restaurant at the top. Very expensive, but the views were amazing. You can see all of detroit and winsor. The glass elavator to the top is the best part. Sadly, it doesnt spin anymore though.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 4:27 PM

The RenCen is actually seven towers, not five. There were two shorter towers added in the early 80's. They're connected to the main complex by skywalk.

I agree the RenCen is iconic and distinctive, but it's really a disaster. The public interior spaces have never worked, retail has never functioned, and the place remains a confounding maze.

Overall, it's a dystopian building that's symbolic of its age.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 5:02 PM
Come As You Are

The complex is way too fat. Looks like a blob.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:25 PM

Quote:

It is pretty full as the GM world headquarters and a successful hotel.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:30 PM

While it still acts as a giant fortress that separates a large portion of the city from the river, I think the recent improvements have gone a long way to making being in this building a pleasant experience. The remodeling of the podium and the winter garden were fairly successful. The addition of the new lighting at the pinnacle also did a lot for this building. It made it feel a lot more modern. In a way, I have always thought of this complex as the Midwest Rockefeller Center. Since I have to see it so often I have forced myself to like it rather than be annoyed with it ever time I drive by. Plus, there is no denying the impact that such a massive structure has. I am glad Michigan finally has at least one building with a forum page, especially since so many members are clearly from Michigan based on their pictures. It would be nice to see some more.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
While it still acts as a giant fortress that separates a large portion of the city from the river, I think the recent improvements have gone a long way to making being in this building a pleasant experience. The remodeling of the podium and the winter garden were fairly successful. The addition of the new lighting at the pinnacle also did a lot for this building. It made it feel a lot more modern. In a way, I have always thought of this complex as the Midwest Rockefeller Center. Since I have to see it so often I have forced myself to like it rather than be annoyed with it ever time I drive by. Plus, there is no denying the impact that such a massive structure has. I am glad Michigan finally has at least one building with a forum page, especially since so many members are clearly from Michigan based on their pictures. It would be nice to see some more.
Yea I was getting a bit surprised that at least the Ren Cen didn't have a page. I was thinking about doing a few of the other Detroit landmarks as well.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 8:37 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

I do not love this complex but at least it still looks reasonably modern after 36 years. That old berm on Jefferson was horrible; I am happy that GM removed it. To those that argue the hotel would look better without the four office buildings so close to it, I say it looks more distinctive this way.

The first time I went there in the 1980s, I remember almost getting lost in the confusing jumble of corridors, ramps, connecting pedestrian bridges, etc. I did mange to eat at the old Summit Place restaurant at the top; the revolving platform did work back then. The Coach Insignia restaurant now occupies the 72 floor.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 12:40 PM

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:35 AM

Not a fan of how symmetrical the complex is and how separate it appears from the city core. As long as GM is happy in Detroit though, that's well and good.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedious View Post
Not a fan of how symmetrical the complex is and how separate it appears from the city core. As long as GM is happy in Detroit though, that's well and good.
GM wanted to move to their headquarters to their Warren office but that was vetoed by the POTUS.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture