HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 9:49 PM

Plans released for Warman, Martensville overpasses

By Brent Bosker, NewsTalk 650 CKOM
October 13, 2015

The Ministry of Highways has decided on where two highway overpasses will be built for Warman and Martensville.

The Warman overpass calls for moving the main access point north. The new Highway 11 interchange will intersect with Highway 305 near the Legends Golf Course. "This will ensure an opportunity for future road network expansion while accommodating traffic during construction," said the ministry on its website.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/article/238831/plans...lle-overpasses

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Plans released for Warman, Martensville overpasses

By Brent Bosker, NewsTalk 650 CKOM
October 13, 2015

The Ministry of Highways has decided on where two highway overpasses will be built for Warman and Martensville.

The Warman overpass calls for moving the main access point north. The new Highway 11 interchange will intersect with Highway 305 near the Legends Golf Course. "This will ensure an opportunity for future road network expansion while accommodating traffic during construction," said the ministry on its website.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/article/238831/plans...lle-overpasses
That warman interchange occupies more than an entire quarter section of land, wow. For many people this will add an extra 8-10kms onto their odometer every round trip they make into Saskatoon, lol. But it will certainly save at least a few lives so I'm not complaining about it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 3:34 AM

Does anyone know if they plan to close the Main street entrance into Warman? Or will that still be an at-grade intersection?

Also the turn south of Martensville that people use that is also "at-grade"

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 9:22 PM

Meet the $2 billion 'Saskatoon Freeway' proposal

ALEX MACPHERSON, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
More from Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: December 2, 2015 | Last Updated: December 2, 2015 1:25 PM CST

The provincial government has replaced its plan to build a massive highway encircling Saskatoon with a more modest proposal: a freeway running three-quarters of the way around the city and a “major arterial” linking Highways 11 and 16 in the north with Highway 7 in the west.

The proposed perimeter highway has been scaled back and renamed the Saskatoon Freeway. It is now expected to run counter-clockwise from Highways 7 and 14 in the west over a northern river crossing and terminate at Highway 11 in the south.

“What we found through our studies is right now, and well into the future, there isn’t really a sound business case for the southwest portion of the freeway,” said Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure spokesman Doug Wakabayashi.

“Even with the projected growth in traffic volumes that we anticipate over (the next 30 to 40 years), there still would be significant excess capacity on South Circle Drive and the new bridge.”

Wakabayashi would not rule out planning to complete the circle sometime the future, but said there is no “positive” case for it right now.

[....]

http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...eeway-proposal

Credit Greg Pender
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...eeway-proposal

More images courtesy of @markZward2 on twitter

https://twitter.com/markZward2

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 12:13 AM

Here's a link for more info on Saskatoon freeway

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/as...ssion_%232.pdf

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 7:21 PM

I personally think it's excessive and unnecessary. All that is needed is a freeway link in the North to try to fix up the bunged 42nd st/Circle Dr N. One major bridge is required in the NE because that is where the city put most of the new neighborhoods without building a proper street network to handle the population. Upgrade Circle Dr E with one additional lane in each direction and teach drivers how to use acceleration lanes properly. Also get rid of the at-grade crossing at Laurier and Airport Dr on Circle Dr W.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
I personally think it's excessive and unnecessary. All that is needed is a freeway link in the North to try to fix up the bunged 42nd st/Circle Dr N. One major bridge is required in the NE because that is where the city put most of the new neighborhoods without building a proper street network to handle the population. Upgrade Circle Dr E with one additional lane in each direction and teach drivers how to use acceleration lanes properly. Also get rid of the at-grade crossing at Laurier and Airport Dr on Circle Dr W.
Arts..We agree on this one. I also would like to see Saskatoon and the Ministry team up to fix 42nd north to a proper free flow road make a proper interchange at Idylwyld and remove all lights west of Idylwyld on circle. A free flow system built within the city helps not only through-traffic but also helps inner-city

Also in this system interchanges need to be built

Marquis 16
Marquis 11
Warman Road 11
Removal of intersection 16 and 71st
Removal of intersection 11 and 71st
Boychuck 16

That would cover the majority with likely less than 750M as oppose to 2B

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Arts..We agree on this one. I also would like to see Saskatoon and the Ministry team up to fix 42nd north to a proper free flow road make a proper interchange at Idylwyld and remove all lights west of Idylwyld on circle. A free flow system built within the city helps not only through-traffic but also helps inner-city

Also in this system interchanges need to be built

Marquis 16
Marquis 11
Warman Road 11
Removal of intersection 16 and 71st
Removal of intersection 11 and 71st
Boychuck 16

That would cover the majority with likely less than 750M as oppose to 2B
Agree completely about how proper interchanges on a freeway benefits traffic in all parts of a city, not just those that happen to use the freeway... this is a point that seems to be lost on many of our city's decision makers.

Those opposed to freeways always bring up the induced demand argument, but they fail to realize the reason the freeway-arterial-collector-local hierarchy fails to work in some places isn't because it encourages more drivers, it's that they always take critical shortcuts when the roadways are actually constructed. 42nd St being the perfect example. Now there is no feasible fix because the corridor has been consumed and we face a multibillion dollar solution that wouldn't even be needed if they had not allowed uncontrolled at-grade access along it, as well as not appropriated land at the Idylwyld intersection to design a proper interchange.

I think it's absolutely crazy that between the city and the province they seriously were planning on TWO bridges within 1.5km of each other. McOrmond Drive/the parkway and the commuter bridge is going to be another example of poor usage of hierarchical roadways guidelines. They want it to be yet another arterial/freeway hybrid.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 12:15 AM
Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrolling View Post
[B][SIZE="5"]

More images courtesy of @markZward2 on twitter

https://twitter.com/markZward2

Was there any talk about when this "west connector" is actually going to be built?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 2:18 AM

All the roads they are suggesting to use already exist. (Beam road may however be gravel still. Im not sure though) they could literally order the signs tomorrow and put them up when they get in. I doubt anything will actually be built on the route as a direct consequence. The province just rebuilt the Dalmany Road/hwy 16 intersection so I doubt they are gonna do anything there. Some overpasses are already in the planning phase like those over highway 16 and 11 as well as the one over 22nd behind the Walmart in Blairmore and will be built eventually either way. If the city is smart they may be able to try and sell these overpasses as part of the project and get the province to help pay for them.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 3:18 PM

And Wanuskewin/Hwy11 intersection proves fatal again, this time taking an entire family. My blood is boiling over this. How many more?

http://ckom.com/article/449344/woman...le-fatal-crash

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
And Wanuskewin/Hwy11 intersection proves fatal again, this time taking an entire family. My blood is boiling over this. How many more?
Agree 100%. We are well past the time to do something about this deathtrap. Even though this most recent tragedy can be blamed on drunk driving, the mast majority of the all-too-regular serious collisions at this location cannot. Oddly enough, I don't think that there is anything particularly wrong with the design - if it was a lightly used interchange. Unfortunately, it is not and deaths will continue to mount.

As a Warman resident for many years, I have been through this intersection approximately 10,000 times, so I am aware of the high collision frequency and am very cautious when driving though it on the way into Saskatoon. For simplicity, I will refer to Highway 11 as running north-south and Waneskewin Road running east-west. Almost all of the collisions are the result of driver error, most of them due to visibility for west bound traffic on Waneskewin Road trying to cross Highway 11 being restricted because of long lineups of vehicles southbound on Highway 11 wanting to turn east onto Waneskewin Road. The vehicles wanting to cross the highway cannot adequately see the traffic approaching the intersection southbound on Highway 11. As a result, they either nose into the left through lane until they can see (meaning that they are partially blocking that lane) or, far worse, try to make a quick sprint through what they hope is an adequate break in the traffic.

I was shocked when the 90kmh speed zone was not placed at the Waneskewin corner at the same time that one was set up on Highway 12 adjacent to Martensville . Though lower speeds might not significantly lower the incidents of collisions, it would certainly impact the severity of them.

Although it will cause a delay in commuting time, I believe that the vast majority of Highway 11 users would be in favour of the immediate erection of traffic lights at this interchange. Is this the best solution? Certainly not, but until the Perimeter Highway is undertaken and the impact on Waneskewin Road is determined, we cannot realistically expect to see an overpass constructed there. One of the news reports on this tragedy mentioned the possibility of a high-speed traffic circle. In my opinion, high-speed and traffic circle don't belong in the same sentence. I'd be curious to see how that would work. I've also heard calls for the elimination of left turns from Highway 11 onto Waneskewin Road, however, I don't see that as being a realistic option, given the volume of traffic currently making that turn.

It's terrible that an entire family had to be killed in order to get some action, but I do believe this incident will finally be the straw that breaks the Highway 11/Waneskewin Road back and will result in changes being made.

Update: No Lights to be installed

Doug Wakabayashi from Sask Highways announced today that they would not be putting in lights at the corner, nor would there be and interchange as this intersection will be abandoned when the Perimeter Highway is constructed.

Quote:
"It's an urban fringe environment where drivers aren't expecting traffic lights," he said, adding they have studied data from other jurisdictions. "When you put traffic signals at those sorts of environments, any reduction you see in right angle and t-bone collisions is typically more than offset in rear end collisions and at highways speeds, rear end collisions can be very serious."

Residents won't see an overpass at the intersection either because of the future Saskatoon Freeway. The section of the freeway that connects with Highway 11 will create an overpass right next to the Wanuskewin turn. Once the overpass is complete, the Wanuskewin intersection will be closed.
Full story:
http://ckom.com/article/450674/minis...s-intersection

Last edited by Crisis; Jan 4, 2016 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:

Horrible, horrible tragedy. No matter what we build for road infrastructure, nothing can mitigate bad decision-making of drivers who are in a state of histo-toxic hypoxia.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:

Hard not to feel extreme rage over something like this... what a horrible tragedy. I don't consider myself an advocate for vigilante justice but it would be satisfying to see some meted out to the idiot who caused this to happen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rash-1.3388602

But that being said, there doesn't appear to be anything inherently dangerous about the intersection in question (judging by the Google map; I've never actually driven it). The problem is when some mouth breather imbecile gets loaded and gets behind the wheel.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Horrible, horrible tragedy. No matter what we build for road infrastructure, nothing can mitigate bad decision-making of drivers who are in a state of histo-toxic hypoxia.
I strongly but respectfully disagree.

There are notoriously bad locations, and this is one of them, which is all the more reason for drivers be sober, alert and undistracted (as required under law).

But absolutely the danger of this intersection can be mitigated so that normal drivers do not suddenly find themselves subject to an impaired driver's misjudgement, or if they do so that it is less lethal.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:56 PM

So if they don't want to ammend the 11/waneskewin intersection at all because it will be obsolete when the north freeway overpass is put in......what is wrong with builing the north freeway overpass a bit early and linking it to waneskewin as a grade seperation crossing in the mean time? seems like a simple solution but likely isn't (cost aside).

It just seems that unless the province gets hit on the head with a big bag of money (unlikely) that the north freeway won't be built any time soon. Meanwhile a dangerous intersection will continue taking lives.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
So if they don't want to ammend the 11/waneskewin intersection at all because it will be obsolete when the north freeway overpass is put in......what is wrong with builing the north freeway overpass a bit early and linking it to waneskewin as a grade seperation crossing in the mean time? seems like a simple solution but likely isn't (cost aside).

It just seems that unless the province gets hit on the head with a big bag of money (unlikely) that the north freeway won't be built any time soon. Meanwhile a dangerous intersection will continue taking lives.
Exactly what I was just thinking... They don't have to nail down the entire alignment before starting on this single part of it. The sooner there is a grade separated intersection the less chance of another person dying here needlessly (on top of all the other benefits they could realize by building this part of it now).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hard not to feel extreme rage over something like this... what a horrible tragedy. I don't consider myself an advocate for vigilante justice but it would be satisfying to see some meted out to the idiot who caused this to happen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rash-1.3388602

But that being said, there doesn't appear to be anything inherently dangerous about the intersection in question (judging by the Google map; I've never actually driven it). The problem is when some mouth breather imbecile gets loaded and gets behind the wheel.
It is only inherently dangerous when someone on Wanuskewin Rd or RR3052 needs to cross hwy11 or make a left onto it (which seems like virtually every time I drive hwy11). The sightlines are OK, but the speed of approaching cars seems too difficult for many people to judge or process.

When it comes to this kind of crossing I tend to be overly cautious when driving onto a high speed hwy, I give several hundred meters of space before pulling ahead (and I'm a hard accelerator) but there are usually too many vehicles to do this here, and stopping in the median is the worst thing to do because 1 in every 5 SB vehicles is making the left turn onto Wanuskewin so you gotta do all 5 lanes at once (and the crown of the road makes it hard to tell if approaching vehicles are in the left or right lane). Also those left turning vehicles make it hard to judge timing because it takes them a long time and distance to slow down. Knowing how many careless drivers there are in general I get incredibly anxious at locations like this, as do others and it only makes conditions worse.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
It is only inherently dangerous when someone on Wanuskewin Rd or RR3052 needs to cross hwy11 or make a left onto it (which seems like virtually every time I drive hwy11). The sightlines are OK, but the speed of approaching cars seems too difficult for many people to judge or process.
When it comes to this kind of crossing I tend to be overly cautious when driving onto a high speed hwy, I give several hundred meters of space before pulling ahead (and I'm a hard accelerator) but there are usually too many vehicles to do this here, and stopping in the median is the worst thing to do because 1 in every 5 SB vehicles is making the left turn onto Wanuskewin so you gotta do all 5 lanes at once (and the crown of the road makes it hard to tell if approaching vehicles are in the left or right lane). Also those left turning vehicles make it hard to judge timing because it takes them a long time and distance to slow down. Knowing how many careless drivers there are in general I get incredibly anxious at locations like this, as do others and it only makes conditions worse.
I'd disagree with a couple of points in your post which I've bolded. The number of SB vehicles turning left onto Waneskewin is exactly what obscures the sightlines at the intersection. As for the number of vehicles making that turn, I'd estimate that approximately half of the SB Highway 11 vehicles are turning onto Waneskewin during the morning commute.

At that time of day, I'd say that it's virtually impossible to safely cross Highway 11 from east to west all in one shot, as you suggest and not much better if you stop in the median area, as you still can't see.

It's just a terrible situation during peak traffic flow. Given that Highways are not going to install traffic lights it sounds like a reduced speed limit through there will be the most likely change. It won't fix the problem, but should somewhat lessen the carnage.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'd disagree with a couple of points in your post which I've bolded. The number of SB vehicles turning left onto Waneskewin is exactly what obscures the sightlines at the intersection. As for the number of vehicles making that turn, I'd estimate that approximately half of the SB Highway 11 vehicles are turning onto Waneskewin during the morning commute.

At that time of day, I'd say that it's virtually impossible to safely cross Highway 11 from east to west all in one shot, as you suggest and not much better if you stop in the median area, as you still can't see.

It's just a terrible situation during peak traffic flow. Given that Highways are not going to install traffic lights it sounds like a reduced speed limit through there will be the most likely change. It won't fix the problem, but should somewhat lessen the carnage.
I can agree with all your points. I drive that stretch about once a month but never during morning rush hour, and even then I have witnessed numerous bad judgements. Not long ago I looked up vehicle counts (from 2014 IIRC) and the stretch of hwy11 south of that intersection was 18500 cars daily, and 6000 on Waneskewin between 71st and hwy11) and I imagine nearly all of those 6000 made the left off of hwy11.

I just wonder why the director of highways doesn't see it the same way as you or I.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan